Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit and Veggies together = BLOAT - why?
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 31, 2008 07:40PM

I'm new. I heard not to eat veggies and fruits together because they digest differently. I had a fanastic salad Friday of greens, madarin orange, dried cranberry and almonds. It was heaven! I spent the next 4 hours with my belly full of gas, swelled like a balloon and popping out over my pants.

Why..does this happen??? The salad was SOOO good!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit and Veggies together = BLOAT - why?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 31, 2008 07:53PM

One of the rules of food combining in natural hygiene is to keep fruits and veggies separate (correct me if I'm wrong, and I think tomatoes are a debatable exception?).

Also, almonds! Fats + fruits are a bigger food combining taboo than fruits + vegetables.

You may also just be very sensitive to certain combinations.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 31, 2008 08:20PM

that is some..dodgy food combining!!

just follow basic prinipals and you will be fine..and no bloat!! no need to get obsessive with the food combining chart..just the basics!

Posted by: lovekk ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:42AM

I am also noticing that certain combos of food give me that same bloated, gassy feeling. But following that food combining chart is to time consuming. The one good thing about raw is that I have learned how to listen to my body. I had read many people say this when I first started out on this journey in Feb. of this year. Now I know what it means. I could never "hear" anything on the SAD diet. Now, I just remember what things make me feel that bloated feeling and know to not combine those anymore!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:57AM

I like the way mono meals digest - their bloat free.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 01, 2008 04:34AM

Knowing why doesn't help your bloating. Eating more simply makes the problem disappear.

But if you really want to know, different foods digest at different rates. So if you eat a salad with a fatty dressings, this is going to take some time to leave the stomach. In the meantime, if you ate some juicy sweet fruit, this fruit gets stuck behind the fatty salad in your stomach, and starts to ferment in your stomach. This cause the gas and other toxins (including alcohol) to form in your stomach.

Date: June 01, 2008 12:50PM

Do you mean eating more food in general? I am trying to be as comfortable as possible due to my gut motility disease. I almost had to leave work Friday as I was so uncomfortable. Also is it wise to separate veggies and fruit by an hour or so? And what of nuts and seeds? I'm a grazer.
Thanks!

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Knowing why doesn't help your bloating. Eating
> more simply makes the problem disappear.
>
>

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: June 01, 2008 03:33PM

Try eating meals of only one food. For example, a breakfast might be a cantaloupe or two. Then for lunch, perhaps eating a head of lettuce or two. Then an afternoon snack might be 6 oranges. For dinner you might have 6 bananas. Perhaps let that digest for 2 hours, and then eat 4 tomatoes.

If you eat meals of only one kind food, this is called mono-eating, and mono eating offers the simplest and easiest to digest form of eating.

To answer your question, yes it would be wise to separate eating of fruits and vegetables by an hour or more. Fruits are easiest to digest, so eat them first. Then eat the vegetables. Nuts and seeds take much longer to digest, so leave 2-3 hours after eating them, perhaps even more time than that, before eating fruits again.

Date: June 01, 2008 09:40PM

Blessings to you Bryan. Thanks for taking the time for me. I appreciate it!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: June 02, 2008 03:32AM

Ok...so I now know how to prevent bloat....but what do you do to get rid of feeling bloated?

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: June 02, 2008 11:39AM

how does food combining relate when you are juicing ?
Do the same food combining rules apply ?
i like to have cellery with apple and kale juice
or cucumber with apple and kale juice.

what u guys think ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 11:39AM by paulieGB.

Date: June 03, 2008 01:13AM

I had no problems combining while juicing.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:00AM

I am not much of a mono eater but I get bloat when I eat too much of anything in one sitting.

If I eat too many bananas, or oranges, or watermelon my stomach sticks out like I am pregnant.

I think that one of the keys to successful mono eating is not eating too much in one sitting. If you eat only until the point of fullness it should work. If you go beyond that point you might look pregnant for a couple of hours like I do.

But usually I break all the rules: flax and coconut with my fruit, oil and nuts (even if it's just a little bit) on my salads, etc.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 03, 2008 01:19PM

Usually mono eating should help one know when to stop eating a little more clearly.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 03, 2008 03:05PM

I think that one of the keys to successful mono eating is not eating too much in one sitting.
I agree. I like eating a small mono meal as it delivers more energy without bogging down the digestive effort. A small handful of grapes or other energy producing food provides fuel. Shortly after eating a small mono meal exercise feels very natural and easy. Small mono meals digest easy and feel comfortable.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 03, 2008 06:12PM

I try to do this - mono meals or at least fruit at one time, veggies at another, but sometimes I get so hungry and salad sounds good right after fruit. :p

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: June 04, 2008 02:30AM

redstar_38 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok...so I now know how to prevent bloat....but
> what do you do to get rid of feeling bloated?

i want more opinions on this PLEASE

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 04, 2008 04:03AM

Hahaha... wait. =\

Or... try to avoid intimate public situations if the bloating is accompanied by a digestive symphony. =\

I don't think there's anything you can eat, take, or "put in" the stomach, because bloating is already digestive overload. Maybe some soothing tea would help, but I personally don't want to add a sloshy stomach to an uncomfortable bloat situation.

You can PROCESS the feeling of being bloated, and try to figure out what exactly made it happen, so you don't have to deal with it again. Sometimes it's frustrating, because as you learn to listen to your body, and you become more receptive to its signals, different foods may start to affect you differently over time.

I never realized how much kimchi bothered my tummy until I stopped eating it for about two weeks... and then had some tonight. >.<

Just wait it out, and take it easy the next day.

Date: June 04, 2008 06:50AM

Yes, I agree with just waiting it out. It will go away, and the next time you can be more careful in your food choices. That is, if you got your lesson. If you didn't get the lesson, you'll get another chance to experience bloating again smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables