Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

favorite sprouts
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: June 13, 2006 12:13PM

I'm just getting into sprouting and was wondering what your favorite sprouts were.

So far I've only tried kamut, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds. Out of those I like kamut and sunflower seeds the best. Quinoa doesn't have much of a taste and is more like filler,imo. I like flax sprouts but am still having a hard time sprouting them. I've tried various things, but without much luck.

Anyway, I'm going back to Berkeley CA next month and plan on getting more seeds. So your favorites will have an influence over my purchases. I buy alfalfa sprouts regularly, so I'm not sprouting those myself.

Thanks for your input.

Mona

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: favorite sprouts
Posted by: EmilyS ()
Date: June 13, 2006 12:35PM

I've always liked wheat. I blend the sprouts up and make 'bread'. The sprouts alone are very sweet.

Mung beans are nice. Red clover is tasty too. I actually grew sunflower greens, and those were amazing. I really have to try kamut. I've bet that + flax would make an awesome bread!

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 13, 2006 03:01PM

I think I'm finding my favorite are brocolli sprouts. I'd never tried them before tis week, but I like them in wraps and salads.

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: June 13, 2006 06:32PM

Hi Mona,
This is the best book I've found so far about sdproutingL
Sprout Garden: Indoor Grower's Guide to Gourmet Sprouts by Mark Braunstein.
I've found clover seeds to be less prone to rotting than alfalfa- the important thing is to rinse out the hulls once the sprouts are well grown, especially in warm weather. Broccoli is quite tasty. Radish and fenugreek are easy sprouters.
Chickory

Date: June 14, 2006 01:04PM

Thanks for the great ideas. They all sound really good.

Chickory: I'll look for the book. Thanks for the suggestion. I tried sprouting fenugreek that I bought from the local Indian market, but they got squishy. I think it might have been processed for grinding and cooking. Oh, well. It smelled great.

EmilyS: Sunflower greens? Did you plant them and eat the greens? You mean the small leaves? I didn't realise they would be eatable. I'm really new at this and am interested in learning.

Luna_sky_1 and Chickory: Do you buy your broccoli seeds at the healthfood store or at the garden shop? This may sound like such a stupid question, but is there a difference? Are seeds meant for growing crops any different from the seeds at the health food store for sprouting and eating? It seems like they should be the same, but I was wondering if any genetic engineering goes on with the crop seeds where none happens with the sprouting seeds. I would love to try them since you both like them so much.

Thank you all,

Mona

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 01:34PM

I don't sprout them myself. My store sells organic ones already packaged.

Posted by: EmilyS ()
Date: June 14, 2006 01:49PM

Hi!

yes, plant in dirt and snip them once they get big enough. It was kind of tedious to take each hull off the top of the green - and I am sure there must be a faster way...

Here are some instructions:
[chetday.com]

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: June 14, 2006 04:59PM

emily,

i've tried making bread from sprouted wheat and it turned out bitter and terrible. what is your secret??

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: June 14, 2006 05:27PM

Mona,
I get seeds from the health food store or mail-order from Sun Organic Farms bacause I can buy them by bulk, but I don't know about the quality.
Chickory

Date: June 16, 2006 01:41AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and help.

Mona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables