Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Please- EVERYONE- read & respond!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2006 09:19PM

[www.publix.com]

Low-fat diets protect against some cancers and heart disease. False.
Don't count on a diet low in fat and high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to prevent cancers or heart disease. The Women's Health Initiative, the largest study of women's health in the United States, has found no significant difference in incidence of heart disease, stroke, and colon cancer between women eating a low-fat diet and those consuming higher levels of fats. There was slightly less incidence of breast cancer, but not enough to be statistically significant. Health experts say the study is not an excuse to load up on high-fat foods. "The results of this study do not change established recommendations on disease prevention," says Elizabeth G. Nabel, M.D., director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. "Women should continue to get regular mammograms and screenings for colorectal cancer and work with their doctors to reduce their risks for heart disease, including following a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol."

Please email a comment on this to Publix at:

[www.publix.com]

The truth must be heard!

Thanks.
Chari

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please- EVERYONE- read & respond!
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 22, 2006 11:00PM

I think our diet is fine. It's not necessarily low in fat, we just eat good natural fats from seeds and nuts.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 22, 2006 11:01PM

It's not EXACTLY the low-fat aspect of eating fresh fruits and vegetables that's the most powerful.

-David Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 22, 2006 11:12PM

Generally i consider it silly for healthy people to eat low-fat diets. Especially people who are paying more money for food with stuff taken out of it. Take milk, it's hard to find milk that hasn't had most of the fat taken out (and replaced by other stuff like vit-D)...

Yet another reason why living a raw vegan life style is easier and healthier.

Ian.

Date: June 23, 2006 12:45AM

good ol' Publix. they will change the world.

heh heh, when I lived in Florida I also called Publix, Pubix in my head. I wonder who decided to name the grocery chain that.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 23, 2006 12:53AM

I read it, but I don't have anything smart to say... alas.

Date: June 23, 2006 04:11AM

ThomasLantern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read it, but I don't have anything smart to
> say... alas.

You're not supposed to admit that, you should only reply to posts when you do have something clever to say. That way everyone will assume that if you really wanted to you could think of something smart to say about every thread.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 23, 2006 05:47AM

I agree with Luna et al. ThomasLantern, you and NNNNNarz are so FUNNY!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 23, 2006 11:40AM

that quasi "statement" article
doesn't seem to say much at all either way
cancer is caused by whatevber constituents create cellular disorder

certainly that could be a plethora of things
including stress, environment, etc etc
i think by now, the general public realizes this

instead of FOCUSING on the idea that a diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in "bad" fats does NOT prevent cancer, it should say that a diet of fruits and vegetables and low in "harmful"(cooked/rancid) fats is the optimal DIETARY foundation

however, all other mental, emotional, physical and spiritual methods of health
must be concurrently employed in order to have the cells in happy and healthy working order

there seems to be a lot of articles out there
that laud one fruit, berry or vegetable as having anti cancerous properties

conversely there seems to be a myriad of articles that seem to say the same thing as the above article: that this or that item will not prevent cancer

i think that there ought to be just one article out there
that says do everything in your power to stay healthy and you may remain that way

instead of nit picking at this or that item
as if it were simply ONE thing that would make or break cellular order

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 23, 2006 04:52PM

"A low-fat diet does not prevent cancer"

Ok, duh. Of course it doesn't. I thought by now the low-fat diet fad had long proven a failure?

There are several problems associated with low-fat diets:
1) Too much sugar. Sugar leads to yeast, yeast mutates to cancer.
2) Too low in healthy fats, which are essential for brain function, etc.
3) Too much processed food. Turning high-fat foods into low-fat foods requires unnatural processing - this can't be good for you, and probably all those chemicals increase one's cancer risk.
4) It's a diet that people simply can't stick to long-term. The body seems naturally averse to this diet plan.

I read a good article on this a few years ago, sorry can't remember where though.

I'm surprised that researchers still focus on fat in the diet. The low-fat diet craze was 10, 15 years ago and in that time I've read dozens of well-researched studies that would indicate that we need to look elsewhere for answers. Fat in and of itself is irrelevant.

I think if you're a scientist, you should be on the cutting edge of research, not plodding along with the status quo.

Date: June 23, 2006 06:31PM

or the food production companies out to make a buck at the consumers expence. Is it true that some of the chemicals used to make fat free margerine are the same as in our gasoline in our cars? I don't remember where I heard that, but it shocked me!

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: June 23, 2006 07:29PM

Yes, luna-sky, I read that as well. My husband also told me that he read that for an experiment, you should set a tub of margarine and a tub of real butter out in your garage. The butter will quickly turn moldy, but the margarine never changes. Yuck. Who wants THAT in their body?? No thanks.

Date: June 23, 2006 09:14PM

definately not me! EEWWWW! ! !

Date: June 24, 2006 12:32AM

Most margarines I have seen have hydrogenated oil in them - it is used so that margarine can keep it's "butter-like" form (the process of hydrogenation could make the oil as hard as a brick if they wanted to make it so).. Apparently the body does not appreciate this type of oil and cannot make any good use of it. And so, ironically, those margarine commercials that claim it's good for your heart are lying... this stuff will clog your arteries. (Or so I've read)

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: June 24, 2006 01:06AM

Actually, I read a report on the aformentioned study (which indicates that a low-fat diet does no help reduce the risk of cancer) and it said that the study made no distinction between polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, or saturated fats. (Personally, I highly doubt that they made a distinction between raw and cooked fats.) Also, the report named other studies that indicated that a so-called "lowfat diet" (less than 30% fat) DOES help reduce the risk of many maladies, cancer included.
My conclusion: Eat a moderate amount of raw fat from plant sources, and try to get a reasonably balanced ratio of omega-3s, omega-6s, and omega-9s.

Date: June 24, 2006 01:22AM

how do you get omegas from plant sourses? I need to know what raw foods offer them.

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: June 24, 2006 01:28AM

Hmm. Well, let's think.
I know that flax seeds, chia seeds, evening primrose seeds, and black current oil are known as "super sources", but I'm not sure if any of them are "perfectly" balanced. Oh, wait, I think that hemp seeds are supposed to be perfect, and they also supply something that fish oils don't have, I think (although I might be wrong on that one.) I know that flax is only a good source for omega-3s, so don't rely on them exclusively. Most nuts are good sources for omega-6s I think, and I seem to recall the ideal ratio of omega-3s to omega-6s to be 1:3, but double check that.
Personally, I don't really keep track.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: June 24, 2006 01:46AM

Hemp seeds and oil for omegas

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 24, 2006 02:19AM

A low fat raw vegan diet will prevent cancer. The study involved used people who were eating cooked low fat meals. Also, it didn't say how low the diet was. It could be that they considered 30% low fat (since it is 12% lower than the American average). 30% fat is not that low. Low might be 5% fat.

A truly low fat cooked vegan diet (10% or less) will go a long way to preventing cancer. This means no fried foods, no oils.

Better yet would be a low fat cooked vegan diet with only steaming or boiling as the cooking method. This would reduce the number of carcinogen created by the cooking process.

Date: June 24, 2006 03:10AM

Just eat the smartest raw foodist you know, when they are naked (me excluded). [/spam]

Thanks for the info though guys.

Date: June 24, 2006 03:24AM

hey hey hey! ! ! Some of us have virginal eyes! LOLOL! ! !

Date: June 24, 2006 05:16AM

lol!

Date: June 24, 2006 08:22AM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A low fat raw vegan diet will prevent cancer.

This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This advice is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. winking smiley

Didn't a low-fat raw vegan dude come down with prostate cancer a year or so ago?

Date: June 24, 2006 05:56PM

I'm getting more and more so I don't want processed fats.

A friend that had triple bypass heart surgery 16 years ago is mostly vegetarian (except for fish, but he will be giving up fish soon as he hates to hurt living creatures), swears by NO OILS other than flax oil and no added sweeteners. He has kept himself in good shape with these as two hard and fast rules.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables