Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can I dehydrate in a regular oven??
Posted by: abi0961 ()
Date: August 30, 2006 05:59AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a dehydrator, but am interested in trying out a couple of recipes that require one. If I keep my oven on "warm" and open it occasionally, do you think that will work? Does anybody typically use an oven to dehydrate? Thanks for any tips you might have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I dehydrate in a regular oven??
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 30, 2006 06:57AM

I did this in the beginning. I put the oven on warm. I often left it overnight. I did apple slices on first cookie sheets then a pizza stone. It works but it's not very efficient as there are only two shelves.

You could also dehydrate in the refrigerator by leaving it in the fridge a long time. Another option is to dehyrate in the sun as in Essene bread.

In the future, I plan on buying the 9 shelf dehydrator but since the initial spurt, I haven't dehydrated anything unless it was accidentally in the fridge.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 30, 2006 07:32AM

My electric oven doesn't go lower than 155 degrees. I wish it did, so I could dehrdrate too =(

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 30, 2006 12:27PM

-You can try just turning on the light......and closing the door....or leaving it part-way open. You can place a thermometer in there to surely determine what the mean temperature is at. You can also add a small fan to the mix.

-Alternatively, if you live in a sunny climate, you can place your items on racks.......wrap them in mesh....and place them someplace they can get plenty of sun and wind all day. I used to put mine in the back of my pick-up truck!

-David Mason

Date: August 30, 2006 01:23PM

hi,

I don't have a dehydrator yet but do dehydrate: in my oven! Until now I have basically been making crackers, and that works fine. I don't know if they would be better or tastier or crunchier in a real dehydrator, though.
Anyway, I make my crackers and sometimes dehydrated stuffed mushrooms or wraps (and once a pie crust) in an oven. I put the heat at 50 degrees Celsius but leave the door a little open. Like this the real temperature in the oven is about 40 degrees. I bought an oven thermometer to control the temperature doesn't go over 40 degrees. My oven also has a fan, so it is called 'hot air oven'. I live in Europe, don't know if this works the same everywhere or has another name, but I hope it is clear!
My crackers are normally in the oven for a long time: 10 to 12 hours.

I hope this gives you an idea!

Good luck,
Sabine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables