Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Feed a Cold?
Posted by: Misery's Fence ()
Date: August 25, 2008 06:04PM

I have a terrible head cold, and absolutely nothing raw (or cooked, for that matter) appeals to me. What do you all eat when you're congested/coughing/etc.?

I've been forcing raw lemonade w/ginger and herbal tea, and a few bites of extremely spicy homemade gazpacho w/lots of garlic and chiles. I'm also taking 3 grams of vitamin C a day, plus enough zinc to kill an elephant. I have a fridge full of lovely strawberries, raspberries, grapes, blackberries, and salad, but the thought of eating them is so unappealing.

My tummy gets upset from drainage if I don't eat a little something. But 'I can't breathe' = 'I can't taste anything' so nothing sounds appealing. I usually tend to crave whatever my body needs, but not this time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Miz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feed a Cold?
Posted by: Duo ()
Date: August 25, 2008 06:07PM

I wonder if following your instinct to not eat anything would help you?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 25, 2008 06:10PM

I think the saying goes: "if you feed a cold, you'll starve a fever". Which means, if you eat when you get a cold, you may end up with the flu.

Posted by: Misery's Fence ()
Date: August 25, 2008 06:22PM

Thanks for your input! :-)

I do have a combination of cold symptoms (congestion, coughing, sore throat) and flu symptoms (fever, chills, headache, dizziness). I guess I have it in my head that there is some magical food that I should be eating to feel better, but nothing sounds good straight from the fridge (with chills, I'm cold enough as it is). I set a bowl of gazpacho out to warm up to room temp, so maybe I'll feel up to that later. Right now the only thing that sounds remotely good is hot tea, and I suppose I do need to keep hydrated. I just bought a case of yummy raw kombucha, but I can't stomach drinking anything cold right now.

Miz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 06:23PM by Misery's Fence.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:18AM

I think you should Starve a Cold, and also Starve a Fever. No need
to interfere when the Body is Healing either way. The conditions are
right for a short Water Fast.....WY

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 26, 2008 12:36PM

Hi Suzy,

It was Hippocrates who said, “If you feed a fever, you’ll have to starve a cold.” Since we humans have been on the wrong path for so long, this has been misquoted as feed a fever, starve a cold. Sadly, man is the only creature who eats when we he gets sick. Every other animal in nature knows what to do when they get sick…they stop eating. Unfortunately, water fasting is not an option for most people today, especially since they are so ignorant that they actually fear the idea of not eating.

So, the best thing for you to do is a Juice Fast or a Juice Feast as I prefer to call it. My website is under construction, but one of my best students has a website and all the information you need is available for free. David’s website is [www.juicefeasting.com]. David has modified my protocol slightly, but the one thing that I have learned from coaching thousands of people is that you can actually do a Juice Fast/Feast incorrectly and still get better results than if you keep eating when Nature is telling you to stop.

Here are a few motivating quotes that might help…

“Man is the only animal that eats when sick. Continuos eating when uncomfortable, in fever or in pain, builds chronic disease. It is one of the most rigidly enforced laws of the wild to “never eat when sick.” -Herbert Shelton, “FFROL” p. 203

"Fasting cures disease, dries up bodily humors, puts demons to flight, gets rid of impure thoughts, makes the mind cleared, the heart purer, and the body sanctified, and raises man to the throne of God." -Athenaeus, Greek physician

"The word for fasting literally means "to cover the mouth." Sin came into this world through our mouths--eating." -Bishop Carlton D. Pearson

Peace and Love………John

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: August 26, 2008 10:51PM

I don't know if you should eat or not, but I suggest making a tea with simply boiled fresh ginger slices. It feels SO good!

Posted by: Choco ()
Date: August 27, 2008 06:41AM

Miz,

If your instinct due to past experience is to eat something even though you can't taste anything or have much of an appetite, you may want to consider the wisdom of yourself and go with that. For myself, when I have been very ill with the flu or serious cold and I felt hungry,I found drinking miso soup and vegetable broth very healing. I also like eating raw applesauce when I am sick which I find soothing to my system and easily tolerated. Miso soup though not "raw" is a live food, and vegetable broth is a compromise I am willing to make when I am ill for the healing benefits it provides.

In regards to the soups, I have noticed for myself that hot liquids help move cold and flu viruses out of my system much more quickly than raw liquids. I also drink lots and lots of spicy ginger tea with lemon and sweetened with agave or stevia to open my lungs and sooth my raw throat.

And just an fyi.. when I am very sick I also supplement with herbals. I take lots of elderberry extract syrup from the very first moment I feel sick till the end of the illness. Elderberry extract is an *amazing* anti-flu viral fighter and you can also find it in tea bag form which is the original way I used to take it. Elderberry is also an expectorant, and it will pull out all the green/yellow gunky mucus and phlegm stuck inside your lungs so you can cough it up, spit it out, and breathe more fully. I also take 30 mgs of zinc lozenges 3-4x a day, 1000 mgs of vitamin C, an organic herbal throat spray which I spray directly onto my tonsils and throat, and oil of oregano capsules which are also an amzingly potent natural viral and infection fighter.

Feel better.

PEACE.
Choco

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables