Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sesame, Chia and Amaranth
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: June 28, 2008 06:39PM

Hi,

I'm getting interested in diversifying my raw diet and I'm wondering about such things as sesame seeds, chia seeds and amaranth grains (pseudo-grain?).

I don't see a lot of people talking about them and I'm not use to those ingredients so I was wondering if they are good and recommendable in their raw form.

I already sprout some quinoa and I like it a lot. From the info I got, quinoa is a pseudo-grain so is a very good addition to a raw diet unlike other real grains. What about amaranth? Also, if someone could explain to me why grains are considered bad even when raw by a lot of raw foodists.

Also, what about sesame and chia seeds. I hear about sunflower and pumpkin seeds everyday on raw sites but rarely do I hear about those other two seeds. Anything bad about them? If not, what are the benefits and nutritional value of those?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sesame, Chia and Amaranth
Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: June 28, 2008 10:39PM

Here's some healthful facts about chia and amaranth:

Chia seeds are the richest source of omega-3 fatty acid. Also very rich in protein which in turn is high in amino acids. Rich in lysine and a very good source of fiber. The Aztecs used it in combination with corn which is low in lysine to make a complete food. Also very high in iron and calcium too. Chia is so rich in anti-oxidants that the seeds don't deteriorate and can be stored for long period without becoming rancid.The Native Americans of the Southwest would eat only chia seed mixed with water as they ran from the Colorado River to the Pacific Ocean to trade products. Its high energy to weight ratio makes it a favorite choice of long distance runners and other athletes. When added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, chia forms a gel. Add lime or lemon juice and agave nector to make a pleasant drink. Sprinkle ground or whole chia seeds on salads, cereal or yogurt. Eat them as a snack.

Amaranth seed is high in protein (15-18%). It has the highest lysine content of all the grains. Lysine is an amino acid not frequently found in grains. It is high in fiber and contains calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamins A and C. The fiber content of amaranth is three times that of wheat and its iron content, five times more than wheat. It contains two times more calcium than milk. Using amaranth in combination with wheat, corn or brown rice results in a complete protein as high in food value as fish, red meat or poultry. Amaranth also contains tocotrienols (a form of vitamin E) which have cholesterol-lowering activity in humans. Cooked amaranth is 90% digestible and because of this ease of digestion, it has traditionally been given to those recovering from an illness or ending a fasting period. Amaranth consists of 6-10% oil, which is found mostly within the germ. The oil is predominantly unsaturated and is high in linoleic acid, which is important in nutrition. The amaranth seeds have a unique quality in that the nutrients are concentrated in a natural "nutrient ring" that surrounds the center, which is the starch section. For this reason the nutrients are protected during processing.

Check out my source, where you can also find info on sesame seeds, among others.

[www.livingtreecommunity.com]

Hope this helps!!

~lanie

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables