Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Raw food & bodybuilding
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 23, 2006 07:33PM

Hello,

I just wanted to share my observations on the matter of raw food & bodybuilding. I know there's a book by Stephen Arlin on the topic but I haven't read it, just his interview which was quite encouraging on the matter.

Having been lifting weights for years now & having done standard bodybuilding diets many times (i.e. lots of lean meat, protein shakes, etc.), I was naturally VERY skeptical that muscle could be acheived by vegetables alone.

But I finally decided to try it and you know what, it's working! I've been able to work out harder and longer and with considerably less post-workout muscle soreness. I've replaced my usual designer whey protein shakes with dark green leafy vegetables and E3Live Blue-Green Algae shots. They've mitigated my days-after muscle soreness just like meat and protein shakes used to do.

I like to work out hard, to muscle failure, so adequate protein has always been essential for me. If I don't get adequate protein my body screams for it - and the green stuff seems to be meeting my needs beautifully!

It goes against any conventional bodybuilding wisdom, I'm pretty shocked and amazed by the fact that green salads alone can meet my hefty post-workout protein requirements.

It took me like, 2 months though, to finally let go of my protein shake security blanket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food & bodybuilding
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 23, 2006 09:06PM

You'd be surprised at how strong and muscular you can get without weights. I discovered Matt Furey's website and, while he's not a raw foodist, he demonstrates that you can be equally as strong and fitter without weights, which is how I'm approaching fitness right now.

Check out his site.

[www.mattfurey.com]

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 23, 2006 09:13PM

Ya' know though, gorilla's are HUGELY muscular and they don't eat meat. Aren't we simalar in structure to them? Not saying we're monkeys, but you know what I mean! Fruitarian1 is built well on fruit alone, so I think all those goofy basteges that say we HAVE to eat meat for muscle can stuff it...

Date: June 24, 2006 12:31AM

Don't waste your money on that Steve Arlin book, it's terrible and outdated...your better off jusdt just carry on doing what your doing...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2006 04:33AM

I think Storm's ebook about bodybuilding on raw is pretty cool. Not sure if it is what you are looking for. He's not trying to go into bulking competition or anything but looks great after 30 years raw. I think this is the url:

[www.thegardendiet.com]

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 24, 2006 05:55PM

Ya' know when you look at Storms family, they all look great! They all seem genuinly happy! I think that's awesome!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2006 06:40PM

Yes, they do! I got all of their eBooks and they have some great things to offer. Jinjee has gone back and forth on raw and then discovered birthing a baby was 1000 times easier when she was raw than part cooked and now switched to all raw. winking smiley

Very beautiful family and I love looking at their pictures. winking smiley

Date: June 24, 2006 10:13PM

Ahh yes, Storm's book. I like Storm and Jingee a lot as human beings but Storm still needs to learn a thing or two from Matt Furey about strength training. If you compare the two the most noticeable thing is that Storm is lacking any real definition for all the work that he does. Basically, he's just bulk. Matt Furey, on the other hand, who uses no weights has plenty of definition. So, why would you listen or follow someone that doesn't have what you're after? To me that's silly. If I were Storm I'd look and study what I was doing incorrectly so that I could make adjustments and get the body I was actually aiming for. That makes a lot more sense. However, make up your own mind.

On a different note, it's the same with Stephen Arlin. His book is outdated and a major sales pitch for the olives that nfl carries. He know weighs over 300 lbs and isn't in a position to advise anyone on how to bodybuild. He even states in his book that he and his brother have never been able to get any "true" definition. So, on this statement alone, would you listen to him? No, of course not.

[www.mattfurey.com]

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 25, 2006 05:16AM

Rawmark....I think your judgement of Storm is a little harsh because the differance between Storm and Matt Fury is that Matt Fury is a world champion fighter and trains accordingly and Storm isn't....a lot of different elements go into working out and getting results as you know Rawmark...mental attitude and approach goes a long way to getting the results you need....I have not read Storms book but my wife bought the DVD and for me it was a let down in terms of the training Storm did only because I was expecting a lot more info but having said that the dvd is basically just following him through what he does in a day and I don't think it was supposed to be an instruction manual on world class fitness.

As a former pro rugby player/sports man and by watching how he moves I don't think that storm was ever particularly gifted in sports or in his physique but the most important thing is that he gets out there and does his thing for which I have the utmost respect for him. I think he appeals to the raw beginner wanting to get into fitness for the first time, which is an incredible thing to achieve. The main thing is that you get out and be happy doing your chosen activity and if it's a world class physique you want then look at a world class athlete.

Not everyone is gonna be a Matt Furey as soon as they do a couple of chin ups

Date: June 25, 2006 12:53PM

Fr,

My criticism may have been a little harsh but the point that I was trying to make is that people that know little to nothing about strength training shouldn't produce books, manuals, or videos on the subject. I mean was this a means for Storm to follow in S. Arlin's footsteps and make money? I have a higher opinion of Storm and Jingee than I do NFL so I hope I'm wrong but, for me, when someone starts telling me how to get into shape they better have the body to back it up or it's all for naught. Again, this is me but I've spent a lot of money on the years on both good and bad info and I kinda feel this way at this point in my life so that's where I'm coming from.

Peace,

Marcos

Date: June 25, 2006 06:58PM

I know exactly where your coming from and I think that's why my wife bought the e-book and DVD because it was hyped as a get fit on the raw diet programme, when she told me she was buying it I couldn't wait to get it in the dvd but when it came I thought it was pretty unimpressive and lacked intensity but that's just my opinion as a sportsman, everyone says he looks great for his age but that means nothing to me, I've known people his age on cooked food look better. I think me and you are pretty much after the same thing in terms of physique, we both want that bit extra....some people are happy with a lot less.

regards

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2006 06:59PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: monson ()
Date: June 28, 2006 05:56AM

rawmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You'd be surprised at how strong and muscular you
> can get without weights. I discovered Matt Furey's
> website and, while he's not a raw foodist, he
> demonstrates that you can be equally as strong and
> fitter without weights, which is how I'm
> approaching fitness right now.
>
> Check out his site.
>
>
>
> Peace,

this is the first time i have ever seen anything positive about that guy.
he has quite the reputation for being a scumbag.

Date: June 28, 2006 06:32AM

according to a less than stellar review of furey's 'Combat Conditioning' in
Submission Fighting UK:
" Curiously enough, Furey uses the photograph of himself posing in front of the waterfall to promote his book. He looks in great shape - but the photo was taken when he was still an avid weight trainer, long before he'd met Karl Gotch and been inspired to write Combat Conditioning. On the actual CC book cover, Furey appears a lot fatter after having trained in Combat Conditioning."

and on the subject of karl gotch, here's a letter from him reguarding matt furey:
[www.bullshido.net]

and
[scientificwrestling.blogspot.com]

i can't think of any person in the world of submission fighting/mma that is hated more (and so deserving of it) than that man.

Date: June 28, 2006 12:52PM

Yeah he's certainly upset a lot of people with his bullishness from what I understand, from what people say he's turned into some kind of thug and is giving the sport a bad image. There's much better people out there to choose as role models.

Date: June 28, 2006 01:01PM

I guess you didn't read the whole thread. Check this out:

This was posted by a person named featherweight and he says it best.

I can't really pin down what it is everyone hates about furey. I mean, this is america, so our system is based on making money, not giving @#$%& away. Furey is very successful not because he is a scheister with clever marketing skills but because his products work, and his customers, who buy one of his products, buy several others. Is he a character? yes. Is he an expert at marketing? Yes. But he is also a nice guy. He built a school in china for impoverished kids out of his own pocket. He helps people for free every day. He trained me for nine months without charging me a dime. Does he charge top dollar for his instruction and for his products? Yes, but people are willing to pay it. SO who are we criticizing? The seller who charges fifty bucks a video, or the people who buy it and say it's good? Of those of you who criticize furey, or his knowledge or whatever, have you bought or even seen any of his tapes?

From what I heard about Karl Gotch who i never met, he sounds like a crusty old man who had less and less nice things to say to matt and his students throughout their acquaintance. What i read in the letter is not suprising but it is also true that Karl does not criticize Matt's material, just the fact that he's making money. And again, crusty old man. Maybe Karl should realize he could be making a lot of money with his knowledge rather than bitching out others.

ALso, Someone complained that matt is recycling a bunch of old exercises and marketing them successfully. Well you know what? you can do that too! It's a great world we live in! YOU can gather a bunch of old information into a book , and SELL it, and make MONEY!

and this:

just because Matt learned the exercises and some wrestling tips from Gotch doesn't mean Gotch or anyone owns the material which is thousands of years old. Matt's wrestling material is an amalgam of what he's learned from mongolian wrestling, shuai jiao, freestyle, and the catch stuff from gotch. Put together this forms his personal style plus whatever else he's learned since. What is he lying about? Are you saying his techs don't work? HIs program? At what point does a person have or not have license to sell their knowledge to others? All knowledge comes from somewhere, some people are better gatherers of information than others, and have information that's worth money to others. If Gotch is upset that Furey is selling his program, why doesn't he sue him? Because he doesn't own the exercises. No one does. Gotch is as free to sell his program just as much as furey or more. Surely gotch could have sold a program through wrestling and martial arts magazines? In all the time he was in japan, couldn't he have sold a program for the japanese wrestling magazines? He should still do it now! Run ads in japanese wrestling and martial arts mags for his fitness programs and wrestling system.

Peace,

Marcos

Date: June 28, 2006 06:08PM

there is nothing wrong with making money. the problem lies in the fact that the man charges astronomical rates for information one could find for free on the internet.

from his primate strength, to his jedi mind tricks, to his kung fu bedroom master nonsense, the man comes off as a snake oil salesman.

just take a look at his marketing page where he shows off his sweet hummer and fancy chinese pajamas that were financed by people who don't know any better.

if people buy his products and feel that they are a good value, good for them. but it bothers me that people are supporting this clown when they could get better information (at a reasonable price) from someone like bas rutten or ross enamait.

Date: June 29, 2006 12:18AM

monson,

if you believe this then provide us with links. If not, then leave it alone. I feel what you're saying but we live in a free enterprise world. Matt Furey is doing nothing wrong. I didn't join his inner circle because I didn't feel I should have to pay to belong to a forum. So, where's the info. Find me websites that show hindu squats and hindu pushups. Find us info that is more reasonable and just as effective. Basically, put up or shut up.

So that you don't think I'm being to harsh with my challenge I want you to know that I really hope you do post some other links. I'm always looking for more info on building my body and free or affordable is most welcome.

Peace,

Marcos

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 29, 2006 12:51AM

Hindu Push Up:
[www.bronzebowpublishing.com]

Hindu Squat:
[www.bronzebowpublishing.com]

I got those from following links on wikipedia from this page:
[en.wikipedia.org]

I don't think Matt Furey is doing anything wrong, if he's a good motorvator (which is a trate of many conmen), then the people he is teaching are probably getting a lot more than just the information on how to this stuff. I'm not pro or anti Furey, but I probably wouldn't pay to be taught by him.

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: June 29, 2006 02:26AM

You'll find out more of what people think of him there too.

But hey who cares...if people choose to spend their money on his stuff then that's their choice wherever good or bad.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 29, 2006 02:58AM

Am I missing something? I looked at that guy's website and I don't think he looks good at all. ??? I far prefer the body of The Fruitarian One, for example. I guess it might have something to do with the diet?

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: June 29, 2006 03:50PM

i would highly suggest checking out ross enamait at [www.rosstraining.com] and [rossboxing.com].
i have his 'infinite intensity' which is geared more towards the combat sports. the book is split between weights, bodyweight exercises, and isometrics, with the goal of increasing strength, as well as conditioning.

he has a new book out, 'never gymless', which as i understand it, is completely based on bodyweight exercises. based on the book i have, and ross' amazing reputation, i'm sure his new book will not disappoint. ross posts on the bulletin board on his site and he's known for answering email, so if you have any questions you could ask him directly.

and i think he looks more like someone i'd want to take fitness advice from.

my apologies is i came off too aggressively before...i just despise matt furey.

Date: June 29, 2006 05:44PM

Thanks Raw Gosia...the checks in the post!!!!

One thing you gotta be careful of if you wanna start picking people to follow is that you have to know there personal life....you need to know how these guys are living...are they taking supplements, fat burners (which a lot of people in the fitness industry do) or anything like that are they fit in mind as well as health....

For me it's important to set my own standards because I know myself, I know what I eat, I know the quality of my mental state.

Plus it's more fun blazing your own trail!!!!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 29, 2006 06:05PM

"It is bad when one thing becomes two. One should not look for anything else in the Way of the Samurai. It is the same for anything that is called a Way. If one understands things in this manner, he should be able to hear about all ways and be more and more in accord with his own."

Date: June 30, 2006 01:42PM

Just thought I'd throw this in for fun...

Here's some updates...

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 03:16PM

Ok those of you who eat just fruits or salads to build muscle - I don't know how the heck you do it. To me it's just not possible that way, I tried it the other day. I ate peppers and cucumbers and mixed salad and still craved protein - major beef fantasies. Then I got some blue-green algae at the health food store and that worked, my muscles became less sore and the beef visions disappeared.

Dark green leafy vegetables mostly work, I guess, but still, without the algae I don't think I could do it. Maybe if I was 100% raw but I'm like 80-90%, that prob makes a big difference.

I've tried wheatgrass shots too but so far a double shot of E3Live Blue-Green Algae is working the best.

Any other ideas?

Date: June 30, 2006 08:47PM

I personaly don't eat to build muscle....I just get out there and do what I enjoy doing which is working out and pushing my limits!!!!

I'm proud to say that I'm in the shape I'm in because I'm an active strict Fruitarian and for no other reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2006 08:52PM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: July 02, 2006 02:26AM

Hey Monson,

Thanks for the link. I ordered Ross's book on building muscle without weight. I'm always looking to add to my repertoire. I also found another link, through his forum, on how to do a handstand correctly. I even found some great instruction on working out with gymnast rings.

Thanks again,

Marcos

Posted by: judes ()
Date: July 02, 2006 04:31AM

sunshine79
maybe you should have soy vissions. soy is like 5
times better for you than beef as far as protien goes.
and as far as fat goes soy is 10 hundred million zillion
times better.
Ok thats not a real compasison because you would have to
eat more than 10 hundred million zillion times as much beef
or more to get the benefits of some edemame. or soy sauce.

they are not raw as far as i know, but better than a beef
nightmare.

beef is bad >:-P

Date: July 05, 2006 04:08PM

rawmark,
do you only do bodyweight exercises? could you please explain your reasoning for bodyweight only?
i'm curious.
and let me know what you think of ross' new book. i'm thinking of picking it up as well.
thanks.

------------------------------------------

fruitarian one,
nice work.

Date: July 06, 2006 02:25PM

monson,

I'm getting more and more into bodyweight only exercises. However, I do have russian kettlebells, and clubbells that I work with occassionally. I had been using them for awhile before I started reading more and more on bodyweights.

As for Ross' book, it looks really good. He has lots of pictures and this helps. He also has sample routines for you to test, and modify, according to what works for you. I was really impressed by how quickly I received it. I think it came in three days.

Peace,

Marcos

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables