Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ladies....... period question....
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 09, 2008 04:48AM

Ok so I've been eating good for a while and I think I was late this month..don't remember last I had it. But I've been "spotting" for the past week which is abnormal for me. The only PMS symptoms I really get are mood swings which I've had.

Anyway..as an experiment I ate icecream..(and ok, because the humidity was driving me insane and I wanted something cold and that was all I could get) But I've also noticed this period connection before.. eat JUNK Food and I get my period. Or maybe it's because it was icecream..don't remember what I've noticed it before with. Like the crap goes right through me and makes my body want to "cleanse" lol I don't know.

Any idea why JUNK/SAD food brings my period on? I'm betting if I didn't eat that today, I'd still be spotting. At least now I can suffer for a couple days and get it over with. This ever happen to anyone else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 04:50AM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ladies....... period question....
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 09, 2008 11:56AM

Did you eat omnivorous ice cream or vegan? It might be the hormones from the cow millk.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: June 09, 2008 05:44PM

period=detox, you need to detox after 'toxing'.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: June 09, 2008 05:48PM

Yep this totally happens to me. I have been on and off raw foods for 10 years and I totally notice this connection

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:21PM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> period=detox, you need to detox after 'toxing'.

It can't be that simple since SAD'ers "toxin" themselves on a daily basis and don't have their periods everyday to "detox".

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:42PM

But most women on a raw diet experience a shortening of bleeding time, an extended length of cycle, and SERIOUS decrease in symptoms, all which would point to suggest that hemorrhaging in a state of severe discomfort every three weeks is a little off the mark.

There will be endless debate about whether or not we should have periods at all, on this forum. Some say they ovulate on a monthly cycle, without bleeding at all. I read an awesome theory about how, ancestrally, female orgasm was supposed to trigger ovulation and we had no monthly cycle. Some people say that by embracing the cycle, they love it and grow with it (mostly from mothers with kids: I do think these ladies have a bit of experience!).

In any case, HORRIBLE AND PAINFUL periods, are not normal, and the horror and painfulness can be alleviated with a raw diet. =)

Don't panic if your period does some strange things during a time of adjustment to the diet. Make sure you're getting adequate nutrition and calories, you can check your cycle with something like ovutrac, temperature and mucous. Sometimes the body will put bleeding on hold to take care of more pertinent things (so congratulate yourself if you're living healthfully/mindfully and that's the case!).

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: June 09, 2008 10:29PM

I was thinking more, that they have strong monthly periods to detox from their SAD diet--not ALL women on SAD, but like mentioned above by phantom, many women have lighter periods after detox/being on raw for awhile.

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:19AM

I think it is purely natural for the body to detox in any method it can - when riding the crimson wave, then the body certainly knows how to take advantage of this!

One time I cleaned my bedroom using a chemical product, and I got very ill after using it. in the following days I got my period - it lasted a long time and was heavy and different to usual - I really felt like i was detoxing through my menstruation.

Since eating raw my periods have been a delight! They are short, minimal pain if any at all, and not heavy. Certainly no back ache and awful cramps as I used to have.
I still get weak knees sometimes and I'm really clumsy on my first day - but all these things are not agonizing pain!

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 10, 2008 03:14PM

Here's something interesting. I had a rough week, and ended up eating some cooked (still 70-80% raw) three days this week. Nothing too awful... baked potatoes, boiled edamame, cooked hummus... but nothing too great, either.

Anyway, it's a lot more cooked than I've eaten in a long time. Today has been exactly 14 days since my last period... and I just got my period again! I'm otherwise regular.

So I'm definitely suspecting the cooked had something to do with it. angry smiley

Date: June 10, 2008 03:46PM

Wow that is really interesting phantom!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 10, 2008 03:53PM

I am the same

if I stay clean..just mucus cycle..ovulation..nice cycle

if I even think about eating rubbish.. pms and end up in bed debilitated by period!

incentive to stay RAW..

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:56PM

Wow~ this makes so much sense now....

I just had my period for the first time in 10 months...

the only thing I've done different?

added more cooked over the past few months!

Luckily it was only 3 days long-barely noticeable.

Posted by: gwenqi ()
Date: June 11, 2008 12:02AM

Yes, this has happened to me. But clearly, it is part of a desire to eat more sugar and fat before the period. Every month as a woman ovulates, according to her hormones, she prepares her uterus for a baby. This causes extra cravings for sugar and fat about a week to a few days before the period. It is common to eat junk or overeat and then get the period. Or, try to just eat extra fat or sugar from fruit before your period, when it is due, and see if you get the same result.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables