Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

internet & raw foods
Posted by: rawproject ()
Date: June 20, 2006 08:00PM

I was just wondering...how much of a role has the internet played in your raw food lifestyle? Personally, I came across "raw foods" four years ago online. It took another year for me to actually run across a raw-foodist in person; 2 more years for me to meet a second. It seems like any kind of raw community I would have would exist solely online. Is that true for most of you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: internet & raw foods
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 20, 2006 08:28PM

It's certainly true for me, but I've been working hard at home (rural area) for a long time, and I've been somewhat out of touch socially. I'm currently looking for a part-time job outside my home, and I think maybe once I get out more, I'll meet some raw food people (since my community includes many alternative people).

If I don't meet others on the raw food diet, that will be OK too.

It's been very helpful to me that my husband is a very committed vegan (though not all raw food).

As far as the role the internet has played in my raw food life style: I'm new to the forum (it's my first forum ever) and my raw food life style has been established for some time now; but I have gained some useful knowledge from the forum even in just the past couple of months.

-Ally

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 10:02PM

that's true for me too. on line is where I discovered raw foods. since then, I've spoken to my doctor about it, and according to him, he'd only heard of it in reference to actors and movie stars. Now, he's looking up information daily on line for his own use as wellas for a couple of his patients.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 20, 2006 10:35PM

I've met several raw food people.....both in my community...and elsewhere......as I'm sure many others on the board will also concur. It's just a matter of outreach (and travel....for those who do). They are out there. I know I am! LOL.

-David Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 21, 2006 03:44AM

Hi,

try and organize a raw food potluck to meet rawfoodists in your area. If you don't have a kitchen big enough you can hold it in a public park. Put ads up in your local organic groccers and health shops (and the internet).

Good Luck,
Ian.

Date: June 21, 2006 03:52AM

You guys are just brimming with good ideas! I might take one or two of these and run with it. The vegan potluck thing is an aewsome one! Cool ness!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 21, 2006 01:21PM

wow luna, that is great news about your doctor!! Brill!

yes, I think the internet plays a HUGE part in this lifestyle. I've been raw 3 years and still never met a 'real life' rawbie (apart from the person who introduced me to the lifestyle, and I myself wasn't raw then of course). But I know lots and lots of wonderful rawbies, due to the power of the internet!

However, i am due to meet my first fellow real life rawbie next week (:

Rawproject, if you are asking due to academic reasons, a good source on this subject is 'The Virtual Community' by Harold Rheingold (included in my list of references in my dissertation). It's a really great read, he is passionate about the subject.

Posted by: cfd7f ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:44PM

I agree with Lisa M that the Internet has played a huge role in my raw food lifestyle. It has provided me with guidance and support (sites like this one have been indispensable). Living in New York City I have met plenty of raw foodists, but I have to say that I still get the most out of the internet.

Raw Daddy -- livin' raw and lovin' it

Date: June 21, 2006 09:53PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow luna, that is great news about your doctor!!
> Brill!
>
> yes, I think the internet plays a HUGE part in
> this lifestyle. I've been raw 3 years and still
> never met a 'real life' rawbie (apart from the
> person who introduced me to the lifestyle, and I
> myself wasn't raw then of course). But I know
> lots and lots of wonderful rawbies, due to the
> power of the internet!
>
> However, i am due to meet my first fellow real
> life rawbie next week (:
>
> Rawproject, if you are asking due to academic
> reasons, a good source on this subject is 'The
Virtual Community' by Harold Rheingold (included
> in my list of references in my dissertation).
> It's a really great read, he is passionate about
> the subject.

I'm glad my doctor listens to me, too! He actually gives me credit for being a nuses aide and using my brain! LOLOL ! ! I have a friend that says her doctor thinks of his nurses as nothing more than boobs with a mouth attached, so I guess I got the good doctor!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 21, 2006 11:06PM

I randomly met someone at a festival about 4 years ago who introduced me to raw foods. Since then my raw journey has mostly involved real life raw fooders and a large proprtion of my friends are raw or partly raw. The internet plays its part but it's real life that counts (for me at least!).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 22, 2006 12:54PM

wow rob you are so lucky! it must be amazing to be surrounded by rawbies - all that awesome raw energy (:

ps 'randomly met'... are you sure? (: ain't no such thing as random ((((:

Posted by: tvanilla ()
Date: June 22, 2006 02:28PM

I think it also depends on where you are. I'm currently looking for others but so far I haven't found anyone yet. I will be kicking up my search soon though because I want to have a live community.

~Tammie
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 22, 2006 05:52PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ps 'randomly met'... are you sure? (: ain't no
> such thing as random ((((:

Well, you know what I mean. It's not like I went searching for it or anything. I was stood in a queue for cooked food (!) and started chatting to the person in front of me who turned out to be a raw fooder (well, mostly!).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables