Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Papaya
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: September 18, 2006 03:12PM

I bought a papaya, but it was different than ones I have bought before. I think it said it was a "mandala papaya"? It is huge. So my question is, how do I know when it is ripe? Will it soften a bit?

Thanks!
Kim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Papaya
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 18, 2006 03:55PM

Yeah, the huge ones are great. Similar to the smaller ones, they go orange and get a bit softer when they are ripe. I just bought a ripe one today...

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: September 18, 2006 03:56PM

Thanks, Rob. It's green on the outside right now, so I guess I have to wait. Bummer...I am so ready to eat it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2006 03:57PM by Yogamama.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 18, 2006 04:26PM

Papaya (if purchased TOO green) will not ripen at all. Try to get one with at least SOME yellow....and preferably slightly spotted. These will ripen a little bit....for a couple of days.....and should then be refrigerated or eaten.

Hint: When you purchase, give the skin a little dig with your fingernail. The flesh should give a little (not be mushy) and the darker orange underneath, the better.

-David Mason

Date: September 18, 2006 04:35PM

Thanks for the tips. If I put it in a brown paper bag, maybe with a banana or two, will that help it to ripen?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2006 09:09PM

I prefer them when they are NOT ripe, they have more enzymes. I use my green papayas in my smoothies.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: September 20, 2006 01:21PM

I'll have to try green papayas.

The Medjool papayas that I've been buying have a deep red-orange flesh. They are surprisingly unsweet compared to other fruits and have a somewhat odd odor, but they make a delicious and creamy smoothie.

djatchi: can you recommend fruits that compliment whole lemons in a smoothie?

~Kath

Date: September 20, 2006 02:23PM

Hey Kath, I just are my papaya last night with my dinner and I was also laughing about the odor. In fact, when I cut it open, my husband said "Oh, I have never liked those because of their smell". They smell a bit like parmesan cheese to me! But I ate it anyways and it was good. I think I will let it ripen a bit more next time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables