Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I got some bad news from my doctor yesterday
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 05, 2006 12:54PM

I got some bad news from my doctor yesterday. She's sending me for blood tests but said I may need an operation on the nodule of my thyroid. She said these things tend to enlarge over time. I'm not buying it though.

I have been eating alot of spinach and brocolli sprouts lately, and have felt something going on on my thyroid, but I have had this problem for many years. I think it could have started from when I had a bit of an eating disorder as a teenager. It wasn't that bad though, I wasn't hospitalised. I had a wake up call, my dog died, and I decided I could do irreversible damage, plus my mother wasn't gonna give me any emothinal reaction much, or something like this. Anyway that's another story and irrelevant I guess.

After I got the news, I sort of dismissed it. i thought of calling people for support but thought I would wait until after the test results. I didn't want to bother or burden people. But I woke up depressed this morning.

I guess I'll have to find information on what not to eat, and what to eat etc. If anyone has any leads I'd be grateful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I got some bad news from my doctor yesterday
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 05, 2006 02:24PM

There definitely are foods that affect the thyroid; however, I think you'll have to wait for the blood tests to find out what your actual thyroid problem is.

In the meantime you could try a medical website to read about thyroid-related symptoms, and see if yours sound similar to a specific diagnosis.

Def get those blood tests though - you can always decline conventional treatment if you like but it certainly helps to know what's going on!

Good luck!

Date: July 05, 2006 02:32PM

thanks

Posted by: sweterson ()
Date: July 05, 2006 02:44PM

So sorry Rosemary, but remember there are foods that HUGELY affect the thyroid in a negative manner. You mentioned 2 of them, broccoli and spinach. Also cabbage, cauliflower, soy, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts, collards, kale. Avoid them like the plague, as they will really mess you up and contribute to any thyroid issues. Good luck Rosemary.

Date: July 05, 2006 02:57PM

oh thanks. i didn't realise walnuts were ant-thyroid. and i love saurkraut !

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: July 05, 2006 04:02PM

Hi Rosemary,
My partner had bad thyroid test results (High THS- thyroid stimulating hormone). At the time she was eating mostly or all cruciferous vegetables- cabbage, broccoli, kale, cauliflower. At that time, we discovered in a mainstream book giving data about mineral contents of foods, that cruciferous veggies contain a substance that inhibits the absorption of iodine, which would lead to a high THS level.

Her THS level returned to normal after a couple of weeks of restriction goitergenic (causes goiters on the thyroid) veggies.

We also know some one who did develop a goiter from juicing a lot of broccoli.

Goitergenic veggies include what Sweterson mentions, and I think also parsley and spinach.

If your problem is a high THS level from too much goitergenic veggies, know that other people have had they same problem and reversed it through diet. Avoid these foods for awhile and get retested. When your THS level returns to normal, add some of the foods back. Just don't eat them at every meal.

Sometimes people develop a high THS level because there food was grown far from the coast, where the soil, and therefore cops grown there, lack iodine. You could alos check your food source, though this is less of a problem in developed countries that import food from coastal ares.
Good luck,
Chickory

Date: July 05, 2006 04:30PM

thanks. yes i think my high greens diet has made things worse. and yes i have been rotating my greens. i thought that parsley was ok though? i need to find more non goitregen greens.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: July 05, 2006 08:31PM

I have hypothyroidism. Now I forgot, a high TSH level means hypothyroid, right?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 06, 2006 07:46AM

yes, hypo = designated a decreased activity level. if your iodine level goes down your thyroid metabolsm is decresed. i knew a few few people who lived through the great depression and the used to put drops of iodine on there skin to let it absorb into the blood steam to make sure the did not sick from lack of iodine. when the color disappeared you body had absorbed the iodine and you were good for a few weeks.

Posted by: geneticpromise ()
Date: July 06, 2006 03:16PM

Hi, Rosemary -

I had thyroid problems a couple of years ago, from eating large amounts of goitergenetic foods , like those mentioend here - esp. cabbage. I seriously reduced the amount, and within three weeks, my TSH had gone from over 10 to completely mid-range normal. So consider t=doing that type of thing and see how it goes.

Yes, all those things listed a goitergenetic, including all cruciferous, peanuts, etc. etc. There's a vomitously long list, but especially consider just reducing or eliminating for a bit to see what happens. Paresley is goitergenic, collards, too. If you google/yahoo goigergeneic foods, visit lots of different sites, you'll be able to put together a comprehensive list. Then be sure never to JUICE any othese things (it concentrates it).... I used to have the list, but I tossed it once my TSHw was normal and I found a decent balance of eating all these things.

In the meantime, have you looked into adding a smidge of kep for added iodine? Not sure what you feel about this.

Good luck and take care!

Geneticpromise

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: July 06, 2006 09:00PM

i went to my doc today and she said that i don't have a problem with my thyroid YET but my blood results show that it could be possible if i don't increase my intake of iodine. a good source of iodine is seaweeds/kelps etc

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 07, 2006 04:06AM

Dear Rosemary,

I think everyone's wishing the best for you and hoping the results from your tests come out good! Must be kind of hard waiting to see what's up!

Just wanted you to know we're thinking great healthy thoughts for you.

Peace and happiness,

-Ally

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: July 07, 2006 04:29PM

I think a high greens diet is wonderful and fantastic, but we need to have variety. Our forager asncestors had access to over a hundred different kinds of plants. The development of agriculture has a tendency towards just a few kinds of crops, a tendency increased by modern economics.
Chickory

Date: July 12, 2006 02:10PM

Many thanks for all your advice and kindness.
I will get my blood test results tomorrow. I don't know if THS levels were tested though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables