Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dr Flora's Pinapple ripening instructions, anyone?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2006 05:54AM

has anybuddy got a copy of this? i think i have it on floppy but this new computer, of course, only takes disks (who designed that?!?).
i bought a pineapple, something i hardly ever do since they cost the EaRtH!! and instead of ripeing on the counter it's getting spots of fluffy white mold and still hard as a spiky green and yellow rock. i hope the mold is only on the skin and that there's something i can do about it and to make it soften up before it rots.

help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr Flora's Pinapple ripening instructions, anyone?
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 22, 2006 04:35PM

Don't know if Dr. Flora has anything proprietary as far as ripening a pineapple is concerned. I learned a long time ago to poke a few holes in the bottom of the pineapple and arround the very bottom edges. Stand the entire pineapple up in a small saucer with water. Let sit out for a few days. As the pineapple ripes you will smell this most wonderful fragrance of a ripened pineapple.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 23, 2006 12:54AM

awesome!

Date: June 23, 2006 01:39AM

dr flora had Great instructions on ripening pineapple, i hope someone remembers...
in the meantime i guess i'll cut the bottom bit with the white fluffy mold off and sit it up in a dish of water. thanks.

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: June 23, 2006 06:13AM

a couple of posts i had saved from dr. flora:

Re: Question about Pineapple
Author: drflora3rd (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: 02-04-02 00:41

Hi, monkey. Here's the solution to all 3 of your's problems. The way one finds pineapples in the stores nowadays, unless one is really lucky, is that they are picked green and even the best is still not ripe. When I worked for Dr. Wigmore in Puerto Rico, the ones we bought were bright orange and you could smell them before you saw them at the market.
This is the way we survive here in South Dade and the Keys: buy the most yellow one you can find. Refuse the blue-green dyed ones: the insecticide is mixed with the dye which is a known liver carcinogen and if you give them a 1 minute hot water bath, pat them dry, put them in fresh hot water and pat them dry again, some will get off. Don't let them stay in the hot water, because when they cool off, the dye just goes back on. Anyway, when you buy a partially yellow one, punch holes in the stem end and place it, after you wash it, into the sun in a little bowl of water about 1" deep. Keep it in the sun for a couple of days and your effort will be rewarded as you see your little pineapple get ripe for you. It will turn yellow. You must not eat it (eat the flesh), but juice it and chugalug it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and it will reward you again by dissolving all ov your cholesterol and fatty stuff hanging around in your gall bladder and liver, and you will begin to sweat all sorts of oily, greasy stuff out of your pores, and you will feel so good as the bromelaine enzyme from the pineapple does it's work. I would not eat the 'eyes' of the pineapple at all because that's where the flowers were and lots of the insecticide is concentrated there. No ripe pineapple will make someone bleed. Most of the fruits are picked green and 'color enhanced' from here. Please read "Healing Foods" by a wonderful lady who works with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine like I do who knows that certain fruits that are very common because of the long shelf life actually dissolve the calcium in our bones. Pineapple is not one of those, but picked green, it can make our insides raw, just like jalapeno peppers!

Re: pineapple chugging club (dr. flora)
Author: drflora (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: 12-03-04 17:08

Dear Bremmie, Pick out the most yellow pineapple you can find, wash it well and poke holes in the stem end of the fruit with a plastic fork, and put it in a glass or ceramic saucer with fresh non-chlorinated water in it in the direct sun. If it has a lot of green, it may take a few days, but finally, it will smell glorious and be yellow all over. I put dulse soaking water in it sometimes to increase the minerals.

Cut the greens off and the bottom, peel it (there are great methods to do that, cutting it diagonally in shallow ''v's'after it's peeled to get all of the eyes out - learned that at Roberts Fruit Stand in Florida City, FL - west of town. Juice it and first thing in the am, chugalug it after you've magnified the magnificence of the vitamins and enzymes by holding it in the sun for a minute while saying a little prayer of thanks. Don't drink or eat another thing for at least an hour. Exercise, do yoga, etc.

You're not through with it yet. Take the pulp out of the machine and go into the bathroom. Strip naked and rub the pulp over the parts of your body that need to have the fat dissolved. Only leave it on and massage for 10 minutes. The pulp turns acid very quickly, so you must time yourself.

I've saved people's feet from being amputated by massaging pineapple pulp into them and pushing up on the inside of their legs. The bromelaine dissolves the trapped plasma protein and they eliminate it in their urine. The circulation in their feet returns. This is particularly effective with pitting edema. Rinse after 10 min.

P.S. This has nothing to do with pineapple, but might be of help to someone. My own right foot was going to be amputated after a taxi ran over it in NY, because of the resulting gangrene and blood poisoning that came when a doctor put the cast on too tight, but I used wheatgrass juice, comfrey and hot and cold water to save it. Don't even have a twinge now when it's going to rain!

peace and love, Dr. Flora 3rd

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: June 23, 2006 11:35AM

Hi Coco

I read that pineapples (And Oranges) do not continue to ripen when they are picked from the tree. If this is correct you will not be able to ripen a pineapple bought from a shop.

It sounds like this is correct as your pineapple went mouldy and did not continue to ripen.

Galileo

"I am not rich enough to buy cheap"

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 23, 2006 06:00PM

I refuse to eat any veggie that is not Organic. Therefore, I never have to worry about insecticide.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 24, 2006 02:42AM

holy crap people, i did not ask for your negative bullsh!t, i asked for dr flora's instructions (or any other helpful suggestions) on ripening a pineapple. what the hell is wrong with you? keep your detox to yourselves. i've been doing raw for over 6 years, i don't need your naysaying, thanks anyhow.

(sorry for the vehemence other people but really! that's too much.)

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: June 25, 2006 12:30PM

Hi Coco

Raw food does not seem to have helped your temper. You need to take a chill pill:>winking smiley or try some relaxing camomile.

Date: June 25, 2006 04:42PM

honestly, is this all you have to contribute? negativity and then condescention? "take a chill pill"?
grow up.
there was no need for you to post your non-ripening supposition (one you aren't even at all sure of yourself), it wasn't at all what this thread was about. obviously i eat pineapple, i am a beleiver in eating pineapple, i'm going to eat the pineapple i ALREADY have. were you just trying to ruin the experience for me with your post? that's really nice.
pop your own pills, drink your own cooked chamomile tea, and by all means avoid pineapple and oranges. and if you don't have anything useful to contribute might i suggest that you stick to reading.
and have a nice day.

oh, and by the way, my post was directed at you AND marcos (whom i happen to know and like) for the most unhelpful neg-o crap.

Date: June 27, 2006 01:51AM

Galileo

You are correct pineapples and oranges do not ripen any more when picked.

Coco after reading your previous posts I would like to remind you of the rules of the bulletin board which are

Not Permitted on the boards:

* Foul language
* Rude, offensive, insulting or vulgar posts.

Your cursing is not appreciated here please keep a lid on it

Date: June 27, 2006 03:13AM

blah blah blah whatever. once again, i depart the board.

Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: June 27, 2006 03:54AM

you all (responders, have respect) should understand the light that coco can bring to this board that is/has been missing.

No offense to Raw Brian, but ever since this board has changed formats, lost the many wise ones except for Lois, Narz, Texas Pear, La V, Dave M, and the so few others that have stuck, I miss those like Coco, who ask about and give what seems to be the most beneficial info discussed in any raw forum.

I am a self proclaimed lurker, not posting much. But if you new ones new what was best, give your egos a rest and try to nourish one another, the same you would the vegetables in your own garden, Organic or not.

Date: June 29, 2006 04:51PM

In every community you will have rule breakers. The rules are there for a reason.

Rule breakers need to be expelled or fall on their sword like coco. This is for the good of the community.

There can be no favourites.

Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: June 30, 2006 02:51AM

not talking favourites, just wise ones, like, as in, listening to your elders and those who keep things smart and fresh...

I'm just a bit bent because I miss the living foods of yesterday, but there are many newcomers with new perspectives and light to shed,

and I didn't realize there were hall moniters out there, rule breakers? are you a moderator or an interested and curious soul searching for wellness? just trying to convey that if you can put a little syntax past you, you can still learn and be motivated, which I is why I think we're all here.

only love, light, and life

GG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables