Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Whats the deal with veggies. Can someone summarize the whole fruit/veggie problem?
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 02, 2006 05:22PM

im still confused about what to eat. right now im living the life of a fruitarian, but only because i read many articles about how veggies are not meant to be eaten by us because they have things that cant be digested. this obviously doesn't prove we're not supposed to eat them, but it helped me just stay only fruits..

so whats the deal. can veggies be digested? i read juicing is this magical thing that releases some ingredients in veggies and makes them easier to digest so its like a miracle potion.

can someone explain more? i don't mean to be lazy and ask for an explanation but im so confused because im trying to define my eating habits and set rules but i dont know where to draw the line.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whats the deal with veggies. Can someone summarize the whole fruit/veggie problem?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 02, 2006 05:40PM

It's kind of trial & error - I'm not sure that at this point there IS a definitive answer to your question. Personal testimonials I've read of long-time raw foodists also don't point to ONE right answer. Some swear by greens, and some by fruits. The fruit people will tell you about the evil effects of vegetables, and the veggie people will tell you of the evils of too much fruit.

I think it just depends on your body type/constitution. The people advocating all the fruit are probably the people who, on a standard amer diet, didnt used to get fat just looking at a cookie; whereas the veggie/greens people are probably the former meat lovers.

Go with what makes YOU feel the best.

Re: Whats the deal with veggies. Can someone summarize the whole fruit/veggie problem?
Posted by: khale ()
Date: October 02, 2006 11:21PM

Raw, leafy green veggies are abundant in minerals and phytonutrients and are extremely valuable for food. Fruits are abundant in vitamins. Vitamins work best when partnered with sufficient minerals, so fruits and leafy vegetables are a good team.

One of the objections I hear to a predominately veggie diet is the amount of fats that are typically used to supplement them, as veggies are very low in calories in comparison to fruit, especially sweet fruit, which packs a pretty good caloric wallop. But unless something comes along to change my mind, I think the addition of healthy fats in moderation is a good thing. A certain amount of essential fatty acids are needed to assist in the assimilation of phytonutrients along with other more well known advantages to their addition in the diet. I think, at this point in my own education, that if you are eating plenty of raw fruits and veggies and a small amount of fats in the form of raw nuts and seeds that you are doing excellent and should relax a bit and allow yourself to feel successful.

This is something you're gonna have to make your own mind up about as there is no consensus among raw foodies. Keep in mind that your diet will evolve over time and so if you like veggies and salads I don't think you should restrict yourself from having them.

just my take,

~Khale

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 02, 2006 11:41PM

My experience is that greens were very helpful during transition and for feeling full....while later I chose to eat lighter...and fruits sat better with me. In the beginning, I mixed a lot of foods....and juiced a lot. Now I eat simpler (one thing at a time) and don't juice much.

-Each person has a spectrum...as I'm sure you're aware. You'll have to do the research...determine yours....and put yourself on an upward trend. You'll do fine my friend. Years from now you'll be dispensing sage advice! winking smiley

-David Mason

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 03, 2006 01:41AM

I think you can digest veggies. I used to have bruises because I laid off the greens for a while trying to just go fruitarian. Now I eat one leaf of Kale everyday, and my bruises are gone due to the vitamin K.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables