Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Would you eat inorganic food if you were money lacking?
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: August 29, 2006 07:04PM

I assume most will, better to eat than not to eat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would you eat inorganic food if you were money lacking?
Posted by: sgc ()
Date: August 29, 2006 07:13PM

Instead of buying inorganic food, I'd rather try to get in touch with small farmers, and volunteer to help them for some food, on the farm or on markets.
Money is not the only way to get food. I think you can exchange time, and skills, like making signs for a farmer, or a banner and so on.
SGC

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 29, 2006 07:21PM

I've been trying to "up" my organic foods. Most of the nuts and seeds that I buy from the bulk bins are organic. I buy organic lettuce and other greens most of the time. Now and then I buy kale that's not organic. Right now I have coupons for for some organic products. If you check out the web sites of some of the major organic companies, you can sometimes find coupons to print out. It takes some effort, but if you work at it, you can find ways to cut the additional "organic cost". Farmers' markets are great! Also, growing sprouts is a great way to up your organic.

I go by the list of "Dirty Dozen" fruits and veggies. If it's on the list, I either buy it organic, or don't eat it.

But yes - I would and sometimes do eat inorganic. I wash it well and use a spray and sometimes let the fruits and veggies soak for a while to get more of the pesticides off - hopefully.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 29, 2006 07:43PM

I'm all organic if it's available! Many people complain they can't afford to buy organic then they spend money on all kinds of other things like cigarettes, booze, junk food & silly stuff in general.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: August 29, 2006 08:36PM

When I go to the market and see organic produce near or at the same price I will buy the organic but most of the time I will buy local produce at farmers market.
I try to buy produce that is in season and not shipped from faraway organic or not.
Cherimoya
Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 29, 2006 08:59PM

Of course. Its a spectrum. With completely processed / oily / dead food on one end.......and home-grown organic produce on the other. If you can't reach, find, or afford something high on the spectrum....you go for as high as you can get! Ha! ha! For sure. And don't feel the slightest bit bad about it!

-David Mason

If you can't afford organic produce
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: August 29, 2006 11:00PM

do the Clorox bath on all your produce. It has been clinically tested to remove almost 90 percent of pesticides. If you don't know how to do it, let me know....I'll put it on the website. It usese the smallest amount of Clorox. It works. It's a blessing in an imperfect world.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2006 12:12AM

Yes, I would eat non-organic if I could not afford organic. If the non-organic foods are whole, fresh, ripe, raw fruits and vegetables, they are the best you can do.

Some foods are OK commercial because they have thick skins or they tend not to get sprayed that much. Avocados and figs are among the cleaner commercial. The leafy greens and soft fruits like strawberries tend to be the worst.

Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: August 30, 2006 03:05AM

Someone please post the "dirty dozen" list of what to buy organic! I have seen it before but don't really know where to find it when searching for it specifically.

~Jessica

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2006 06:47PM

Twelve most pesticide-contaminated foods:
1. Strawberries
2. (tie) Bell Peppers, Green and Red
2. (tie) Spinach
4. Cherries, U.S.
5. Peaches
6. Cantaloupe, Mexican
7. Celery
8. Apples
9. Apricots
10. Green beans
11. Grapes, Chilean
12. Cucumbers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables