Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nursing mothers and fasting/feasting for Duo...
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 21, 2008 02:09PM

I was recently asked to start a thread pertaining to breastfeeding and detoxing, so I've enclosed my file preview on Breastfeeding & Toxins below...

…File Preview…
• As for breastfeeding, your child will probably get more toxins from you when you are toxic and not cleansing then when you are cleansing. If your baby develops a rash while breastfeeding and you are eating cooked food, you could always go on a cleanse and see what happens. Likewise, if you are eating 100% raw and your baby develops a rash while breastfeeding, you could then add some cooked food back into your diet and judge for yourself which is best.
• The way that I look at breastfeeding is that your child will probably get more toxins from you when you are toxic and not cleansing then when you are cleansing.
• …my children received MORE toxins from me when I was toxic and not cleansing then when I was cleansing.
• …go through the detox....even though your baby will share any detox symptoms, the benefits outweigh the negatives.
• I have fasted several times while nursing. My children never suffered any ill effects. In fact I am still nursing my 19 month old and am preparing for a fast this week.
• I was about 85-90% raw while nursing my daughter and had absolutely no problems. The only times I did tend to have any set-backs was when I incorporated too many COOKED foods in a day! I would have a VERY small portion of cooked food every evening for supper with a large portion of raw foods so as to not detox quickly.
• I went on a spontaneous fast this year - response to eating some junk I got a high fever for 6 days, I continued to b/f, wasn't really feeling up to thinking about it & she wasn't ready to wean. She got cold symptoms just after my fever subsided, nothing bad.
• I recently did a 14 day cleanse, which felt amazingly and did not (supposedly) affect him. This is the Jubb's 14 day nutritional fast, which is designed also for pregnant women because all the toxins are excreted through the bowels, before they have a chance to go into the blood. It uses the product Oxy-mag which is a laxative that does not go throught the blood (and therefore breast milk) but instead only works on the colon.
• As the research unfolds for preparing women for pregnancy by removing the 14 major toxins in breast milk, the initial results seem more than extraordinary. The average woman, whether she has been vegan for 15 years or on live foods for 6 years, tests positive for 12-14 toxins in her liver, breast, and brain. After one week on our 10-day detoxification program while taking 15 drops 4 times a day of NCD, the average decrease in toxins was to 0 to 2 toxins in the liver, breast, and brain with no detoxification symptoms. One person, who did not take the NCD, had a reduction of only one toxin in the liver, breast, and brain. So far 5 people, which is 100% of those tested with the synergy of our 10-day detoxification & NCD, have gone from 12-14 toxins to 0-2 toxins after only one week.
…End of File Preview…

Peace and Love.........John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nursing mothers and fasting/feasting for Duo...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2008 04:52PM

what's this NCD?

Posted by: blue_butterfly ()
Date: August 21, 2008 06:44PM

I'd like to know more about this 10-day detox program along with the NCD...what all does it entail and how do I go about getting it?

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: August 22, 2008 05:24AM

short for Natural Cellular Defense. Have no personal experiences with it, but here is some info

[www.waiora.com]

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: August 23, 2008 04:43AM

Thank you John.

I hope to see this thread evolve. Maybe this subject is similar to the raw children threads, in that it is almost a theoretical issue.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: August 24, 2008 04:09AM

So I guess it should be ok to do a 10 day Master Cleanse even though I am nursing a 1 month old?

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:52PM

Hi Jamielor,

I sure hope that you are kidding or just pulling my leg. The Master Cleanser is not something a nursing mother should do. As a nursing mother, I am sure you know that nursing mothers need about 30 extra grams of protein a day, which is easy to do with a lot of vegetable juices, but impossible to do with just the lemonade fast. Nursing mothers also need an extra 500 calories a day, which is also easy to do with vegetable juices provided you are using carrots as your base, but very hard to do if you are using cucumber and celery as your base. Nursing mothers need to make sure that they get those extra 500 calories and 30 grams of protein!

Hi coco and cocao_nibs,

Yes, NCD is short for Natural Cellular Defense.

Hi, blue_butterfly

Dr. Gabriel Cousens’ 10-day detox program along with the NCD is basically a Juice Fast with NCD. However, it is my belief that one would actually do much better drinking twice the amount of juice that Cousens’ protocol calls for. That’s why I call my Juice Fasting protocol a Juice Feast!

Peace and Love........John

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: August 24, 2008 02:48PM

John - what is your Juice fasting protocol?

Date: September 18, 2008 01:40AM

Beginning my feast Monday, September 22, 2008. I'd love to share thoughts or whatever with other nursing mothers if anyone is interested in a Juice Feast at this time.

Here is my before photo:

Not sure how long I will do this... a week? 92 days smiling smiley

Duo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2008 01:40AM by Duo.

Posted by: katra ()
Date: September 18, 2008 03:26AM

I want to juice feast with you, Duo! I am currently nursing an 8 month old and have been seriously contemplating juice feasting for some time.

Date: September 18, 2008 07:15AM

Started a new thread in the Raw Diary- Personal Experience place, so we can continue over there, until specific questions or topics for discussion come up.

Until Monday....

Love Duo

Posted by: karmele ()
Date: September 18, 2008 12:07PM

Hi

I am still starting out on this but it is my belief that the body (ours and our children's) can perfectly well cope with some amount of toxins. I do realize there is a lot of sick people in the world at the moment but there is a lot of people that eat a reasonably healthy SAD diet (full of toxins) and live to 90 years of age (without much help from modern medicine). I am not trying to debunk the raw-foodist theory of toxins in the body, etc, and I understand that that is one of the main reasons why we all (including me) go on to this type of healthy diet, but at the same time I do think none of us should became obsessed with toxins, certainly not obsessed enough to go on a fast while one is breastfeeding. It has not yet been proven by any researches how or in what way you could harm yourself and/or the baby, and, although I do not agree with fasting either, there will be plenty of time for de-toxiing when you stop breastfeeding! Babies have been taking milk from mothers on a SAD diet for so long, and none of them have been proven to be exceptionally harmed byt all of this toxins, so I think your baby can very well cope with the MANY MANY MANY less toxins that you might be passing on to him compared with the toxins that most babies get into themselves every day!

I am sorry if this is not a popular opinion around here, it is only my personal opinion but I think that this is taking things to the extreme a bit and totally agree with John Rose.

As i said, only my opinion.

Date: September 18, 2008 12:48PM

Sorry, scrape that "I agree with John Rose", I was reading and answering in a hurry smiling smiley

Date: September 18, 2008 04:38PM

Karmele, your opinion is one of three that I have toyed with for some time.

1. Don't detoxify anything that was built up from before my son was born
2. Detoxify very slowly so as not to potentially overwhelm either of our systems
3. Monitor a more rapid transition closely and add dense foods as necessary

With all apparent pros and cons assessed, I have settled whole heartedly on a juice feast.

You mentioned FASTing several times. Though FEASTing is a mere E of a different word, it is quite a different way. There is no restriction, or hunger. Perhaps you misunderstood. I agree and would not attempt to fast while nursing.

Date: September 18, 2008 05:33PM

i personally would not fast or feast during pregnancy or nursing. i just wouldn't take that chance. better to eat a healthy diet and hold on to whatever toxins i am storing in my liver until there is no risk of passing it on to the baby i think. i mean, i wouldn't drink coffee while i am nursing her and that is less harmful than filling her up with my stored toxins. i can wait, i think she's worth it.

Date: September 18, 2008 09:16PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i personally would not fast or feast during
> pregnancy or nursing.

I agree with this.

> hold on
> to whatever toxins i am storing in my liver until
> there is no risk of passing it on to the baby i
> think.

In my very humble opinion a lot of people (sorry, Coco, not trying to single you out here) make a bit too much about the whole toxins theory. Just my opinion.

Date: September 19, 2008 01:21AM

no, i totally do agree. there is very little need for "detoxing" unless one is ill and it will be helpful. the liver is a powerful detoxifying organ and can more than adequately handle the job for a lifetime. that does mean though that toxins are safely locked away in the liver and can be released during fasting. since it's perfectly fine to have it stored in the liver, it doesn't circulate in the blood, there is no reason to be in a such a hurry to clear it out. it is worth it to wait until one is not nursing a baby i think. our grown up toxic load is too much for such a small body to handle and we are surely passing it along when doing a fast or juice fast which is very cleansing, there is no doubt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables