Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

midnight snacks???
Posted by: powerbraid ()
Date: July 04, 2008 11:37PM

Recently, I have been unable to sleep thrrough the night. I wake up at least once a night ravenous! I usually have an apple, or other fruit, and then go back to sleep just fine.

Does anyone else experience these nightly hunger pangs?

Just wondering if this is a normal experience on a raw food diet.

Also, what do you all think about eating in the evenings? I usually have a fruit based snack of some kind after dinner in the evenings, but I have read so many conflicting opinions about eating at night.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: midnight snacks???
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 04, 2008 11:50PM

what are you eating during waking hours?

i used to experience this when i wasn't eating enough food and/or when i was dehydrated. sometimes the hunger was actually thirst. i started keeping a bottle of water on my nightstand. it generally did the trick and my nightime hunger pangs subsided. i generally drink 1-2 large green smoothies during the day and eat a lot of fruit now which keeps me pretty hydrated.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 05, 2008 01:11AM

me, all the time.

it's now 2am, i had some grapes an hour ago, but feel i need something else to get some sleep...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 05, 2008 02:39AM

In the beginning, I just ate 24/7.

In March, I set a goal to eat for only 12 hours of the day.

Now I usually only eat between 11am-8pm.

This has been one of the most difficult aspects of change for me--but I started with the 12 hours of digestive rest idea because I couldn't sleep if I ate too late. I would bloat, have pain, gas, just feel really gross. This started happening after I had my first, "EUREKA!" of a true fullness signal.

I had to get over my fear of starting the day with a high-calorie breakfast. It takes time to reprogram, but if you eat a lot of calories early on--instead of "trying to be good," eating too little, then getting swamped with cravings at night, and possibly binging--CHOW DOWN during the day! =)

It really does take time, commitment, and patience. I ate dinner around 11pm-midnight for a very long time because of my job--and it was really high-cal, fatty, fried stuff I always had late (thank you Mediterranean restaurant open until 4am).

I also like to eat melon if I have to eat late, since it digests so quickly.

Posted by: powerbraid ()
Date: July 07, 2008 03:41AM

Grapes are the best midnight sacks ever. smiling smiley

I have a big green smoothie for breakfast every morning, and then eat nuts/energy bars and lots of fruit throughout the day. My tummy can't seem to handle big meals, so I eat every 3 hours or so.

I always am thirsty and feel dehydrated, but don't really know if I am. I have discovered coconut water, and that really seems to be helping. smiling smiley

Posted by: Alwaystriving ()
Date: July 07, 2008 06:17AM

I would try to stay away from the fruits and try something like celery juice or maybe some coconut water. As has already been stated, hunger is often due to dehydration.

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: July 07, 2008 06:43AM

Terrible habit of eating at night also. Had it for years & will try to break it once my body becomes more acclamated to eating a high % of raw food.

Keep in mind, that carbs have an immediate relaxing effect & I believe is responsible for helping us fall back to sleep. Thats my experiece.

I also found that it is important to strive to improve and to balance that with not being too hard on ourselves,for that has psychological ramifications & most of us realize that there is a huge mind body connection.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables