Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

orthostatic hypertensive response
Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: August 09, 2006 06:26AM

Hello, I have been experiencing dizzyness after standing up. Usually this is something that occassionally happens, but latley it has been happening everytime I stand up. What has changed latley is that it is very hot out, and I have been exercising more. I suspect my electrolytes are off some how, but I am a bit afraid to mess around with them. This ratio of sodium to potassium is a bit lost on me. I also have been more tired than I think I ougt to be, considering how healthy I eat and I exercise for about an hour and a half 5 days a week. My blood preassure has always been extremly low, even as a youngster. I wonder if eating this way has lowered it even more. I have heard that if your blood preassure is too low you could feel excessivly tired. Also, I am not 100% raw, it teeters between probably 60-70%. Any hints would be very helpful!!
Thanks
Katie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: orthostatic hypertensive response
Date: August 09, 2006 06:46PM

how's U'r body weight? i mean r U underweight or not?
&
r U drinking enough water?
i had similar experiences a year ago or so, though
i was then totally raw for several years already,
also VERY underweitht because of it,
aslo my blood pressure is always at the lower end of healthy level
&
r U getting enough rest/sleep?
yesssss, it is a ballancing act - figuring out what works for our own body/system, that is soooo different from any other...
good luck
LOVE & BLESSINGS,Basia

Date: August 10, 2006 12:28AM

also, in my case, people on this board called it vertigo,
where did U get the fancy name/terminology for what happes to U?

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Date: August 15, 2006 03:55AM

Hi! Thanks for writing, I'm not underweight. I just got my body fat percentage tested and they said it was "optimal." The water thing makes sense doesn't it? I will try to drink more water. I do get "enough" sleep...TONS of it! I sleep 8 or 9 hours a night almost every night. It seems like too much actually, I just wish I felt strong and energetic and not sleepy and dizzy. Oh! I heard of that name in a womens health magazine, they used it to describe what happens when you stand up quickly and get dizzy. I just can't find too much more info about it, even on the all knowing google. All things considered this isn't so bad of a health problem, I know. I am just willing to do a lot for optimal health and I DO work really hard on my health and I feel like for all that, that I should feel excellent you know? Thanks for the good wishes,
Katie

Date: August 15, 2006 05:10AM

weeeeell....check the below out, please....& tell me what U think...
The Ear and Balance Center:
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

What is vertigo?
Vertigo represents a sensation of movement, typically spinning and sometimes rocking. It is almost always accompanied by a sensation of nausea. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is the most common cause of vertigo originating from the inner ear. Its name describes it well. Benign means there is no cancer or worrisome cause of the symptoms. Paroxysmal means the dizziness starts abruptly and is very brief. Positional means that it is triggered by changes in head position. Vertigo means the sensation of spinning. It is a common disorder that fortunately is easily treated.
What are the symptoms of BPPV?
BPPV is characterized by recurrent attacks of spinning lasting for seconds, and triggered by rapid head movement. For example, looking up rapidly, rolling over in bed, or bending over. There are usually no associated symptoms of hearing loss or other problems.

What causes BPPV?
BPPV is caused by microscopic debris accumulating within a part of the balance portion of the inner ear, referred to as the posterior semicircular canal. Debris within this canal causes it to malfunction and leads to the sensation of vertigo with changes in head position. When the patient steadies him/herself the debris settles and the vertigo stops. However, a recurrent rapid movement will cause this canal again to be stimulated by the debris and a sensation of vertigo will return.

What causes the debris to accumulate?
Nobody knows what causes this debris to accumulate within the posterior canal. Some patients will describe a history of a blow to the head or a viral infection immediately prior to the onset of symptoms. Usually there is no identified cause.

Who is affected by BPPV?
BPPV can affect men or women of all ages. It is uncommon in children. The elderly may have more difficulty coping with the vertigo.

How is BPPV Diagnosed?
BPPV has a very characteristic pattern of severe episodes of vertigo triggered by head motion in specific directions. Getting into or out of bed, or rolling over in bed are common triggering motions. The vertigo usually lasts for 30 seconds or less. During examination, your physician will try to trigger the vertigo by placing the head through a strong triggering motion. During the vertigo, a patient will have highly characteristic eye movements easily observed by the physician. If the history and findings on examination are typical, there is no need for further testing.

Is there a treatment for BPPV?
Yes! There is a very effective treatment for BPPV. While most people with BPPV will improve without any treatment, it may take weeks or months. The most effective treatment is called the Canalith Repositioning Maneuver or the Epley Maneuver - named after Dr. John Epley who discovered it. This maneuver is quickly and easily performed in the office. There are no medications administered and no surgical procedures performed. The basic maneuver requires placing the patient into the position that stimulates the vertigo and then gently rolling them in an opposite direction so that the debris will fall out of the posterior canal into an area where it will no longer cause problems. A vibrating device may be placed on the back of the ear to help in dislodging the debris. After the maneuver we recommend that patient not lie flat for 48 hours, but rather sleep in an easy chair or with their heads propped up on several pillows. This maneuver is successful in over 90% of the cases and results in a near immediate cure from the disorder. Occasionally the maneuver has to be repeated if the BPPV is particularly persistent.

Once treated, will the BPPV ever recur?
Symptoms may occur months or years after the initial episode. Up to half of patients with BPPV will have it again in the future, and there is no way of predicting who will have a recurrence. However, the Epley Maneuver can be used again if needed, and most patients can actually perform the maneuver themselves at home. If this is unsuccessful the patient should return to the clinic to ensure that there is no other cause of the vertigo, and to be treated appropriately.

Is there a role for medication in the treatment of BPPV?
The common medications for vertigo sedate the part of the brain involved in balance which is helpful in severe prolonged vertigo. The side effect of drowsiness is very common. These medications are generally unhelpful in BPPV. Occasionally such medication is helpful in severe cases to enable the patient to tolerate dizziness during the Epley Maneuver.

Is there a role for surgery in the treatment of BPPV?
Surgical treatments for this disorder are available. However the vast majority of patients with BPPV will not require surgery.

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Date: August 16, 2006 04:32AM

Very interesting, I wonder if this is what I have? Some of it does sound the same, some doesn't. For example, I don't feel any nausea. But, I do sometimes get the feeling such as when you are about to faint, and you must hold on to the wall and the field of vision closes. But, they don't mention that. Also, its never from lying in bed. But, I will look in to this! Have you tried this treatment? Thank you so much!
Katie

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: August 16, 2006 01:45PM

Basia Holy Healer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> also, in my case, people on this board called it
> vertigo,
> where did U get the fancy name/terminology for
> what happes to U?

The term orthostatic hypotension that ksmanthey is referring is just a medical definition of what s/he is experiencing: a lowering of blood pressure (as opposed to hypertension, aka high blood pressure) when changing positions, i.e from sitting to standing, from lying down to getting up.

Our bodies regulate our blood pressure on an ongoing basis as we change positions or other activities, but because it's usually such a smooth process, we're not even aware of it.

Vertigo is the term to describe dizziness or lightheadedness

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: August 16, 2006 03:45PM

Pistachio - thank U for the info & the yummy photo, ... is that what U were having??....i eat quite bit of blueberries these days, as we have an access to an organic ones ( we can pick them) for free....i make mixed fruit salad, with bluberries in it too, & also add chopped romaine, & pre-soaked seeds, & avocado, & olive oil, oh, & curry powder..(these days in everything i eat, it's healing & helps digestion too)..very filling & yummy & satisfying dish...
ps. if U want to be decadent, & not purist for a short while, try adding also canned coconut milk, regular not light kind, that will make the salad soooooo good!!!

ksmanthey - yes, same here, i've NEVER experienced the nausea with it...but also, for me, it always came about when on my back, & rolling over, or getting up....as far as i remember....it's been gone for quite some time though...& i'm sure i was low on something & that was my reason/cause....but, each body/system is sooooo different...besides having so much in common....like being part of those interesting species called...'huuumans'!!! right

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 16, 2006 03:59PM

Years ago that used to happen to me, when I'd get up to go running in the morning - it was usually right after waking up. I always thought it had something to do with low blood sugar. Do you have stable blood sugar during the day? Enough vegetables? After running you'll need to replenish both lost water and lost sodium to properly hydrate (why we crave salty foods after sweating) -- and eating a banana will give you potassium.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: August 16, 2006 11:09PM

Basia: Glad you enjoyed the 'cyber salad'. It's chopped romaine and bok choy with white grapes, black grapes and tomatoes tossed in. The day I made it I was in the mood for items with high water content and that's what I came up with. I liked the visual appeal (and the taste) so I snapped a picture before eating all of it.

Wishing you vibrant health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables