Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Want to Go Raw..on a Budget
Posted by: Cypher_X ()
Date: June 14, 2006 06:10PM

I've wanted to go Raw for a while...but I'm a on a tight budget right now. I don't eat any fruits or veggies...How should I start out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to Go Raw..on a Budget
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 06:15PM

you could start by adding some fresh fruit to your breakfast, and fresh veggies to your lunches. Eating a salad before a meal will make you feel fuller and you wont eat as much of your cooked meal anyway. Then before bed, try an apple. Full of fiber and you wont wake up hungry.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 14, 2006 09:53PM

Raw food might cost a little more (if you ate ALL raw)....but it doesn't HAVE to. There are ways to eat rather inexpensively.....and really NONE of the fresh fruits & veggies that I eat personally usually cost more than .99 lb.

-The only cooked way to eat cheaper is to eat nothing but rice, pasta & beans!

-My spending level is roughly less than what I used to spend on cooked. About $30 - $35 a week.

-Just my experience.

-David Mason

Date: June 14, 2006 11:07PM

My budget won't allow me to eat 100% Raw. I'm willing to go 50% Raw for the time being. When I get a better paying job, then I might go all the way.

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 11:10PM

just start slowly. substitute a brger at lunch for a lettuce wrap from home, or a baggie of celery and carrot sticks. You'll find yourself substituting more and more.LOLOL!

Re: Want to Go Raw..on a Budget..and more
Date: June 15, 2006 04:17PM

My current weekly food budget is $40 a week, now that I have my job back.

I love canteloupe, strawberries, oranges, romaine lettuce, bananas, ginger and Granny Smith apples. I plan on juicing, too.

I might take David's advice and eat nothing but pasta, beans, and rice. I've been eating meat due to extreme financial problems. Now that they're resolved, I can resume my vegetarian eating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2006 04:21PM by Cypher_X.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 15, 2006 06:07PM

Cypher_X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I might take David's advice and eat nothing but
> pasta, beans, and rice. I've been eating meat due
> to extreme financial problems. Now that they're
> resolved, I can resume my vegetarian eating.

Surely a vegeterian diet is cheaper than a meat based diet? I'm pretty sur eit would be here in England.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Brand new heart ()
Date: June 15, 2006 06:30PM

This is really a problem for me too. I spend 65$ each week on my diet which consists of vegetables, fruits and nuts and I almost exclusively eat non-organic food. If I had everything organic it would cost the double amount (130$). Tough for a collegestudent!

Date: June 15, 2006 08:13PM

I bought some carrots, apples, and spinach at the supermarket earlier today. Not much. but it's a start in the right direction. My former eating habits nearly cost me my friendship with my roommate. The only way I can move back is to eat healthier I realized then that going Raw was the only way I'd be healthy.

Posted by: Anna67 ()
Date: June 15, 2006 09:58PM

Sprouts are very cheap, no fancy equipment needed.
Good Luck
Anna

Posted by: geneticpromise ()
Date: June 16, 2006 06:20PM

Hi - Sprouting at home and doing micro greens is real cheap and so healthy. I sprout brocolli, clover, radish, and others, plus sunflower and green pea microgreens for pennies a serving. You can supplmement it with other veggies from the store. Legummes sprout well, too, although I don't eat them.

genetic promise

Date: June 17, 2006 02:30AM

I think that my local supermarket sells broccoli sprouts in the bag. They taste great!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 19, 2006 07:16PM

When I first tried the raw diet it was shockingly expensive - but now I find that with less food cravings I actually eat less, so it seems to have balanced out.

For me it's the leafy greens that work well. You'll have to discover what works for you.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 21, 2006 12:55PM

genetic promise...can you tell me why legumes are not a good idea. do you have any web references? thanx

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: June 21, 2006 01:26PM

the funny thing is that it's just not true that you have to spend that much.. there are real ways to lower your food budget, even if it's organic. I know a woman who eats, all organic for about $60/ week and she lives in Canada. Canada is more expensive. I think this is largely due to the fact she doesn't eat much, but she does eat really simply.

Also, I've always found whenever I eat any meat it's made my food budget go up. I spend a lot on food now and I think that's largely due to my attachment to food.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 21, 2006 01:43PM

It's also worth remembering factors like: less days off work due to illness....cost of medicines... and other stuff 'ordinary' people spend a lot of money on, like alcohol, cigarettes, fancy toiletries etc.
it's good to take the whole lifestyle into account, not just the food.

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: June 21, 2006 02:34PM

Hi,
Raw can be very cheap or very expensive. Fruit tends to drive up the expense. Pre-packaged raw or live nut and fruit bars, dehydrated crackers, etc, are also very expensive and unnecessary. I think leafy green vegetables and sprouts are healthier, and they are much cheaper. I spend about $3-$5 per day on food, depending on food chocies, availability, my sprouting schedule, and current prices.
Chickory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables