Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Master cleanse w/ wheatgrass?
Date: July 22, 2008 09:46PM

Hello all! I'm considering doing the master cleanse with a few tweaks-

1) I don't want to do any salt water flushes
2) I'd like to be also drinking some fresh juices (wheatgrass, other green stuff) alongside the lemon drink

Are there any valid reasons why I shouldn't omit the swfs and why I shouldn't add wheatgrass juice? The reason I'd like to do a master cleanse is because I've heard good things about it, and also it's more convenient to me right now than a full blown juice feast.

Any experiences with the mc would be appreciated smiling smiley

Re: Master cleanse w/ wheatgrass?
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: July 23, 2008 12:52AM

As soon as you make any modifications, it's no longer the master cleanse. More like a juice fast.

See the topics on this forum: [therawfoodsite.com]

Including the one: : Adding anything else to the MC

-DaveK

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:57AM

The problem that I always had with the swf is that I would absorb a little of the salt and then that would trigger me to eat something to get the salt moving out of my body. I would recommend enemas more than swfs.

I don't see any reason to not use wheatgrass, although davey is right, then it is no longer the MC.

I've been thinking of changing the MC by making raisin tea, soaking raisins in water, to substitute for the sweetner, I'll have to try that someday.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:57AM

hey si.. i did the master cleanse last year for 11 days, and i only did the SWF 3x.. the rest of the time i did the tea morning and night. i had spectacular results.

i am doing another mc right now (in honor of my first one last year that brought me to raw foods... i plan to do it annually) and i am finding the swf much easier this time around...

davey and lillian are right, if you add the wheatgrass its not a master cleanse, but a kind of modified juice cleanse. that's okay! of course the more different kinds of things you add, the more your body has to work, (kinda like the difference between eating a bunch of different kinds of raw foods all day, and monoeating some particular food) wheatgrass is a builder/nutrifier, and the lemons/cayenne are cleansing, so you're kind of doing two different things at once, and they may be at cross purposes? hmmm... i don't know. but i would hazard a guess that adding wheatgrass is technically not as cleansing as the strict master cleanse.

Date: July 23, 2008 05:01PM

Yeah, if you posted this same thing on the MC board you'd get a "no no no" telling you all the things you can't do on the MC becuase it would defeat the purpose. So here you're just going to get different answers becuase this isn't a focused group of Master Cleanse enthusiasts.

So it's kind of a matter of philosophy here. The MC philosophy is about getting stuff OUT and getting only bare minimum nutrition to keep you functioning.

Date: July 23, 2008 05:47PM

Thanks for the great replies, all smiling smiley It's funny, I was tempted to post these questions on another site that had a dedicated MC board, but the hostility there put me off. Big cheer for this lovely friendly board!

You guys are right, adding/taking away stuff from the master cleanse is deviating away from it, and I guess if I'm going to do it, I should do it properly. I'll start off normal, but if I feel that I'm about to really slip up, I'll add some green juice. Better it being green juice than a vegan nutella sandwich ;-)

With the SWFs, I was just worried about consuming a lot of salt. I've read it's 2 tsps sea salt to 1 quart water- that seems like a lot to be taking in for 10 days straight (I hope to do 10 days, realistically, I've probably be on here tomorrow crying pitifully on day 1!).

Glad to hear you had great results, maui!

Date: July 23, 2008 06:09PM

The salt isn't really an issue because it goes right through you. You don't have to do the SWF every single morning, but if you don't, you should do the detox tea in the morning, as well as in the evenings.

Date: July 23, 2008 06:38PM

Thanks for the tip smiling smiley

Just a quick question- after the SWF, how much time should I leave between doing it and getting ready to leave for work? I've never done one before, and don't want to enter a potentially embarrassing situation on the bus where I have to grab my belly and roar "Where's the toilet!! It's an emergency!"

Date: July 23, 2008 07:09PM

Oh yeah, make it a couple of hours just to be safe.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 23, 2008 07:37PM

10 years ago I made a 93 minute instructional video that had 9 programs to help people get and stay healthy and 1 of those programs was the Combination Juice Fast/Feast and Lemonade Fast (i.e. MC). I added this program because most of my students have to work or go to school and if they don't have a good quality juicer to make juices to take on the go, they need something to keep up with their energy needs. If half of your daily intake is coming from the MC, you might want to add some hemp protein powder and some superfood like VitaMineral Green.

I have coached thousands of people and have personally fasted/feasted for 863 days on 133 different occasions in the last 15 years and I do not recommend the salt water flush because some of the salt water stays inside of us. However, I have received a lot of positive feedback from many of my students who have used the salt water flush...it does work well for some people, but it has always (without exception) failed to work at some time and now you've got a whole quart of salty water in you.

There is nothing magical about only doing the MC by itself. A straight Juice Fast/Feast works just as well, if not a whole lot better than the MC. I would much prefer my students to only use the MC for convenience and rely more on fresh fruit and vegetable juices...the more vegetables the better.

Peace and Love.........John

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 25, 2008 12:24AM

suspendedindefinitely Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the SWFs, I was just worried about consuming
> a lot of salt.
In Theory it's okay because the Salt is supposed
to pass through quickly. In Practice, I've had mixed results.
Or as Yogi Berra said, "In Theory there is no difference
between theory and practice. In Practice there is".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables