Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Any Body Had A Good Watermelon?
Date: July 31, 2008 03:26PM

sgc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So far, there are no GMO watermelon or cherries.
> If you get bland tasteless stuff, 2 reasons:
> 1- they come from far away, like Mexico in the US
> or Chile for cherries in winter. To transport
> them, they pick them green. If you go in Baja
> California, you can see trucks of green tomatoes
> being picked for the US. They are completely
> green, but by the time they reach the US, they get
> red. Red but no taste and acidic. That's why most
> people prefer them cooked than raw!!!
> 2- the commercial varieties nowadays are develop
> for transporting the goods long distance, not for
> the taste. Like strawberries, that can get big but
> resist several days off the plant. If you take any
> old variety, and pick it almost ripe, it won't
> last more than a couple days, and will turn bad.
> The only way to get better quality stuff: buy
> local and in season. No other alternative.
> Otherwise you end up being disgusted by fruits
> like F1 said he is almost, and you may fell off
> the track.

Yeah the watermelons I get from one store are from Houston and they are like tap water, the ones I get that are local are not much better!

F1

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 31, 2008 03:28PM

debbietook Wrote:
> Richard, I haven't been able to get any proper
> watermelons this year except the pale red seedless
> varieties.
>
> I have some reason to believe they're GM, although
> I understand that, officially, UK isn't selling GM
> fruit.

Wow, I remember when I was growing up in the UK back in the seventies, fruits were sooooo good....but now they really aren't anywhere close!!!

Did you get good water melons last year?

L1

Posted by: zella ()
Date: July 31, 2008 03:32PM

I started doing some research on how I want to grow my own fruits and veggies and it occured to me that most fertilizers are made with animal products( turkey parts and feathers). And also, the water used to water them at the farm is probably not filtered.

It makes me want to get my garden started ASAP so I can have my fruits and veggies MY WAY.

Vegetarian Children's Book Club ~ [VegetarianChildrensBookClub.com]

Books for and about Vegetarian, Vegan, and Raw Vegan Kids!

Date: July 31, 2008 03:41PM

zella Wrote:
> I started doing some research on how I want to
> grow my own fruits and veggies and it occured to
> me that most fertilizers are made with animal
> products( turkey parts and feathers). And also,
> the water used to water them at the farm is
> probably not filtered.
>
> It makes me want to get my garden started ASAP so
> I can have my fruits and veggies MY WAY.

That's right.....that's why their getting all these illnesses from produce now!

For years I've actually been feeling my body intuition rejecting fruits and I believe that this is the reason.

L1

Posted by: zella ()
Date: July 31, 2008 05:25PM

What are you going to do about it Richard? Will you start growing your own?

Vegetarian Children's Book Club ~ [VegetarianChildrensBookClub.com]

Books for and about Vegetarian, Vegan, and Raw Vegan Kids!

Date: July 31, 2008 06:01PM

zella Wrote:
> What are you going to do about it Richard? Will
> you start growing your own?

I've been experimenting with growing my own with limited success but I am actually finding myself moving away from fruits all together, it's funny because with the experimenting I've learnt which fruits that I've been buying are actually have living seeds in them....a lot of the mangoes that we buy for the children have not grown this year, where as last year I couldn't stop them!!!!

It's been very interesting!

RB

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: July 31, 2008 06:48PM

Maybe my taste buds are off... I'm in Canada, so watermelons are not local here. I've been loving them!! In fact I despised watermelon prior to becoming a raw foodie. Last summer I dabbled in them. This summer I am devouring them! They are so flavorful and energy giving!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: August 01, 2008 02:08AM

Hi Richard,

Do you want to consider eating organic fruits? I know it sounds high class and expensive but you know, organic foods are actually what our ancestors have been eating before humans created all the chemical fertilizers and pesticides... They certainly taste better as they are grown naturally and packed with the right amount of nutrients to meet human body's needs. With all that chemicals they put into the soil while growing conventional produce, they might have depleted the minerals in soil which made you feel that fruits are getting less and less appealing.

Just my thoughts.

All the Best,
Wong

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: August 01, 2008 04:03PM

Watermelon is mostly bland in Toronto too. Have seen some organic ones and may treat myself at $10.99 or more for a mid size ouch.

Sapphire,
I have found nectarines awful this year or is it too early yet? The bigger and sexier they look the less they have any scent or flavour. They just do not ripen. Haven't been able to find a canteloupe that was ripe either. By the time they feel soft enough to eat they are kinda rotting inside. Had a couple of batches of good cherries but lately now they're all puckered and too ripe.

F1, I love oranges too! I think I could eat them every day no problem if theyre fresh and sweet. They brought me through the Canadian winter. Unexpectedly I'm addicted. I ate Cara Cara's for weeks then those honey tangerines at least 6 at a time, couldn't wait to get at them every day! My mouth was raw and itchy most of the time from eating them too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2008 04:05PM by Dulset.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 02, 2008 08:36AM

I've gotten some good ones from Stop & Shop for $6 each (big, heavy, oblong ones). They usually just have seedless but recently they had some seeded ones & I bought five of them. Seedless is crap. And they still have seeds anyway, just white impotent seeds that come out in your sh!t. I love eating the black watermelon seeds. I saved some and planted them just for the hell of it. Got some sprouts comin' up, don't know if they'll mature into full plants, would be cool if they did. smiling smiley

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: August 02, 2008 12:07PM

My tastebuds must be funky

cos every single one has been awesome here in the UK, big seeded ones. No seedless

Bought loads of organic from my local supplier..not had any "mini"or seedless varieties..

but they have been superb.. maybe I am used to them tasting like they do?!

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 02, 2008 06:33PM

Dulset:
I have found nectarines (and peaches) to be very hit an miss for years, it's a real treat on the rare occasion that I find a good one. And I haven't come across any seeded ones yet, nor have I tried any organic ones.

Cantaloupe is another unpredictable one. It's great that I still find the occasional perfect one, but you just can't tell until you try it. I have a cherry tree in my front yard that is loaded with beautiful ripe cherries, but my kids don't like them because they are a lot smaller than the giant ones in the stores. They are delicious though (my hubby is constantly afraid we will track cherry juice all over the house, haha!!)

This past winter I ate some fantastic oranges - costco got some navel oranges at one point and I think I ate almost nothing else for about two weeks, they were wonderful, so sweet and juicy. My kids couldn't resist them either, I bought case after case. I try to buy organic sometimes, but the prices are crazy unpredictable. It's hard to pick up an over-ripe organic avocado for $ 5.00 each, when the regular ones are perfect and only 59 cents. Frustrating! I don't even know what an organic watermelon would cost.

Sapphire

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: August 02, 2008 10:37PM

Sapphire Wrote:
> I have found nectarines (and peaches) to be very
> hit an miss for years, it's a real treat on the
> rare occasion that I find a good one.
That's because they are among the most fragile fruits. They get bad very fast when bruise, so they are picked hard and unripe to ship them well, organic or not. If you want good ones, you have to go local.

>
> Cantaloupe is another unpredictable one. It's
> great that I still find the occasional perfect
> one, but you just can't tell until you try it.
You can find a good cantaloupe by the smell. First, a ripe cantaloupe just detach itself from the vine, so there shouldn't be any remaining tip of the vine, or it should detach easily. Second, a ripe cantaloupe smells good and strong from the top where it was attached to the vine. Hope it helps. I picked one from my garden tonight. Ripe on the vine, it came off by itself, and the smell was so strong in the house when I brought it back that we couldn't resist, and what a treat!

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables