Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Salt--give me the lowdown!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 04, 2008 04:23AM

Inorganic salts, be they table salts or Heavenly Sky Salts From Singing Mountain, are ultimately toxic, corrosive, and require a ton of water to neutralize and pass through the body--correct?

So, what about organic sodium? Celery? Olives? Do the same warnings that apply to the inorganic salts still apply to the organic ones?

I just started thinking WAY too hard about salt and got myself confused. ^.^;;

Thanks! =)

Re: Salt--give me the lowdown!
Posted by: littlegirl ()
Date: June 04, 2008 04:59AM

no
the sodium in the veggies and foods is different then
table salt
I have to say this
a common misconception with people
is that
SALT is not good
MYTH!!!
SALT IS GOOD
you need salt everyday
use high quality salts like Celtic sea salt
I use a salt called Sunfire salt
from
<www.radicalhealth.com>

it is so good
and has helped me be healthy raw

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 04, 2008 06:48AM

The sodium in food like tomatoes and celery is bound to organic molecules and is available as nutrition for the body. The sodium chloride (NaCl) found in salt or sea salt is not available as the nutrient sodium for the body as is considered a poison by the body.

You do not need table salt or sea salt ever.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 04, 2008 12:05PM

I agree with Bryan. My experience is that when I stopped added salt to my foods....and ate fresh plant foods, I never desired it again. That was about 8 years ago.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

You might enjoy just simple observation.....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: June 04, 2008 12:39PM

look at salt - visually. See the crystals. Just look at it - Celtic, Morton's, whatever. Does it look like food to you?

One of my favorite quotations came from an ancient Persian prince: People love you if you make them think that they think. People hate you if you make them think. So, true, don't you think?

Life's ways are so simple. Life never intended to mock you by making it hard to perceive truth or to have to spend a bazzillion dollars on scientific research to know the truth. Simply look at the salt. Perceive. Feel. You will know immediately
if it was designed as a food or not.

With love,

Piano Gal

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: June 04, 2008 03:15PM

Piano Gal--do you know the name of that prince? Good quote!

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: June 04, 2008 10:13PM

This is interesting - but what if someone uses salt out of necessity? Someone with cystic fibrosis would need to keep their chloride level stable. Does anyone know what raw foods be abundant sources of chloride? Maybe sea greens? I'm not sure it's possible, but it would be nice to know...

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: June 04, 2008 10:20PM

Here this might be helpful smiling smiley

[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

I've been salt-free for a year and a half now, and some non sweet fruit and veggies taste incredibly salty to me! HTH

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: June 05, 2008 05:24AM

I quit the kimchi (my last source of added salt) for about two weeks, and then had some again yesterday.

As for, "perceive, feel, and know instantly," it really is funny the way sometimes you have to take a break from eating something and then come back again to see how it affects you.

I felt pretty gross. Celery, seaweed, and olives, feel MUCH better. =)

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 05, 2008 08:00AM

I was trying to eat celery to get my salt..it feels too salty to me now

hard to believe I used to salt EVERYTHING!!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: June 05, 2008 08:03AM

i ditched the nama shoyu, the miso, and the sea salt... my body feels really HYDRATED these days despite the fact that i drink very little water.

and the other night i went out to a restaurant with friends and had my first salad with no dressing, no oil, no vinegar, no lemon juice, no nothing... it was delicious!!!

Rost....I don't....wish I did
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: June 05, 2008 07:43PM

But the phrase has certainly proved true in my experience.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 05, 2008 10:57PM

I wonder where the salt in olives comes from?
Maybe soaked in brine?

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: June 06, 2008 01:50AM

What about Iodine? Janice

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: June 06, 2008 04:51PM

I've been almost salt free for 80 days now and it feels great. I've been over the top with the salt ever since I'm a teenager. Feels good to not be thirsty from too much salt! Feels good to get rid of the extra water!
The only non organic salt I've had was when I bought some Himalayan salt for my family and for a few days I'd just put a pinch of salt in my mouth for the taste. But then I simply forgot about it lol.

Not sure if we need salt, I can just answer that from my personal experience which is that I've been so overdoing it (even for a SAD standard) that my body likes this break.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: June 07, 2008 03:24PM

I read up on the iodine thing. Seems it was added to salt to counteract a huge goiter epidemic. Not the same as the real thing though. I eat seaweed, and take SeaAloe liquid vit/min supp. So I think I am covered. Never use regular salt; occ. use Himalayan pink crystals though. janice

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: June 07, 2008 10:33PM

Olives have salt added, unless it says otherwise. I have had salt-free raw olives from Natural Zing and Sunfood Nutrition and loved them--but normally the salt is added.

Re: You might enjoy just simple observation.....
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 07, 2008 11:56PM

Piano Gal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Life's ways are so simple. Life never intended to
> mock you by making it hard to perceive truth or to
> have to spend a bazzillion dollars on scientific
> research to know the truth. Simply look at the
> salt. Perceive. Feel. You will know immediately
> if it was designed as a food or not.
>

98% or so of Westernized people still eat animals.

My guess is that most of them perceive that animals
were designed to be food and that only a few of us
have the instinctual recoil. I myself am sad to say
that although I recoiled when I first learned that my
food was a dead animal, my father convinced me that
I would get sick if I didn't eat it, and it wasn't
until my mid 20s that I had the courage to question
his authority.

Re: You might enjoy just simple observation.....
Date: June 08, 2008 04:44PM

Hahaha... makes me think of work yesterday. I was scarfing down some watermelon (I took about 1/4 melon to work, right in the rind, not chopped or anything), and one of the guys walked by, and asked in total bewilderment, "How do you stay ALIVE????"

Hmm... You couldn't exactly mono-salt with good results... tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: June 10, 2008 02:22AM

Here are a couple of interesting articles on sodium and chloride.

Chloride: [www.healthy.net]

Sodium: [www.healthy.net]

Seems like most SAD diets cause a extreme excessive intake. From everything I've been reading, we can get enough of both of these from fruits & veggies. I can only find one disease that causes a deficiency and that would be Cystic Fibrosis.

Extreme sweating may cause the need to replenish, which a healthy vegan can do with a good raw meal.

That said, I do not believe salt is poison to me, I think I may need it. I had no salt intake in my diet for the first 2 1/2 years of my raw journey. for 2 years after that I only had salt in the occasional raw gourmet meals. Now, for the past year, I have been adding 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to my green smoothies. I have to say that I noticed an improvement in my health. I feel more grounded, have less nausea, more energy, and have less "brain fog" episodes. Everybody's needs are different, and I just seem to need a little extra salt. Kinda strange, but it works.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 02:28AM by swimmer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables