Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

am new/questions about food combining
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 23, 2006 05:18PM

I recently read Fit for Life, and as a result, have switched to a mostly raw food diet using food combining principles. I love it, and feel a thousand times better.

I was wondering, does anyone know whether garbonzo beans/beans are considered a protein or a starch? I know they have protein in them but not sure.

also, what is the story with B12? Are there any supplements raw foodists should take or do raw foods naturally take care of all vitamin/mineral needs?

Thank you!

Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: am new/questions about food combining
Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 23, 2006 07:36PM

garbonzo beans are not starchy and full of amino acids: 68% carbs, 13% fats, and 19% protein

based on 1 cup seving:
Calories from Carbohydrate 183
Calories from Fat 35.6
Calories from Protein 50.4

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 24, 2006 12:44AM

Garbanzo beans are hard to digest because they have a high protein and starch content. Most people who try to eat raw garbanzos usually don't do it twice because it creates a lot of gas. For people who want to make raw hummus, try using grated cauliflour instead.

Our bodies create their own B12, in the mucus membranes in the nasal passages and throat, as well as in the intestines. People who are deficient in B12 have an absorption problem rather than not having B12 in their diet or their bodies. If you are having B12 related problems, it is better to improve your digestion and your body's ability to absorb B12, rather than to flood your body with B12 supplements, some of which contain cyanide.

Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 24, 2006 02:30AM

Bryan,

I had a feeling it was starchy, don't know why nutritioninfo.com says otherwise?

Do you have weak digestive system Bryan? I digest garbonzo beans no problem.

Date: August 24, 2006 02:38AM

It is starchy. The predominate nutrient is starch at 68%, with its less dominate nutrients of protein at 19% and fat at 13%.

Are you taking about cooked garbanzos or raw ones? I was talking about people who make raw foods from raw garbanzo beans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2006 02:47AM by Bryan.

Date: August 24, 2006 02:47AM

Garbanzo contain the complex carbohdyrate called raffinose. Humans don't have the digestive enzyme to digest raffinose. From Wikipedia:

The Raffinose Family of Oligosaccharides (RFO) are alpha-galactosyl derivatives of sucrose, and the most common are the trisaccharide raffinose, the tetrasaccharide stachyose, and the pentasaccharide verbascose. The RFO's are almost ubiquitous in the plant kingdom, being found in a large variety of seeds from many different families, and they rank second only to sucrose in abundance as soluble carbohydrates.

Humans and other monogastric animals (pigs and poultry) do not possess the alpha-galactosidase enzyme to break down these RFO and the oligosaccharides pass undigested through the stomach and upper intestine. In the lower intestine they are fermented by gas-producing bacteria which make carbon dioxide, methane, and/or hydrogen -- leading to the flatulence commonly associated with eating beans. Raffinose is broken down by the intestinal bacteria with the help of the enzyme alpha-galactosidase. Alpha-galactosidase is the enzyme you take when you ingest the product Beano.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 24, 2006 07:58PM

Thank you so much Bryan and juve! This helps. I was actually talking about cooked garbonzo beans (i think - from whole foods in a can?). Harvey from Fit for Life says they are considered a starch and shouldn't be eaten with protein (for those who do) becuase it's hard for your body to digest. Think I might just keep them to a minimum.

Thank you for the B12 info too. on a lot of vegetarian websites they talk about the importance of taking vitamin B12 supplements so i wasn't sure.

Thank you! You both are so nice.

Bell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables