Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Bingeing" on carbs
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: July 20, 2008 04:28AM

For the last month or so, I have been craving carbohydrates like CRAZY from about 7pm onwards, especially muffins. I am not %100 raw, so I usually have about a cup of legumes a day, plus a cup or so of cooked quinoa sometimes - and the ubiquitous muffin (homemade, whole-grain, and vegan, mind you) - so I don't think I'm lacking in carbohydrates. I also have a real thing for raw almond butter, straight from the jar. I have been waking up in the middle of the night to chow down on either of these foods - and I have NEVER in my life been a midnight snacker! I don't actually BINGE on them - I'll only have, like, a half a muffin or a tbsp or so of almond butter, so I'm not that overly concerned. I am, however, recovering from a very serious case of anorexia, so my suspicion is that my body is trying to make up for years of starvation. This comes as no surprise to me, and I know I have to gain weight, but this knowledge doesn't make my cravings (and giving in to them increasingly more often) any less distressing. So I guess what I'm asking for is not an answer as to why I'm having these cravings, but support for getting through them. Has anyone else been through the post-starvation "anorexic binge" (or actual binge) stage before? If so, how did you deal with it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Bingeing" on carbs
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 20, 2008 05:05AM

Wheat is addictive in so many ways. It contains opiates, carbohydrates help move serotonin into the brain, and when the brain is low on serotonin, it creates an overpowering urge to eat high-carbohydrate, sweet, and starchy foods.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 20, 2008 05:32AM

If you're only carbs are a muffin and a cup of cooked quinoa, this is not a lot of carbs, perhaps only 400-500 calories. If this is the case, I could see why you would be carb starved and desiring concentrated carbs.

Why not add an 1000 calories of fresh sweet fruit to your daily menu, and I'll bet you won't be reaching for a muffin in the night.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 20, 2008 05:34AM

If you suspect that your body is recovering from the years of malnourishment, why are you concerned about eating a muffin at night? Perhaps its time to let go of the control, and allow yourself to eat when you get hungry. Except rather than reaching for a muffin, try eating 5 pounds of watermelon instead.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: July 20, 2008 12:47PM

Bryan - I am eating other carbs in the form of fruit. Also, I am aware that I need to let go of the control, which is why I usually give in to the cravings. I guess I'm just needing reassurance that this is okay...so thank you for that smiling smiley. BUt when I get up at night, it's MUFFIN I'm craving, not watermelon!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 20, 2008 12:56PM

IMO it takes awhile to be able to discern the difference between cravings that are generated by the needs of the body and cravings generated in the mind for psychological causes.

Posted by: goodsamaritan ()
Date: July 20, 2008 02:42PM

Eat FAT.
FAT is better.
Fat will give you the signal that you are full.
Try it and it will never fail you.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: July 21, 2008 05:56AM

Have you tried bananas? In case you like them, they might work for those midnight cravings. Dates might work, too. These foods help me stay on track when I get wild cravings.

Congratulations for having worked so hard on healing! It's hard to find back into the natural rhythms of the body and on learning to trust them (was my experience). Raw food has really helped me find balance, because a 'mono binge' is a quite safe thing. It's a 'binge' that lets me feel full at some point (which in itself seems like a miracle!).

Best of luck and health to yoU!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 21, 2008 10:24AM

maybe u could have fun looking for a raw muffin recipe
and making a bunch of those

so you will be prepared when the urge strikes

or something akin to muffin

like making a raw pastry

i like what bryan said

about letting go of control

have fun with your evolution

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 21, 2008 12:04PM

I just read Debbie Took's post on calcium, noticing that you are craving nut butter. I bet you are needing calcium, among other nutrients. I would definitely go with the nut butter craving, maybe putting it on slices of apple. Also, heavy on the greens (I do smoothies with fruit and kale in the mornings and a big green salad later). At this stage, I wouldn't limit what you eat because you are rebuilding your body. Congratulations on your recovery, and keep up the good work!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables