Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

And now for the protein in fruit
Posted by: kohlrabi_Croce ()
Date: June 13, 2006 06:23AM

Banana: 1.1% (2.5 grams out of 225 grams)

[www.nutritiondata.com]

apple: 3 tenths of one percent (.3 grams out of 100)

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Orange: 9 tenths one percent (.9 grams out of 100 grams)

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Kiwi: 1.1% (1.1 gram out of 100 grams)

[www.nutritiondata.com]

pineapple: 5 tenths of one percent which is 1/2 of one percent.
(.5 grams out of 100 grams)

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Would somebody please tell me where are the fruits that
have 3 to 5 percent protein?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: And now for the protein in fruit
Posted by: Brand new heart ()
Date: June 13, 2006 07:09AM

Try calculating the procentage without including the water content. E.g. oranges have 84% water in them so they actually have a 5,6% protein content.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: June 13, 2006 09:12AM

Kohlrabi

You forgot cherimoyas.

1.7 grams out of 100 7% calories from protien

kohlrabi also has 1.7 grams out of 100 15% calories from protein

human milk or mothers 1.6 grams out of 100 I think it is about 10% protien

When they say 3 to 5 % they are talking about the breakdown of carbs,fats and protein that is my guess.

From as long as I can remember and way before little babies in most parts of the world were breastfed on mothers milk.

It has been only from the advent of the industrial age with all its science that we in the so called modern world sold an alternative to human milk for growing ones.

Love peace and Happiness,
Cherimoya

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 13, 2006 03:23PM

Why do people who advocate a diet mostly of fruits always make the "human milk" comparison? Human milk also contains about 54% fat for the growing baby's brain. So if you want to judge human milk as the "ideal" food you should be eating coconuts all day (which actually probably wouldn't be too bad, some Polynesians reportedly get over half their calories from saturated coconut fat and do great, I wouldn't recommend any other nut as a staple though!).

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 13, 2006 03:27PM

Avocado springs to mind as a high protien fruit. 2% protien by weight, 4% protein by caloric ratio.

Although you are probably asking intending to go raw percentage by weight, but the humble tomato, which only has %1 protein by weight, has 17% by caloric ratio. Sundried tomatoes come in a whooping %14 protein by weight.

Ian

Posted by: cfd7f ()
Date: June 13, 2006 03:27PM

Kohlrabi, you are misreading the nutrition charts on the website you sent us. For example, look at the information for apples. It shows that 2% of an apple's calories come from protein -- very different from the 3/10 of a percent you are quoting (which is not based on calories but on gross mass). You have also misinterpreted the information you have read here. The point is not that the fruits are 3-5% protein by mass, but that they provide 3-5% of their calories in the form of protein calories. Those are two very distinct things. The recommendation from the WHO is not that you get at least 5% of the gross mass of your food to be protein, but that you get at least 5% of your CALORIES as protein calories. Do you see the difference?

So, looking at the examples you provided (and using the links you also provided) bananas get 4% of their calories from protein, oranges get a whopping 7% of their calories from protein...do you see where I am headed?! There are your 3-5% fruits you are looking for.

Hope that helps!

Raw Daddy -- livin' raw and lovin' it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2006 03:30PM by cfd7f.

Date: June 13, 2006 03:50PM

cherimoya Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kohlrabi
>
> You forgot cherimoyas.
>
> 1.7 grams out of 100 7% calories from protien
>
> kohlrabi also has 1.7 grams out of 100 15%
> calories from protein

Cherimoya,
no, 1.7 grams out of 100 grams is 1.7 percent. That' so basic
it's like first grade level. Please please learn about this.

>
> human milk or mothers 1.6 grams out of 100 I think
> it is about 10% protien

no it isn't, it's lower protein than that. But I wasn't
going to get into milk...

>
> When they say 3 to 5 % they are talking about the
> breakdown of carbs,fats and protein that is my
> guess.

I believe they are just mistaken.

>
> From as long as I can remember and way before
> little babies in most parts of the world were
> breastfed on mothers milk.
>
> It has been only from the advent of the industrial
> age with all its science that we in the so called
> modern world sold an alternative to human milk for
> growing ones.

That has nothing to do wiht fruit though.

>
> Love peace and Happiness,

thank you...

Date: June 13, 2006 03:57PM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
> Avocado springs to mind as a high protien fruit.
> 2% protien by weight, 4% protein by caloric
> ratio.
>
> Although you are probably asking intending to go
> raw percentage by weight, but the humble tomato,
> which only has %1 protein by weight, has 17% by
> caloric ratio. Sundried tomatoes come in a
> whooping %14 protein by weight.
>
> Ian

Ian, you already saw the mr. lettuce and mr. peanut illustration.
I don't get why you still don't get it...

I will post it again then.

tomato: 1.1 % protein. (1.1 grams out of 100 grams)

[www.nutritiondata.com]

You have to go down to the ugly tables with the green and black bars.
Go to the one that says: protein & amino acids.

I don;t really feel up to dealing with the limiting amino
acid business at the moment. We're still at the mr. lettuce
and mr. peanut level.

Date: June 13, 2006 04:01PM

cfd7f Wrote:
> Kohlrabi, you are misreading the nutrition charts
> on the website you sent us. For example, look at
> the information for apples. It shows that 2% of
> an apple's calories come from protein -- very
> different from the 3/10 of a percent you are
> quoting (which is not based on calories but on
> gross mass). You have also misinterpreted the
> information you have read here. The point is not
> that the fruits are 3-5% protein by mass, but that
> they provide 3-5% of their calories in the form of
> protein calories. Those are two very distinct
> things. The recommendation from the WHO is not
> that you get at least 5% of the gross mass of your
> food to be protein, but that you get at least 5%
> of your CALORIES as protein calories. Do you see
> the difference?
>
> So, looking at the examples you provided (and
> using the links you also provided) bananas get 4%
> of their calories from protein, oranges get a
> whopping 7% of their calories from protein...do
> you see where I am headed?! There are your 3-5%
> fruits you are looking for.
>
> Hope that helps!

No. @% DV means 2% of daily value. Forget that, we are still at the
mr. peanut and mr. lettuce level here. Let's look at the actual math,
the pure amount of grams per grams of apple. Those are the numbers I'm giving
you.

I'm going to re-post the mr. peanut and mr. lettuce story.

Date: June 13, 2006 04:04PM

Re: how to get enough protein
Posted by: Ally (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2006 04:33PM

Good point, ThomasLantern. And it's probably the most important point.

But there IS a right way and a wrong way to read the nutritiondata charts if that's what you're into. And that's pretty much what Kohlrabi seems to be saying.

So here's a simpler explanation of what I entered previously:

Suppose You (and everybody you know) believe it takes 100 million dollars to make you rich. Your friend, Mr. Lettuce calls you up on the phone and says, "hey You, 18% of everything I own is in cold, hard cash, and I'll give You all of that cash!"

You say, "Wow, OK, I'm coming right over!" You think, wow, that's probably not yet enough to make me rich, but I bet if Mr. Lettuce gives me 18% of everything he owns, his RELATIVES will all give me the same amount, and then I'm going to be RICH!

So You drive over to Mr. Lettuce's house and he hands you 18 cents. You say, "What's this? I thought you said you'd give me 18 percent of everything you own".

Mr. Lettuce says, "Well I DID give you 18% of everything I own, because the only other things I own are a notebook and a pencil worth 82 cents. I only had 1 dollar worth of stuff."

Mr. Lettuce can see you are pretty pissed off, so he gives you the notebook and the pencil too. Now you've got everything Mr. Lettuce had, but you still only have 18 cents and a notebook and a pencil. Obviously you are not yet rich. And even if ALL of Mr. Lettuce's relatives gave you everything they had, it would still not add up to much, because you know they don't have much more than what Mr. Lettuce had.

But you decide to keep the notebook and the pencil because you need them anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, your friend Mrs. Peanut calls you up on the phone. She says, "Hey You, I'll give you 75% of all you will need to be a rich person".

Wow, that's more like it! As I said at the beginning of the story, everybody knows you need 100 million dollars to be rich, so 75% of that is 75 million dollars! So you drive over to Mrs. Peanut's house and she hands you 75 million dollars!

That's great, but you notice Mrs. Peanut still has a lot of stuff in her house. So you say, "wow, how can you give me 75 million dollars and still have all that stuff in your house?"

Mrs. Peanut says, "Well that 75 million dollars was only 16% of everything I own." She sees you'd like to have more than just money, so she gives you everything else she owns too.

Wow, you're almost rich now! All you need is 25 thousand dollars more to get 100 million dollars, and then you will be rich. Well you're a really lucky person because all of your friends have SOME money that they want to give you. With all of them giving you SOMETHING, you end up with 100 million dollars and you are rich!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how does that relate?

When Mr. Lettuce tells you that his cash amounts to 18% of everything he owns, it's just like looking at the CALORIC RATIO chart at the top of the page for romaine lettuce and seeing that the protein is 18% of every calorie in lettuce. It sounds like pretty much, but just like Mr. Lettuce's 18 cents doesn't contribute anything toward your getting rich, the 18% of protein in lettuce doesn't contribute anything toward your getting enough protein in a day. You can verify that by looking at the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart on the lettuce page. The PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart will tell you that the serving of lettuce gives you 0 percent of the protein you need in a day. You won't find that out from looking at the CALORIC RATIO chart.

On the other hand, when Mrs. Peanut tells you she has 75% of what you need to be rich, you're now on the right track, because it's just like you're already looking at the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart on the peanut page. It tells you that the serving of peanuts gives you 75% of the protein you need in a day, even though, according to the CALORIC RATIO chart, peanuts is only made up of 16% protein.

You have to understand what the charts are saying if you want to get the right information.

That doesn't mean lettuce is bad, it has other good stuff in it, just like the notebook and pencil Mr. Lettuce gave you (you needed them to write down Mrs. Peanut's address).

But lettuce doesn't have a lot of protein to give you, just like Mr. Lettuce didn't have a lot of cash to give you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now here's the BIG question! Some strangers walk up to you and tell you that you don't REALLY NEED 100 million dollars to be rich! Do you believe them?

Now THERE'S a question really worth debating! (It looks like that's what's already happening, but it's still good to understand the charts if you're going to use them to make a point!)

-Love, Ally

Date: June 13, 2006 04:06PM

kohlrabi_Croce Wrote:
> sodoffsocks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Avocado springs to mind as a high protien
> fruit.
> > 2% protien by weight, 4% protein by caloric
> > ratio.
> >
> > Although you are probably asking intending to
> go
> > raw percentage by weight, but the humble
> tomato,
> > which only has %1 protein by weight, has 17% by
> > caloric ratio. Sundried tomatoes come in a
> > whooping %14 protein by weight.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Ian, you already saw the mr. lettuce and mr.
> peanut illustration.
> I don't get why you still don't get it...

ERRR? What part don't I get? Sorry by other than being out by one tenth of a percent, there is nothing different between I've just said and you said (other then you claim that I "still don't get it", then state what I stated).

Did you even read what I wrote?

Geez, I guess I should to start keeping of list of people to not bother replying to...

Date: June 13, 2006 05:08PM

You still don;t get why looking at protein content in
terms of calories is not the correct way to figure out
protein. Ally already explained it.

So if you don;t want to know about that, that's up to
you.

Date: June 13, 2006 08:20PM

Kohlrabi

I don't know whether you mean to be it, but you're being a snot-nosed jerk. If you get it so well, then explain it to us in plain English rather than referring to Ally's story. Obviously that isn't working for everyone. You have approached this in an antagonistic manner. People have responded trying to be helpful and you've been an a**.

So, please, the floor is yours. Explain your wisdom to us in plainspeak. Because Ally's story doesn't do much for me, and I don't agree with the logic. My lifelong understanding of calories and nutrients suggests that Ally's story is incorrect in many ways. For example, looking at the peanut example, a serving of peanuts isn't going to give you 75% of your protein. You would have to consume an adequate quantity of peanuts (read, calories) to get an adequate amount of protein.

Yours,

Date: June 13, 2006 09:45PM

kohlrabi_Croce Wrote:
> You still don;t get why looking at protein content
> in terms of calories is not the correct way to figure
> out protein. Ally already explained it.

WAIT A MINUTE! The links you are posting contain protein content in terms of calories, and now you are saying they are wrong? Why you are spouting this stuff if you think it's wrong?

Can you tell me what is wrong with it? And why if it's wrong just about all scientific sources quote that information?

Have you noticed that DV isn't in grams, it's in calories? That's why all those sources are listing protein in terms of grams of calories....

> So if you don;t want to know about that, that's up to you.

Haha, I think you've got a lot to learn about this, but since you don't read what other people are writing, you stand little chance of learning.

Read the posts, everybody is (well, was) trying to be helpful and nice and answer your (loaded) question. You in turn act like a, to use cfd7f's term, "jerk" and dismiss any post that contains protein listed in terms of calories in a rude fasion.

Maybe you could start by explaining why caloric based protein counts are not useful for you purpose? (Although they are important for anybody trying to calculate the amount of protein in their diet.) Maybe you could explain what the purpose of your original question is....

Ian.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 14, 2006 02:53AM

Dear cfd7f et al,

You are mistaken I believe, when you say "a serving of peanuts isn't going to give you 75% of your protein". In fact, that's IS EXACTLY what the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart IS saying. And that is EXACTLY what % DV means on EACH of the charts (not just the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart, but also the VITAMINS chart, THE MINERALS chart, etc.).

% DV (daily value) indicates what percent of the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) has been supplied by the selected serving (in this case 1 cup - see top of page).

The whole reason the charts are set up this way is so people can add up the % DVs of a specific nutrient (vitamin, mineral, protein, etc.) for EACH of the specific foods they are eating to see if their daily food intake meets the RDA for that specific nutrient. If your food intake adds up to 100% (or more) DV FOR ANY SPECIFIC NUTRIENT, then you have met the RDA for that nutrient. It's really very simple once you know how to do it.

The site is flexible in the serving size. Note the serving size at the top of the page. You can change the serving size to grams, ounces, etc. If you are checking protein, then each time you change the serving size, the number of grams of protein in the PROTEIN AND AMINO CHART and the % DV in the PROTEIN AND AMINO CHART will change. For example you get more grams of protein and a higher % DV of protein from 1 cup of peanuts than from 100 grams. That is because there are more peanuts in 1 cup than in 100 grams.

But check this out. No matter how you change the serving size, you will always get the same percent of protein in the CALORIC RATIO chart at the top of the page. The CALORIC RATIO chart has useful information ONLY if you are on a low fat or low carb diet (that's why it's on the top of the page, those diets are very popular - and read the info to the right of the CALORIC RATIO chart), but there's no way you can use that chart to see if you are getting ENOUGH protein, because no matter how you tweak it (change the serving size), it will always remain the same. So how do you know if 18% of the calorie intake is enough protein? There's no way to tell from that chart.

Speaking of the CALORIC RATIO chart. Notice the protein percent for peanuts in the CALORIC RATIO chart is 16%. Now check the same chart for romaine lettuce. Lettuce is l8%. Does that mean you get more protein from lettuce? No way. And having to adjust the percent by taking out the water would certainly make these charts user UNfriendly to say the least (plus you would still have the same reading no matter what the serving size).

You don't have to believe me, but if you are curious and really want to know what the charts mean, take copies of charts for each of the things you eat in a typical day to any certified nutritionist or any doctor and ask them how to tell from the charts if you are getting enough protein, vitamins and minerals AND ASK THEM TO EXPLAIN TO YOU HOW THE CHARTS WORK. IT'S THEIR CHARTS. THEY WOULD KNOW.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since protein seems to be a very sensitive issue on a raw food forum, let's try using the charts to determine if we are getting enough vitamin A (using www.nutrition.com,).

Say today we ate 2 oranges, 1 cup walnuts, and 3 cups shredded ICEBURG lettuce and we want to know if that's enough vitamin A.

First we go to the (Florida) oranges page. We adjust the serving size (at the top of the page) to the largest size orange. We go down to the VITAMINS chart and we see that ONE orange gives us 7% DV of vitamin A. Since we ate 2 oranges, we double the DV and we get 14% DV of vitamin A.

Then we go to the (English) walnuts page. We see that the serving size at the top of the page is 1 cup chopped walnuts, same as what we ate. We go down to the VITAMINS chart and we see that the 1 cup of walnuts gives us 0% DV of vitamin A. So we can't add any vitamin A for that.

Last we go to the ICEBURG lettuce page. We see at the top of the page that the serving size is 1 cup. We go down to the Vitamins chart and we see that 1 cup of iceburg lettuce gives us 6% DV of vitamin A. Since we ate 3 cups, we triple the DV and we get 18% DV of vitamin A.

Next we add everything together. 14% DV from the 2 oranges
0% DV from the cup of walnuts
18% DV from the 3 cups of iceburg lettuce.

That all only adds up to 32%. Since we are not getting anywhere near 100% DV, we can conclude that we are not getting enough DV (daily value) of vitamin A to meet the RDA (recommended daily allowance).

So, what do we do? First, we change the lettuce to RED LEAF lettuce. 3 cups of ICEBURG only gave us 18% DV of vitamin A. But 3 cups of RED LEAF will give us 75% DV of Vitamin A!

So instead of adding the 18% DV for ICEBURG, we add the 75% DV for RED LEAF to the 14% DV for the 2 oranges and we get 89% DV. We're almost at 100% of our vitamin A RDA. All we need to do is eat 2 more oranges for another 14% and we will be over 100%.

28% DV from the 4 oranges
0% DV from the 1 cup of walnuts
75% DV from 3 cups of red leaf lettuce

If we add it all up, we will see we have actually eaten 103% DV of vitamin A, just a little more than the daily requirement (or RDA).

To find out if you are getting enough protein from whatever you eat in a day, you do the same exact thing, but using the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart, and in fact you can narrow that down to specific amino acids using the exact same process.

It's easy once you get the hang of it. You can prove to anybody that by USDA standards you are getting all of the nutrients you need from a raw food diet. That is useful information.

If you're still not sure, do consult with a doctor or nutritionist who you trust that really knows how to use the charts. You often can't find an alternative healer who understands the charts. That's because it's NOT THEIR CHARTS. The nutritionists devised these charts, and they will be the ones you can trust to understand them.

In my opinion, the most important chart for raw food vegans is the MINERALS chart.

The real debate on protein is how correct is the protein RDA? The % DVs are all set to the established RDA. According to my nutritionist, the established RDAs for all the nutrients were doubled to make sure everyone got enough of everything.

Love, Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2006 03:07AM by Ally.

Date: June 14, 2006 03:22AM

If you find that the first part of my above post is a bit complicated, try the second part below the divider. Just follow the steps and you will have done the "hands-on" learning thing. Once you can do it with vitamin A, you can do it with MINERALS using the MINERALS chart, and even PROTEIN using the PROTEINS AND AMINO ACIDS chart.

If you're still having trouble or if you are in doubt, make copies of the charts for each of the foods you eat in a typical day and ask a doctor or nutritionist how you can use the charts to determine if you are getting enough of each of the nutrients. Remember, it's THEIR charts. THEY know how to use them.

Once you know how to do it, you can use the charts to show your friends that a raw food diet can supply even the government's RDA for all the nutrients (except B12).

-Love, Ally

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 14, 2006 03:29AM

Fruit-based raw-diet simple daily-menu example: 12 bananas, 2 heads of lettuce and 7 slices of avocado. This gives 35g protein (1972 cal, carb:protein:fat ratio approx 82:8:10). Plenty. smiling smiley

Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2006 03:34AM by rawgosia.

Date: June 14, 2006 07:09AM

> rawgosia wrote:
> Fruit-based raw-diet simple daily-menu example: 12 bananas,
> 2 heads of lettuce and 7 slices of avocado. This gives 35g
> protein (1972 cal, carb:protein:fat ratio approx 82:8:10).
> Plenty. smiling smiley

Nice!

I looked up the values for a similar diet on netritiondata.com[1] and got similar results: 12 medium bananas, 2 heads of romaine lettuce and 2 california avocados. This gave me: 36.24 grams of protein, 1946 calories. Not that I doubted your claim, just want to provide independent verification. In fact, if this hadn't sound so accurate I wouldn't have taken the time to verify it.

According to the US RDA minimum, this the purfect amount for a 6 foot tall female weighing 160lbs[2], or a 172lbs 5 foot 11 inich male who works out. Accord to this page which claims to be quoting/calculating the correct amount: [www.indoorclimbing.com]

This diet isn't too different to the diet I eat. I eat about half the bananas, but many nuts, seeds and oils. I'm a 195lbs 5'10.5" male who works out (either running 5K or kayaking 10+miles per day, among other activities things). I look in the mirror and I know I'm getting enough protein, although too shy to post pictures. ;-)

Ian.

[1] Depending on the serving size, the actually mass % of protein varried by up to 30% (of the quoted % mass, the actually % varried by no more than 2%). This could be due to an over simplification of round on the part of the website, where they are rounding the grams of protein to the nearest gram, the gram value is then used to calculate the % value.

[2] The ideal weight calculation used in the website above is based on the current standard BMI scale, which I think is total BS unless you are exactly "average". There is a more accurate BMI calculation based on the ratio of hip to stomic circumefrence ratios.

Date: June 14, 2006 07:37AM

I think it might actually be better to go to a licensed nutritionist rather than a doctor if you want help with the charts, since doctors don't really have much training in nutrition.

Rawgosia,

Knowing the number of grams of protein you get in a day DOES help you determine whether you are getting sufficient protein for that day, but ONLY if you ALSO know how much TOTAL protein you SHOULD be getting (the RDA for the specific food). If you know that, right on. If however you don't have that information, there is not much reason to bother counting up the grams.

But if you DO know the RDA for protein (somewhere between 44 and 56 grams of protein depending on your size, age, gender, and activity level, according to my 1984 World Book Encyclopedia), do you also know if the foods you listed are giving you adequate IRON or CALCIUM? Knowing how to use the % DV in the MINERALS chart on nutritiondata.com for each of the foods you listed will give you that information. Protein, likewise if you look at the % DV in the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart.

Rawgosia, just for the heck of it, let's use the % DV to analyze the foods you listed for iron and calcium, and then finally protein.

First iron:

We go to the raw bananas page, adjust the serving size at the top of the page to 1 large banana. The % DV for iron from 1 large banana is 2%. We multiply that by 12 because you ate 12 bananas (I like bananas too), and you get 24% DV so far for iron.

Then we go to (just for example) the romaine lettuce page. We adjust the serving size at the top of the page to 1 head of lettuce. The % DV for iron from 1 head of lettuce is 34%! We multiply that by 2 because you ate 2 heads of lettuce and we get 68% DV for iron.

Already, if you add up the % DVs from the bananas and the lettuce for iron, you have received 82% DV for iron, or 82% of the RDA (recommended daily allowance) for iron.

So we go on to the avocado page (for all commercial avocados). I don't really know how much seven slices of avocado is, but let's say you ate 2 avocados. We adjust the serving size to 1 avocado. The % DV for iron from 1 avocado is 2% DV. We multiply that by 2 because you ate 2 avocados and we get 4% DV for iron.

We add the 4% DV to the 82% DV that you already have from the bananas and the lettuce, and you get 86% DV. That means you have consumed 86% of the RDA.

That's probably sufficient. Remember these figures vary depending on size, age, and gender. You might want a little more iron if you're pregnant.

Calcium:

Figure it the same way, you get 66% DV or 66% of the RDA for calcium. I don't know if I'd consider that to be sufficient for calcium. I would eat some UNhulled sesame seeds or some sunflower seeds to bring it up, or maybe add some collards or kale to my lettuce meals.

Protein:

Figure it the same way, you get 82% DV or 82% of the RDA for protein. That's probably sufficient since you're a female with a small build (unless maybe you're pretty tall).

If you use the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart to count up the grams rather than the % DV, you will get 51.4 grams of protein, which is right in there if you consider the RDA for protein is between 44 and 56 grams.

Love, Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2006 07:42AM by Ally.

Date: June 14, 2006 08:27AM

There seems to be some discrepancy between my protein analysis of rawgosia's day (51.4g) and the analyses from rawgosia and from sodoffsocks (35g and 36.24g respectively [and respectfully]).

I just checked it again. VERY IMPORTANT: I got my figure from the column called "amounts per selected serving" inside the PROTEINS AND AMINO ACIDS chart.

I adjusted the serving size to 1 large banana and multiplied that figure (2.5g) by 12 (for 12 bananas) to get 30g protein.

I adjusted the serving size to 1 head romaine lettuce and multiplied that figure (7.7g) by 2 (for 2 heads) to get 15.4g protein.

I adjusted the serving size to 1 avocado (all commercial) and multiplied that figure (3.0g) by 2 (for 2 avocados) to get 6.0g protein.

I added up 30g (bananas) plus 15.4g (romaine) plus 6.0g (avocados) to get the total of 51.4g protein. It comes out to more protein than either analysis by rawgosia or sodoffsocks.

If you're using nutritiondata.com, you have to make sure you're using the column called "amounts per selected serving" inside the PROTEINS AND AMINO ACIDS chart.

For further verification on how to use the charts, it is a good idea to consult a licensed nutritionist.

Love and best to all, Ally

Date: June 14, 2006 02:12PM

Ally,

Ironically, your explanation of the charts and my understanding of them match exactly. I think that many people on here, however, have taken the WHO recommendation (which is that a certain percentage of yur daily calories should be in the form of protein). Using that, they then use the caloric ratio charts to determine that for their overall caloric intake, they are getting at least x% of those calories in protein. This is why eating one whole cup of peanuts will provide you with 75% of your RDA for protein - eating a cup of peanuts will not only provide you with the protein, but also a whopping 828 calories. 16% of those calories will be in the form of protein (38g) which is equivalent to 75% of the RDA (in this scenario). So, reason follows, that if you ate an equivalent number of calories of lettuce (which would be a ridiculous amount of lettuce) you would get MORE protein from that lettuce (which provides 18% of its calories in the form of protein). You have to adjust for serving size and caloric intake, otherwise your explanation doesn't make any more sense than mine. The reason that 0% of your RDA for protein is provided by lettuce, is that a serving a lettuce provides very few calories anyways, so you'd have to eat a lot to make any difference whatsoever.

I do like the idea of getting calls from Mr. Lettuce and Mr. Peanut though. And please note, I am using ONLY protein in my example (since that was how this whole thread started), not Vitamin A or other nutrients. I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they eat a cup of peanuts or 828 calories of lettuce as their way to get protein -- I can only imagine the imbalance that would create in other spheres!

Date: June 14, 2006 07:05PM

Dear dfc7f,

I definitely agree with you that a whole cup of peanuts would be a LOT of calories. It really wasn't my intention to recommend that a person eat that many calories from peanuts. I think in one of my posts I mentioned that, but I can't remember which one. Nice you caught that. The point was just to show that you could get the information you need if you look at the right chart. Sorry I didn't make that clear though, and thanks for pointing it out.

-Ally

Date: June 14, 2006 10:55PM

"Rawgosia,

Knowing the number of grams of protein you get in a day DOES help you determine whether you are getting sufficient protein for that day, but ONLY if you ALSO know how much TOTAL protein you SHOULD be getting (the RDA for the specific food). If you know that, right on. If however you don't have that information, there is not much reason to bother counting up the grams.

But if you DO know the RDA for protein (somewhere between 44 and 56 grams of protein depending on your size, age, gender, and activity level, according to my 1984 World Book Encyclopedia), do you also know if the foods you listed are giving you adequate IRON or CALCIUM? Knowing how to use the % DV in the MINERALS chart on nutritiondata.com for each of the foods you listed will give you that information. Protein, likewise if you look at the % DV in the PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS chart."

Hi Ally,

I understand exactly what you are saying and I respect your point of view. Let me present my view on those issues. As far as RDAs, no-one knows how much total protein one should be getting. Please note that if you mean that knowing means knowing what RDAs, as recommended by different mainstream sources are, then this it not the type of knowledge I am talking. Those who set up RDAs do not really know it, their figures are merely statistical estimates, based on the data from mostly cooked food population by the way. Please do not assume that those who set those numbers are all-knowing and free of error-making. Note also that the numbers that we are taking about have been the subject to quite considerable change. (The reason behind this is that current science is only a reflection of what scientists currently understand. It never is the ultimate knowledge, and can often be a bit behind the common sense. If often is plainly wrong. It often is contradicting itself.) Remember, these are only averages. One would have to consider factors such as the influence of cooking on absorption, general health of the body which in turn affects the ability of the body to absorb, toxins in one's diet and similar factors. Clearly, it is not enough to take averages and assume that one size fits all. In particular, raw foodists are very far for stereotype that is assumed in such estimations. For example, there is a considerable difference between the absorption of cooked protein and raw protein. The white-cell count in raw foodists has been observed to be lower than in cooked foodists. The amount of carcinogenic toxins in raw foodists colons has been observed to be drastically lower than in cooked foodists colons. Diabetic cooked foodists have been observed to free themselves from symptoms by following raw diet for merely 30 days. The differences between the bodies of cooked or raw foodists are dramatic. In my view, RDAs based on statistical data taken from raw foodists population would be more accurate estimate of what a healthy (!) individual really needs. They do not exist though. Finally note that it is not necessary to consume certain amount of nutrients every day. It is quite natural to eat more of one thing one day, and more of another, another day. Raw foodists often experience that. Summarizing, I am not much interested in charts, RDAs and any other such data. Yes, in my 20s I was intensely interested in them and studied them. But later the realization came that if I simply eat biologically right foods for my body, I will get all I need anyway. I do not operate from my mind when feeding myself. I operate from my body. I would like to emphasize again that feeding oneself can be effortless. I would like to encourage anyone to try to discover that.

Sincerely,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: June 15, 2006 02:43AM

Dear Gosia,

I agree with you almost entirely. Like you, I actually havn't looked at the charts in many years; but when I came to this forum, I did notice that some folks seemed to be misinterpreting the information on the charts and were not aware of the use of % DV. My only intention was to show people how to read the charts if they wanted to.

I think the charts can be used as somewhat of a guide if the need arises. I have had vertigo since the age of about 12. When I was 38 or so, I had such a severe episode of vertigo that it really scared me. Instead of the usual episode that lasted maybe a fraction of a second, this episode lasted for hours! That's scary! I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I thought maybe I was pregnant. I went to a clinic the next day, got tested, and it was negative. So I asked the nurse what she thought could have caused such an intense vertigo episode. She told me maybe I wasn't getting enough iron. So I went home and dug up some list I happened to have of different foods and their minerals, and low and behold, there was nothing that I was eating that could give me any large amount of iron. At the time, I was pretty much all fruitarian, except for a couple of times a month that I would eat cooked food. (vegan). But I found out that day that sunflower seeds have a good portion of iron, and ever since that day, I've been eating sunflower seeds and sesame seeds almost every day. My vertigo is better than it's ever been, and I now don't feel the need to eat those cooked food meals!

Apart from that, I know that if I ate the same amount of calories cooked that I eat raw, I'd probably weigh 1000 pounds! (I weigh 95 pounds at 5'1"winking smiley And yet, I know I get a lot more energy from bananas than I would get from the same amount of calories from lentils. That's what calories are supposed to mean: energy units. (no way)

Love, Ally

Date: June 15, 2006 03:36AM

Hi Ally,

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you are better now. Yes, I think that on cooked we are naturally inclined to eat more calories because we are not getting enough nutrients otherwise.

Interestingly, Luke (my husband) and I observed that we do experience dizziness whenever we allow some cooked foods in our diet. Otherwise, we are fine. I experienced dizziness as a young girl (I was a SAD eater then, of course), but had no iron deficiency.

Sincerely,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables