Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does anyone take juices/smoothies to work with them?
Date: June 16, 2008 03:50PM

I was wondering because, if you juice or blend your veggies or fruits and keep them in a glass jar, bring them to work and later on drink them, isn't that losing all the vitamins by not drinking it right away. Does anyone do this?

If you juice or blend, shouldn't you drink it immediately because of the vitamin loss if it sits there.

If you bring your juice or blending drinks, how long can do you leave it in the glass jar until you drink it?

Do you have a blender or a juicer at work? That would be great, maybe I need to get my boss to get both. Get everyone into it!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone take juices/smoothies to work with them?
Date: June 16, 2008 04:09PM

Hey Dee... I keep my Tribest Blender at my office so that I can make fresh smoothies (I just take the fruit etc that I need or pick some up at a local vendor.)

I get some odd looks from my coworkers (but most are used to it by now) because its usually a green smoothie that I will make but it has sparked some interesting discussions on health and quite a few brave souls have even taken sips! Converting my staff one at a time *evil laughter*

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 16, 2008 04:21PM

No....but if I did, I'd put a blender / juicer in the break room at work (with permission of course!).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: June 16, 2008 09:12PM

I was taking a quart mason jar filled with green smoothie to work everyday. people still tease me for having "relish" for breakfast. I only work 10-15 minutes from my house depending on traffic. I would drink it as soon as I got there or start while on my way. I can't see bringing my vitamix to work or my juicer. Both are too cumbersome and rather expensive.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: June 16, 2008 10:08PM

The most important meal of the day should be around noon and yet our working environments do not provide the space and time for it.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 16, 2008 10:29PM

I have these little plastic containers that I can fill literally to the top with smoothie, and smack on the lid, leaving the smallest amount of room for oxidation possible (I have to be careful it won't splurt out the sides). Then, I store it in a dark fridge, and drink within a few hours.

I don't do this all the TIME, but I just try to keep oxidation in mind. When you're raw and you want to eat, you need to eat, so, hats off to anyone who can keep themselves happy without crawling back to nefarious vending machines.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 17, 2008 01:09AM

When I take smoothies, I fill the container to the top (minimal headspace = minimal oxidation of the good stuff) and I try to drink them within an hour or two.

It would be better if you made them just before consuming. Maybe you can start a pool for a community blender.

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 17, 2008 01:24AM

I have been toting mine to work for the past 2 years in a Thermos.

No complaints.

I use a stainless steel thermos now, after haven broken two glass ones over the past 2 years.

They are still cold when I drink them, about 5 hours after they are blended.

Yummie!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 17, 2008 02:44AM

I bring smoothies to work in quart canning jars fairly frequently. The most important thing I do to combat oxidation is make sure that there is enough liquid in the mix. I find that a wetter smoothie doesn't retain nearly as much air, and so doesn't oxidize as badly before I get around to drinking it. Sometimes the extra liquid is coconut water, juice or nut milk, but more often I don't want to take the time on work mornings and just add clean water.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 17, 2008 03:02AM

Try putting a stainless steel thermos with the lid off into the freezer the night before to get the insides freezing cold then in the morning make fresh juice and fill it to the top and put the lid on with no air inside. Drink the rest of the juice for breakfast and take the thermos with you for later.

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 17, 2008 11:17AM

I never thought of that: putting the stainless steel thermos into the freezer. I'm SO trying that tomorrow!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: June 18, 2008 11:21AM

What about a magic bullet at work? I know that many people DO have blenders at work, first heard it from Victoria Boutenko and her green smoothie movement. I typically will take a stainless stell thermos as well and drink within a couple of hours. It is still better than cheeseburgers and frenchfries anyday....EWWW!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 18, 2008 12:46PM

Oh Wise Ones Who Did Not Major in Liberal Arts Subjects:

If you put 8 ounces of liquid in a 16 ounce mason jar (or other similar container), isn't the surface area exposed to air the same as if you put 15 ounces of liquid in the jar?

Not trying to cause trouble here, just trying to understand...

If you don't shake, rattle, and roll the jar, isn't the surface area and thus the potential for oxidation the same? Unless you have an air tight container.

Math (calculus -- yikes!) and biology and chemistry majors encouraged to reply!

Lee

"May all beings be happy."

[www.dhamma.org]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 18, 2008 05:24PM

I always take 2 litres of juice to work

we arent allowed any electrical appliances..saftey and all that shite..

so I juice..take it in..and enjoy!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 18, 2008 06:28PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh Wise Ones Who Did Not Major in Liberal Arts
> Subjects:
>
> If you put 8 ounces of liquid in a 16 ounce mason
> jar (or other similar container), isn't the
> surface area exposed to air the same as if you put
> 15 ounces of liquid in the jar?
>
No, because the 8 oz liquid case has much more space
for oxygen than the 15 oz liquid case. Ideally you'd
use a vacuum pump to make it airtight. But you don't,
so fill it to the brim.

Aside from that:

tall skinny container
block uv rays (dark brown glass or similar)
low temp storage

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: June 18, 2008 10:28PM

Heh, I guess I am being really sloppy about this. I finished the 92 day juice feast today (yay) and for the past 3 months I have been hauling 5-6 liters of juice per day with me. I have glass bottles but also used plastic when being out and about on the weekends. I never sucked out the air of my containers or wrapped them in foil or anything like that....the juicing itself has exhausted me too much.

Blending it work - yes, but only if nobody used my blender I would do it.. Juicing at work? Nah, I personally would not have the nerve....

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: June 18, 2008 11:03PM

lemoned
92 day juice feast? Can you expand on the results/recommendations of the feast?

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: June 19, 2008 04:16PM

I did the "Global juice feast" at globaljuicefeast.com. I was a bit late to join in but I finished...longest 3 months of my life!
I have yet to sit down and write some sort of "report" on my personal goals and the results.
Probably it is ideal to focus on organic produce and a good juicer, both of which I didn't use for the feast. I made my juices with the blender/nutmilkbag method to save time. And for a budget of $15 per day, I could not have it organic. Maybe that is why my results were not too stunning - well, actually they were, but did not tackle the issues I wanted to resolve.
I believe that my body was cleansing itself on a very deep level. At the same time, I struggle a lot with skin issues - I have had eczema like crazy (something I wanted to cure but it got worse) and my skin is still bad (no acne but lots of blackheads) and I still have circles under my eyes.

Something that did get better is everyday stress and anxiety. I'm the person that will internally flip out over everyday stress even though I don't show it. So I have anxiety bouts and stuff like that. So that got a LOT better. It's great to get up and get on with my day.

I have had no blood tests or anything during that time so I don't know how I'm doing in that department. But I've had my green juice every day and towards the end I got a Green Star Juicer and now I'm making the densest green juices everyday so I don't think I'm lacking anything.

Anyways, it's a nice thing to have accomplished, I don't know if I could do it again!!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 20, 2008 10:29PM

When I go to work -- I'm outside for 5-6 hours at a time -- I will often fill a bottle or mason jar with juice or MC lemonade and try to drink it within 2 hours.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:30AM

hey arugula

THANKS!

I'm so easily confused. Too much stress, not enough fun. I'm going to remedy that soon!

smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables