Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

100% Raw Foodists - You're Really Horrid!
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 13, 2008 06:40PM

I'm a 100% raw foodist, and I'm really horrid! Are you?

This morning I dared to complain to a raw food company that some of the food in the ‘raw food section’ of their website wasn’t raw, at all, (eg the muesli contained roasted hemp, the almond drink contained rice, and (sure, obviously not raw) …dried pasta) – in other words, we’re not talking about the fine points of agave nectar processing here! The strongest word I used was ‘disappointed’, I put the pasta in capitals, and used one or two explanation marks.

The company, who I have always supported in the past, sent by return e-mail a blistering attack on me, reducing me to tears (yes, I know – I’m over-sensitive!), accused me of being ‘aggressive’, used the term ‘raw food police’ (oh that one again!) and referred to me as ‘people like you’.

Although it was horrible to receive this from those I had thought of as friends, it did drive me to write an article that has been a long time building up…

SO

Have any raw foodists (that’s the kind that don’t eat any cooked food – you know, as people used to understand the term?) felt more criticised for their food choices within the raw food community than outside it?

If so, you’re not alone. Here’s my blog article on this today (with thanks to XXXX – the company who shall remain nameless).

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Do comment via the blog - would love to hear from you...

Love, Debbie Took

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100% Raw Foodists - You're Really Horrid!
Date: August 13, 2008 06:52PM

When I first started out as a Fruitarian I took so much crap/abuse from other raw foodists, way more than any cooked foodist.

I think that if that company took that attitude with you then they are not a raw vegan company with high standards or morales.

F1

Date: August 13, 2008 07:11PM

BTW, I'd still prefer not to say which company, but should say, in case anyone guesses and visits the site now and is wondering what I'm going on about, that they have probably by now changed things, as the e-mail included this sentence:

'I have changed the 'raw food section' wording in the title but I
would have appreciated your less aggressive tone in this matter, as
you are not a shareholder'

And this was my 'aggressive' e-mail to them (names deleted/replaced to protect the not-so-innocent, as I'm hoping (probably vainly) for some sort of apology:

XXXXX (contains rice) XXXXX (contains roasted hemp) and....XXXXX (pasta)??! None of these
products are remotely raw. Disappointed to see this, XXXXXX. If (RAW food company in question)wants to sell cooked food, well...that' s your decision, but the products should at least a) not appear in your 'Raw Food Section
and b) be clearly marked 'not raw' (as your company is called (RAW food company in question) Love Debbie Took

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 13, 2008 07:19PM

funny how people get pissy when they commit fraud and you call them on it
patty

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 13, 2008 07:20PM

I try and buy as little prepared or processed food as possible. I stay close to the produce aisle when in the supermarket and I frequent farmers' markets.

Sometimes it is tough when you don't have access to fresh fruits and vegetables or if you are traveling or camping and want to stock up on things you can eat.

I had raw, unprocessed papaya for breakfast this morning... continuing my papaya addiction. For lunch, I had a mango and banana smoothie.

I love this food!

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

"May all beings be happy."

Posted by: zella ()
Date: August 13, 2008 07:56PM

you should name them so people will be aware.

I usually just don't get a response when I write emails. Then I have to just stop using the product. Which is fine. I am at the stage where I can make my own stuff anyways.

Date: August 13, 2008 09:11PM

Hi everyone

Just one more thing - as Cherie pointed out via the blog article, I've posted this on more than one forum. That's not out of a fit of pique re my experience with the company. That simply fared as an introduction to the post subject.

It's simply that I do want to reach as many 100% raw foodists as possible with the blog article, as...the 100% raw-bashers didn't bother me the first time, nor the tenth perhaps, but after repeated wearing-down, I felt the article's 'time had come'!

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 13, 2008 09:15PM

<<<funny how people get pissy when they commit fraud and you call them on it>>>

I have seen this side of human behavior in almost every situation you could imagine. It's the best defense is a good offense mentality. Every one seems to want to divert attention from the dumb thing they did, so they change the subject and usually attack the person who called them on it. We don’t want to know that we have a dark side to our behavior just like we don’t want to know that we have to give up something we love that’s bad for us…that's why we run to denial.

The best thing to do is keep throwing their shadow (the dark side of the behavior) right back in their face. Make them confront it. For some people, that’s the only way they’re going to realize what they’re doing. And it is for their benefit. It’s not what they want to hear, but we know it’s what they need to hear because running to denial does not solve any of our problems.

So, name the drama as the Celestine Prophecy would say. Why are you cheating me? Why are you lying to me? Why are you attacking me?

Peace and Love………John

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: August 13, 2008 09:52PM

dewey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> funny how people get pissy when they commit fraud
> and you call them on it
> patty

That should be the next email you send them!

david

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 12:20AM

Debbie, Sorry to hear that you were so disrespected. I agree with dewey. I think that some people are intentionally dishonest for their own goals and when they find out anything that deters from their goal attainment, they attack whatever/whoever is in the way.

I go to the local "health food" store. They think they're doing great things because they cook in the latest, Canola oil. I've warned the people at the counter that it's deadly but they don't care. Sadly, all their prepared food, including cakes and pies are made with Canola oil, too.

Who are we to interfere in someone's profit motive?

I guess the best way we can take a stand is to not contribute with our dollars. That's not going to help the people who aren't informed but we must seek truth for ourselves. Some choose not to seek it.

Regards,
Therese

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 14, 2008 12:44AM

Debbie, I am sorry for what happened to you. sad smiley Do not let this stop you from living your life the way you want! smiling smiley

I read the article on your page, and I think it highlights an important issue. Can you believe that I actually do have times when I choose not to be 100% raw because I do not want an attachment with the qualities I despise?

Unfortunately, there exist 100% raw foodists who do behave in the very way described in the article, and this may well result in a bad image for everyone else who chooses to be 100% raw. I have seen some very unloving, judgmental, arrogant, repulsive behaviours coming from people who think they are better than others, purer than others because they eat 100% raw vegan. I have certainly noticed that such tendencies could well develop in me as well, and consequently became very careful about that they do NOT! I consciously work on not letting the possibe negative energy overcome me. In the first couple of years of my experience with raw I was learning what to eat, then in the next couple of years I was learning how to eat it, but after that I focused on how to thrive, in a full meaning of the word, ecompassing not only my colon.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 14, 2008 01:53AM

It must have upset you! For my part, I feel no need to defend the 'raw food' label....or the 'fruitarian' label....or any other label. I have information to share.....but no program or product to sell. Therefore it is easy for me to simply forego the products/services that are not healthy. It does not suprise me at all when someone gets a criticism where it hurts (their wallet!) heh...heh. Some of THOSE responses can be pretty acerbic. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

Date: August 14, 2008 01:02PM

Many thanks for all your supportive and interesting replies.

Rawgosia - can't say I've noticed too many like that, but...yes could be that I'm less likely to notice that sort of thing AS I'm all-raw myself (actually fed up with saying '100%':-), ie 'too close to it'.

I do know what you mean. 100% raw vegans should never be smug. I know there are many cooked, meat-eaters out there who are 'better' in many areas of life, far kinder (on the 'meat thing' I'd just say their eyes haven't been opened!), and making more of a positive impact on the world, etc than I am.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 14, 2008 01:29PM

hi debbietook

well, it looks as if your confrontation made them change the naming of their products so this is a good thing

u learned something

they learned something

that's what life is anyways

a series of learning

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: August 15, 2008 09:30PM

Wow Debbie,

sorry about your experience, I don'tknow any raw companies in the UK, was it in the UK, that sell muesli with roasted hemp etc but sounds really irritating.

It sounds fraudulent if they are claiming to be raw without understanding even basics.

hugs

Date: August 15, 2008 11:39PM

Oh my gosh. Your letter to them was so low-key and not aggressive AT ALL. I wish I could figure out which company you're talking about but I don't really buy from any so am not familiar with their sites.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: August 18, 2008 04:43AM

Funny

Went to dinner tonight at LIVE - a raw food restaurant in Toronto - they also have some cooked vegan food, but are considered a RAW FOOD restaurant.

Was sitting outside on the patio - it was dark

Ordered a BIG salad - ate 2/3 of it..we were attacked by mosquitoes, went inside where I could see what I was eating...
there in my salad were a bunch of COOKED black beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I push them aside, call the server over and her replies as he walks away.."ya, they are cooked...sorry"

I have been 100% raw for 2 weeks now!!!!!!!!!!
100%
As some of you know this is HUGE for me, Ihave been at this for 3 years to no avail, now I finally feel free of cooked food and THIS??

I just wrote a letter to the place, hoping the owner gets it...

I am PISSED - I drive form out of the city to specifically go to LIVE, trusting them to serve me RAW food...

BULLSHIT!

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 18, 2008 04:09PM

I think that people are just so extremely scared of the diet, because for the last 10,000 years people have only focused on food. People are so fascinated with it because it was so hard to find for some times and the interests just grew and grew and it became this THING that people just worshiped. When the idea comes into play that only raw food, specifically fruit in my case and small percentages of other things, can nourish you entirely, in the best way, it scares people because they don't want to leave their food. People want to feel "safe" because all of the commercials and ads have scared society into thinking they need this vitamin and this fat and this mineral everyDAY or they will face disease, low blood pressure, HIGH blood pressure, arthritis, whatever whatever, which leads them more onto drugs and etc. Most of this world, America specifically, is controlled by fear. Until someone has tried this diet for a decent year or so, they have no say in what it does. And even if they had, THEY aren't YOU and only you will know if that diet - lifestyle - works.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: August 18, 2008 10:23PM

I got a reply to my letter to the owner!!
She apologized and offered a $25.00 certificate....

The letter was quite nasty I think I will post it if anyone wants!!

My table spent $136...I got a $25.00

umm.........

Better than nothing I guess...

Are all Raw Fooders cheap??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables