Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nopales
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: July 23, 2008 08:47AM

How does it taste raw? Is it still slimey?
I was thinking of adding nopales to the repertoire. I see stacks of it at the Mexican market.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nopales
Posted by: Ryan ()
Date: August 13, 2008 07:57PM

i had a paddle of it not too long ago, i remember it being slightly tangy/citrusy and refreshing. it wasn't really slimy. just be sure to cut off those thorns!

Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 14, 2008 04:15PM

I've been adding nopales to my salsas this summer, so I can't say how it tastes alone. I cut them from "wild" prickly pear and have found that as I clip off the large spines and glochids (hair-like spines) there is lots of slimy, mucoid substance released from the cuts. After spine removal, I rinse the pad then slice it to fit in the blender. This releases more slime.

This weekend, I am going to harvest and consume some prickly pear fruit for the first time. I'm hoping it will be a delightful experience.

flash

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 11:11PM

I think it's slimy. It makes green smoothies nice and frothy. I imagine you could make a dip with it as well.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 18, 2008 09:24PM

I did not harvest anything this weekend. Instead, I signed up for a class this coming Thursday on harvesting and preparing prickly pear fruit, nopalitos, cholla buds, agave and mesquite.

I discovered glochids when I tried out cholla buds. You all would have had a good laugh at seeing me holding my tongue with one hand in front of my wife's magnified makeup mirror with a pair of tweezers and a penlight in the other trying to remove those painful little hairy spines.

flash

Posted by: socalvdubgirl ()
Date: August 19, 2008 01:01AM

Nopales are really good if you slice them up and use them in a salsa tomato, onions,lemon juice and cilantro are really good together.Ahh yeah salt is optional.. prickly pears and lemon juice and chili powder yummmm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables