Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ethics of eating seeds
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 31, 2008 03:25PM

I see it like this: A single seed is similar to a single sperm and the earth is similar to an egg. The bodies of male animals create an incredible quaniity of sperm for only one (or a few) to make it into make it to the destination - the egg. I think nature makes seeds so plentifully in the hopes that only just a few make it to a proper place to sprout (or the metaphoric egg). Animals also help spread seeds by consuming fruit and then passing the seed through thier bodies and releasing them to a new place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duo ()
Date: September 25, 2008 05:33PM

Thanks for suggesting Johhny Lovewisdom. Yet to find specific reference to seeds, but am very interested in his life and ideas nonetheless.

Johnny Lovewisdom (July 23, 1919 – October 12, 2000) was the author of The Buddhist Essene Gospel of Jesus. He promoted a raw food diet called Vitarianism, a diet that includes raw yogurt, vegetables, and a great deal of raw fruit. As a youth he promoted a strict fruit diet but later changed it to the "Vitarian" diet with vegetables, raw yogurt and avocado. In 1998, inspired by visiting young fruitarians, he returned to promoting a strict fruitarian diet, which he called the "Vitarian Fruit-Salad Diet". He tried to live solely on the papaya tree's fruit and leaves. Eventually, he started to bleed profusely as a result of developing a severe allergic reaction to papaya. He also promoted breatharianism (the idea that humans do not need food or water and can live on "spiritual energy" alone[1]), "Modern Live Juice Therapy," and a number of other unusual "lifestyle" diets. Likely as a result of various diets, he suffered from paralysis and poor eyesight, and is thought to have had neurological problems associated with vitamin B12 deficiency.

He lived as a hermit in the mountain crater lake, Quilotoa, in Ecuador. Lovewisdom believed that the thin air at high altitudes would allow him to develop clairvoyance and "drink alcohol like water without getting drunk."[2] For a time, he ran a mail order diploma mill and signed his name followed by several degrees: N.H.D, M.D, Sc. D, Ps. D, Ph. D, D.D.

He believed himself to be the reincarnation of Milarepa and John the Baptist[3]. As the successor[citation needed] to Kuthumi Lal Singh, Tashi Lama and Maha Chohan, he founded the International University of Natural Living at Vilcabamba, Ecuador in 1962 with its credo "build paradise and eat the fruits thereof." He started the "Pristine Order of Paradisian Perfection", a religious order. He authored over 50 books including Spiritualizing Dietetics, Vitarianism, and The Buddhist Essene Gospel of Jesus.

(Wikipedia)

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: September 25, 2008 05:50PM

Re: Sprouts...eggs... unborn fetuses...seeds.. potential Life, or exsisting Life..

If I found something morally distrurbing about eating the seed, the potential life of a fruit, I can't see how that feeling would change after 5 days of watering the seeds in a jar, so they have tails and no longer remind me of the forbidden fruit.

The metaphoracle (?) Bible...
I think it was literal at one time.. and now we are so far removed from that simplicity, many chose to take everything as a concept.

I think Forbidden Fruit very well meant literal seed of the literal food in their literal world... Now, can this compromised environment support a human who only eats the fruit?.. For my body to thrive, must I eat the plants also? In the future, will we need to keep eating up the food chain, until we are eventually carnivores, so as to thrive and survive?

I do also like to think of Forbidden Fruit as a metaphor, for indeed our brains have evolved to such creative thinking.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: September 25, 2008 06:56PM

At least they don't have a central nervous system, but like they demonstrated on Mythbusters, they are aware of what we are doing:

[video.google.com]

They also did "mental attacks" from outside the room the plant was in. They imagined it burning up, and being hit and the polygraph responded, so the plant was aware of what they were doing. But how does this happen when the plants don't have a brain? I think they just proved that plants have a spirit body!

So we need to hook all these plants and sprouts and fruits you are talking about up to a lie detector machine and see who responds.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 07:02PM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 25, 2008 08:36PM

Any thoughts on organic hemp seeds? I eat them daily over salads. :-)

Date: September 25, 2008 08:52PM

my thoughts on hemp are that the more we support the industry and the more demand for hemp products, the better. hemp can save the planet, it's an incredibly fast growing and completely renewable resource that takes little to no cultivation (it is a weed after all) and has enormous potential for a multitude of applications.

yay hemp!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 25, 2008 10:18PM

I've heard that Hemp seeds are cooked so that they won't germinate.

Date: September 25, 2008 11:01PM

hemp seeds that are in the shell are either steamed or irradiated so that they aren't viable for sprouting but you can check with the distributor for the truth about that. i can sometimes get sproutable hemp seeds here in canada but the sprouts aren't tasty to me so i don't bother.
hemp seeds that have had the shells removed will not sprout because they are not whole and therefore don't have to be treated but again, you can check with the distributor about that as well. the ones i buy are raw and i get them just across the border in the states (that's the nearest health food store).

Date: September 25, 2008 11:10PM

I'm actually enjoying a hemp shake superfood drink mix (Berry Pomegranate - really tasty) as I type. :-)

I don't mean to hijack this thread and take it off the subject of "seeds" but on the topic of hemp seeds, it appears as though this is a very good food - along with the oil version.

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: September 26, 2008 01:32AM

Love the hemp seeds - Yummers!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 26, 2008 02:59PM

What a nut. I think, agree? Johnny "LoveWisdom", he was a fraud I heard, and died from a terrible disease. He was paralyzed..or something like that?

I was so disappointed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 02:59PM by suvine.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 26, 2008 03:20PM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Johnny "LoveWisdom",
> he was a fraud I heard, and died from a terrible
> disease. He was paralyzed..or something like
> that?
I communicated with Johnny Lovewisdom,
in writing, when he lived in Ecuador. I even mailed
him a few Dollars to support his Cause. He told me
Wheatgrass Juice is not a 'Panacea'. I didn't believe
him then, and still don't now.
He drank Clabbered Milk because it was easy to digest,
and it eased his painful Arthritic Condition. I was very
sad when he died......WY

Posted by: jdc5390 ()
Date: September 28, 2008 12:40AM

Seeds are needed in every fruit for several reasons. One How else will the fruit continuosly feed us if it can't re-grow, hence plant the seeds and you will get those deliciously good for you fruits back in sight! Second, seeds act as an antioxidant, since Fruits if open will go bad pretty quickly, closed however they last longer. Eating the seeds with the fruit will enhance the intake of nutrients For Sure! Antioxidants are carried by fats, and the fruits are the actual antioxidant carriers. So put them together and you got Rawfully Good Nutrition!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables