Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rubbing Food on Skin
Posted by: Duo ()
Date: August 17, 2008 08:55PM

If Bacteria and Candida feed on starch, is rubbing a banana or patting some apple juice on the skin, just welcoming an infection?..

Would cucumber or lemon be better choices.. if so, is it only plausible that these would be better choices internally also?.. meaning as long as one is in transition and is living with bacterial infections on the skin or candida conditions internally, would avoiding all aggravating foods: ie sugars and starch inside and out seem obvious?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubbing Food on Skin
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: August 17, 2008 10:56PM

I don't know why I got such a big chuckle out of this. I guess it's because it's written as though rubbing food over the body is just something everyone does, and you're just wondering which food is best. :-P

I think your question is a good one, however, for those who do put foods on the skin. I was just thinking earlier today that I need to find something natural to rub on my dog who has extremely dry skin. I've been giving her coconut oil and fish oil, but those aren't working all that great, yet.

I look forward to reading responses to your question, Duo.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 18, 2008 12:31AM

I would not worry about rubbing actual foods on your skin.....as long as they are not just sitting there a long time.....and that they are cleaned off the skin readily and thoroughly......especially in those nooks and crannies! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: August 18, 2008 01:17AM

Avocado is great for the skin. I like to rub in all my skin and let it sit for about 10 minutes before washing it off. It leaves my skin feeling soft.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2008 01:33AM

avo is high in copper, terrific for the skin. papaya skin is a good mask, rub on face, let dry, rub on face again, let dry, rinse off. cucumber is very soothing, black tea bags relieve tired eyes, grated potato reduces puffy eyes (rinse off as soon as you remove the potato as it will dry and leave black marks), oatmeal is soothing, softening and cleansing.

you never really leave any of those on the skin for long. oils like olive, coconut etc are alright as a moisturizer but most of that stuff is just a topical treatment and stays on the skin only long enough to do it's job. not long enough for bacteria to thrive in it or anything.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: August 18, 2008 03:51AM

you better watch out if you try rubbing coco-de-mer fruit all over yourself!!!

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 18, 2008 04:43AM

Shea butter works great for me and my allergic dog (o:

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 19, 2008 09:38PM

I have soaked in a bath with three cups of wheatgrass juice and that was so wonderful for the skin. I am sure you could rub it in your skin as well but soaking is the best with wheat grass. After 20 minutes I started to taste it in my taste buds for some reason I thought that was interesting. If I were more successful in growing the stuff I would soak in it more oftain smiling smiley
Pam

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 19, 2008 10:11PM

I love to rub papaya and mango skins on my face as a mask. Feels great!

Date: August 19, 2008 10:33PM

wow, that's interesting about the wg soak, i'm going to have to try that. when my little gets sicky i bandaid thin slices of garlic onto the bottoms of his feet (socks on overnight) and his breath gets garlicy. it's so funny for a 7 year old to have garlic breath, i laugh about it when he crawls into bed with me in the AM and breathes his stinky breath in my face!

Date: August 21, 2008 08:33AM

gypsy: teeheehee

well that makes sense to wash it off right away, im hoping water is enough though. I thought DrBronners was the ultimate answer, but I would rather not use 'soaps'. Wonder if regular lemon juice to cleanse would be too intense?

garlic on the feet coco, your son must think you hung the moon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2008 08:34AM by Duo.

Date: August 21, 2008 12:05PM

well, he loves bandaids you know else he'd never let me get away with it!

lemon is too harsh for skin cleansing unless you mean to take off a layer (knees, elbows). ground oats mixed with water into a paste is a great facial cleanser. i have a friend who says that she doesn't clean the parts of her skin that are exposed to the sun with any kind of cleanser, she thinks her natural skin oils protect her from sun damage. she just gets her intimate bits with the soap. usually plain water is fine for me but i do use castile sometimes and a baking soda paste now and then.

Date: August 23, 2008 04:52AM

I would honestly love to just dip in the ocean or a stream every now and then, and call it clean. I will get there one day. For now, the no shampoo only works for a half a week or so, then I must splash ACV or castile soapy water on it. Same with the face... funny that I used to use those systems you know: Clean.. then scrub, then tone, then moisturize, replenish, restore, spot treat. ahh.

Maybe one can absorb the benefits of fruits on the skin once the skin is free from releasing toxins and excess oil. I look forward to that day, when I focus on the benefits of absorbing versus drawing out and cleansing.

yes coco-- lemon juice yesterday stung like benzyol peroxide

Date: September 11, 2008 08:06AM

Update: smiling smiley
For the past week+ I've experimented with raw sauerkraut. Strange, but actually quite comparable to ACV as a toner. I did notice that tiny whiteheads would form and heal in a day's time. But I don't think I will continue, as I am unsure what this means: 1) something about the sauerkraut encourages quick healing and draws out toxins. 2) something about the sauerkraut encourages infection and breaking out

Anyway, cucumbers are next. Water and cuke juice. Still looking for an alternative to soap. coco--- I think your friend is right, and perhaps I need more sun.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 11, 2008 08:26PM

The best facial cleanser is a grain scrub just like coco described. I make mine with equal parts of oatmeal, wheat germ, and cornmeal. I also add some ground dried peppermint leaves. I haven't used soap on my face in two years, just my scrub.

Date: September 11, 2008 10:00PM

the cornmeal would be too harsh for my skin, those are pretty large granules.
with the cold season coming up i'll probably start oil cleansing again with an ACV rinse. it works well for me when my skin has a tendancy to get dry and flaky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables