Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

FLAX vs. HEMP vs. CHIA
Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 21, 2008 01:30AM

I carry the 3 of them in my fridge... I'm wondering wich one is better (perhaps wich one has more omega 3's ?)

Chia and hemp is quite expensive, and flax costs nothing... !

So if its pretty much the same thing, i'll stick to flax only.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLAX vs. HEMP vs. CHIA
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:14AM

I heard that Hemp seeds won't sprout. Are they truly raw ?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 21, 2008 03:05AM

I can get flax for $1.39/lb.

Hemp is about 10x as much so I don't mess with it. Chia, I haven't priced it, but since it's a specialty item it's probably not something I can afford.

You don't need to spend a lot of money. All you need is an overt source of 2-4 g of omega3 per day and no more than 4x as much omega6.

Flax seed freshly ground in a coffee grinder is the absolute cheapest way to get enough. You could get enough from greens alone, but that is much more expensive.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 21, 2008 12:21PM

Flax -- they're cheap and readily available. I grind some up (2-3 T.) & put it in my smoothie every morning.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 21, 2008 04:43PM

none of them are human food

imo

Date: July 21, 2008 06:40PM

Why not?

Date: July 22, 2008 12:42AM

consider the following:

1. what is a food

2. is the assumption that we are deficient in fatty acids without seed/nut supplementation true?

3. that too much is just as bad as too little (too much can easily occur when not eating whole foods)

Date: July 22, 2008 12:58AM

Regarding 2,, we don't really know. There is a tendency for vegans to have "too much" omega6 and "not enough" omega3. So we eat these bizarre "foods" to compensate. I don't mind admitting that flax is not something I would choose otherwise. But, it's much more affordable than walnuts, which I adore.

Hwere is a good paper, see especially the section marked "implications of reduced essential fatty acid status"
[www.ajcn.org]

I suspect EFA status is much more critical to the pregnant or breastfeeding mother or to the infant or very young child, than to the adult.

Date: July 23, 2008 03:06AM

ahh... Fresh, are you a 80-10-10?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:10PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect EFA status is much more critical to the
> pregnant or breastfeeding mother or to the infant
> or very young child, than to the adult.

YES!!! deficiency is a major cause of postpardum depression. if only regular doctors would impart this info to pregnant and new mothers but they just don't know diddly about nutrition, unfortunately.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 23, 2008 07:11PM

i use hemp now primarily because it has both omega 3's & 6's. i think flax only has omega 3's??? not certain about that and too lazy to google. :-) i also love the flavor of hemp seed milk which i make pretty often. i used to use flax oil alot, and i don't know if it's only in my mind or what, but my monthly cycle is better and i get a little zip in my step if i have hempseed milk in the morning. makes me happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 07:12PM by rawangel.

Date: July 24, 2008 02:17AM

I use flax because there is no problem getting enough omega6 from other foods. Most of us get too much omega6 because it's so abundant.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 24, 2008 02:31AM

I use hemp seeds if I am making a pate or a sauce. I also like sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are pretty cheap.

However flax seeds give me a sore throat. If a eat a dehydrated cracker with a bit of flax as a binder, no problem. But one time I found raw plain flax crackers with no salt, and my body did not like that.

I agree with fresh about the need for supplementation is nil if you are eating a raw diet of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Date: July 24, 2008 04:31AM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ahh... Fresh, are you a 80-10-10?

well i'm quoted in the front of the book, so i would say yes but my goal is barehanded (no cutting, blending ) fresh raw whole which is a little beyond typical 811. i need to push that envelope a bit more. thanks for the nudge

seems like a lot of people think they're deficient, and are maybe trying some kind of nutrient insurance, while actually dragging themself down a bit instead via foods that don't make a meal alone.

seems that one might want to work on a fresh whole food diet and see how that goes. very few people do that first i suspect, although quite a few here seemingly eating real well from previous food diaries.

Date: July 24, 2008 04:10PM

you could actually chew on the flaxseeds then...

Date: July 24, 2008 04:50PM

...Then they would get that snotty texture and get caught in your teeth and maybe not be metabolized as efficiently as ground ones. I am still transitioning and feel like adding a few T. of ground flax to my smoothies gives them a nutritional boost.

Date: July 24, 2008 08:40PM

...exactly!

But its the way to eat them if you don't want to grind them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables