Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hair care
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 22, 2006 01:50AM

I have waist length hair, and humidity makes it frizzy. Can some one suggest a hair care line that will stop this problem? I've been told that thick hair is just like that, but i've seen plenty of people with thick hair and it's silky and glossy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hair care
Posted by: SkyeBlue ()
Date: June 22, 2006 04:03AM

Have you tried henna? Henna works brilliantly. It coats the hair and strengthens it to prevent frizzing.

I use dark brown henna on my frizzy curls, it's excellent! You can get loads of other colours or 'neutral henna' cassia obovata.

Rinses of cold nettle tea or diluted fresh nettle juice coats and strengthens the hair too. I find that it also straightens my hair out.

The best shop bought haircare line I've found for frizzy hair is Aussie. Adding a little bit of honey to the conditioner works really well (honey is a humectant). If you don't use honey, maple syrup works too.

You could also try using oils/butters to smooth out the frizzies. Coconut oils is the best I've found, but there are loads of others that might work better for you like shea, cocoa etc.

HTH

SkyeBlue

x x x

Date: June 22, 2006 11:51AM

Are aussie products vegan friendly, though? I've seen some of the natural hair care products. I just don't know which ones are best for my hair type. I don't want all kinds of funky chemicals in it if it can be avoided.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 22, 2006 12:49PM

Drinking Kombucha tea (or washing the hair with it) is supposed to be very good for the hair.

I'm very interested in the henna - esp the neutral one. Does it not cause any colour change? And with the coloured henna - isn't it really messy to apply? That's what I've heard. And how about the roots? I'd love to start using it but I'm not very good at doing colours myself, I always go to the hairdressers.

Date: June 22, 2006 05:43PM

I hear ya' there! the last time I colored my own hair I had to use 3 bottles of colorant to get it all through my hair. What a messy ordeal! Not to mention stinkie! EEEWWWW! ! !

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: June 22, 2006 06:35PM

I've used henna twice, loved the smell, and had no problem with messiness at all!

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 22, 2006 06:53PM

I looove Miessence and Aubrey Organics. Both are awesome and use no nasty chemicals at all. Aubrey Organics can be found in natural food stores worldwide and Miessence can be found in select natural stores.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 22, 2006 07:31PM

OK ! ! Thanks guys! !

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 23, 2006 11:44AM

avocado

Date: June 23, 2006 12:08PM

do you mean use it like a hair masque? mashed and worked onto the hair?

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: July 04, 2006 01:29AM

I have hair past my butt, too!

Anyway, I need to get professional products (Aveda) to keep this long hair healthy. I've used some organics before from the Food Co-op, but it made my hair really hard to comb out. As for the frizzy's, I need to use a little of BioSilk. It turns out really nice.

Date: July 04, 2006 02:35AM

thanks for the help guys! ! I'm not liking humidity at all. touchy hair and I'm planning to try the biosilk.

Date: July 04, 2006 03:47PM

Oh my, Aveda, while vegan, is loaded with crap. Miessence is very good as is Aubrey Organics.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: July 04, 2006 10:09PM

Well, rawmark,it isn't certified organic, true. Everyone has their own convictions. Everyone is at different stages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2006 10:12PM by shep252.

Date: July 05, 2006 12:45PM

What isn't certified as organic? Miessence or Aubrey? To my knowledge, both are certified organic. Yes, we all have our own convictions but I'm not speaking about just standard stuff in aveda. I'm speaking of sls and other such nasty things. Just look at the label, of course you need a magnifying glass. Also, they use other things in their product that coat the hair, unnecessarily, and give it the illusion that it's healthy when it's simply coated. The other two lines I mentioned have no synthetics, no sls, no parabens, etc.

I know that aveda is better than most, but I also remember seeing some suspicious ingredients in their products when I was using them. Remember, just because they call themselves natural doesn't mean they are. The same can be said about Jason's and Toms of Maine.

The following, from aubrey organics website, is a list of the ten chemical ingredients you should avoid and why.

1. Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Studies have shown that they are weakly estrogenic and can be absorbed by the body through the skin. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic.

2. Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) — Often used in cosmetics as emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation and dryness of hair and skin. DEA and TEA are "amines" (ammonia compounds) and can form cancer-causing nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

3. Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea — These are widely used preservatives. The American Academy of Dermatology has found them to be a primary cause of contact dermatitis. Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals contains a good antifungal agent, and they must be combined with other preservatives. Both these chemicals release formaldehyde, which can be toxic.

4. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate — A cheap, harsh detergent used in shampoos for its cleansing and foam-building properties. Often derived from petroleum, it is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the phrase "comes from coconuts." It causes eye irritation, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, skin rashes and other allergic reactions.

5. Petrolatum — Also known as petroleum jelly, this mineral oil derivative is used for its emollient properties in cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. It often creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

6. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. It has been known to cause allergic reactions, hives and eczema. When you see PEG (polyethylene glycol) or PPG (polypropylene glycol) on labels, beware—these are related synthetics.

7. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, styling aids and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since inhaled particles can damage the lungs of sensitive persons.

8. Stearalkonium Chloride — A quaternary ammonium compound used in hair conditioners and creams. Developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, it is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which are beneficial to the hair. Causes allergic reactions. Toxic.

9. Synthetic Colors — Used to make cosmetics "pretty," synthetic colors, along with synthetic hair dyes, should be avoided at all costs. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.

10. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply read "fragrance." Some problems caused by these chemicals include headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation—the list goes on. Advice: Don't buy a cosmetic that has the word "fragrance" on the ingredients label.

Marcos

Date: July 05, 2006 01:28PM

I've been doing some serious thinking about the miesense line. I've gone to their web site and nosed around some. I used to have a home based business with meleleuka and loved the freedom it afforded me, so that's another draw for me. I have to try the products first, though. How can you opperate an ethical business, if you don't like and believe in the products????? right?

Date: July 05, 2006 08:26PM

rawmark, I'm sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I meant that Aveda wasn't certified organic.

Thanks for the info. I will think about it.

Posted by: geneticpromise ()
Date: July 06, 2006 03:39PM

Hi,

My hair is real short, but I find that being all raw, no fruit, low fat, etc., big on greens, I don't have to use any products on my hair, not even soap. I haven't washed my hair in four months, even though I've gotten dirt and paint in it. It just brushes out, no dandruff. I rarely use soap on my body either.

In case this helps.

GeneticPromise

Posted by: geneticpromise ()
Date: July 06, 2006 03:43PM

Hi,

My hair is real short, but I find that being all raw, no fruit, low fat, etc., big on greens, I don't have to use any products on my hair, not even soap. I haven't washed my hair in four months, even though I've gotten dirt and paint in it. It just brushes out, no dandruff. I rarely use soap on my body either.

In case this helps.

GeneticPromise

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 06, 2006 04:06PM

Intersting diet, GeneticPromise. Is no fruit good for you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables