Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

alcohol
Posted by: juicegirl ()
Date: July 12, 2006 06:59AM

i AM NEW TO A RAW FOOD DIET. I need some input about alcohol. Which alcohols, if any, are considered raw? I have lways enjoyed a beer at a cookout and champagne at weddings. I have weddins coming up and I wonder if i m able to toast with the rest of the crowd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alcohol
Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: July 12, 2006 07:26AM

Hi juicegirl,
As far as I know wine is raw and I believe champane would be too.

Beer that you get in bottles and cans is pasturized although I do remember hearing that kegs of beer like they have on tap at the bar is raw. I'm not positive if its really raw though.

All hard liquor and spirits would be cooked and well I also have found they can be the most harmful too.

If your looking for the healthiest way to feel a little typsy, lol!! I would say wine(I think red is the best) would be the healthiest option followed by champane.

Good luck smiling smiley I hope this helps you out smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 12, 2006 09:51AM

Opinion:

-Raw is not just 'uncooked'...but is also the most vital food available. A good test of how good a food / beverage is for you is to project out in your mind and determine how comfortable YOU would be....just eating / drinking that ONE food for many days or weeks.

-Alcohol is a nervous system depressant....and probably not very sustaining or vital for the long haul! smiling smiley However, if YOU feel that drinking it will improve your life....make you healthier and more vital....then I encourage you to do so!

-David Mason

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: July 12, 2006 11:31AM

thats true about it being harmful still, though a little here and then when your starting going raw won't be too bad.

When I was doing this the first time I would still drink beer sometimes and that day I would always have a small beet carrot cucumber juice and a carrot spinach to really help flush out the toxins so as to help the organs better handle it and then of course a day or so later would drink more beet as well. Dandilion greens are really good for helping to cleanse the liver too.

Good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 12, 2006 04:13PM

it`s far better to eat healthy vegan cooked foods than drink alcohol-it kills brain cells to say the least.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: July 12, 2006 04:48PM

And keep in mind that most of the grapes for wine are heavily sprayed. Also, the new winery techniques imply an oxygenation process to speed up the maturing process of the wine, and the use of wood chips to increase the tannin content. And both of those are suspected in increasing the methanol content of the wine, and methanol in excess can be toxic and make you blind on the long term...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: July 12, 2006 05:24PM

Hi,

some wines (although not all) are raw, I'm not sure which ones as I don't drink wine. My fav. raw alchol is cider, although not all ciders are raw (some use concentrate apple juice), but the tradisional cider making process requires cider to be raw as it's fermented using wild yeast, any heating or washing would kill the yeast.

ALL beers are cooked, regardless of bottle/can/keg, the beer making process requires that the grains are boil (sparged) to convert the starches into sugars. All hard alcohol is cooked, if nothing else the distillation process requires heat. However, I have heard of a really old drink, a pre-beer drink, that was made using raw grains, if I can find a recipe for it I'll try and make some.

There have been several cultures that have used alcohol as a main component of there diet, there is a lot more to it than getting drunk. Beer is really like bread, but it last much much longer. Beer is so a good source of hydration (if you are drinking beer regularly - otherwise it's not), and is useful when clean drinking water isn't avaliable. Several cultures have kept slaves on nothing but a beer like drink. It provides nutrients and energy, keeps them happy, and drunk slaves don't run off in the night.

Home made beer is probably the most healthy, I find it quite sad how unhealth modern beer is. A clear beer is a beer with all the goodness taken out!

Drink on my friends!

Ian.

Date: July 12, 2006 05:32PM

Ian.." beer is a good source of hydration"? Could you explain please?
I thought beer dehydrated.

Posted by: rawblue ()
Date: July 12, 2006 05:57PM

The raw food diet has definately decreased my enjoyment of alchohol.

The last glass of red wine I had--I go no buzz at all---but was super fuzzy headed the next day.

I'll probably repeat the experiment at some point, but if I don't get any fun definately alchohol will be out for me in the future! Sigh..........

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: July 12, 2006 06:54PM

Hi Vegangoddess,

normally alcohol will suspress the bodies ability to manufactor Anti-Diuretic Hormone (ADH), which is chemical messenger which tell the kidneys to absorb water. However, if you drink regularly, your body will compensate for the low levels of ADH and make more, this allows the body to absorb water when drinking alcoholic drinks, or more importantly, absorb the water contained in alcoholic drinks.

But for people who are occational drinkers, alcohol will have a dehydrating effect.

I don't really drink that often these days, so I've got to be careful when I do, otherwise I'll end up getting dehydrated and hung over. I notice that when I drink for several days in a row, the first couple I endup with a hangover, then after that I can drink as much as I like without and serious degragation, physically or mentally, the next day.

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: July 12, 2006 11:30PM

I appreciate all of your input. Drinking isn't really my concern, I simply wanted one drink at each wedding to share in the festivities. Though I am still debating if the alcohol is worth it in the long run.

Date: July 13, 2006 12:33AM

thanks Ian! smiling smiley

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 13, 2006 12:52AM

If you do not want alcohol, you can always have juice, and still toast with everyone.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: darkw00ds ()
Date: July 13, 2006 03:36AM

When I am raw I get drunk quicker, thus less drinks. Dunno, somthing I go through.

Date: July 14, 2006 02:12PM

I thank all of you for your time and input. I am still contemplating the info bout alcohol killing brain cells, this onyl occurs in an excess, not drink here and there. But I do thank all of you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables