Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Becoming a vegan.
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: June 25, 2006 11:17PM

Hi, I'm new to this whole ordeal. I have been faithful at eating raw fruits and vegetables for a while now. I don't know that much about becoming a vegan. Is there information of the dos and don'ts. Sorry, I don't know the vegan "lingo". I also want to go on a fast. I have fasted before in my life for spiritual reasons so I know some things about fasting. I just ate some Chinese today, and I was wondering if a person needs to slowly work into a fast after a big meal like that, or can you just simply fast?

Also, what are the detox symptoms that I can be more aware of? After a one day fast, what should I eat? I want to become a vegan, but I want to make small steps towards some goals so I don't give up. I also don't want my husband to think I'm nuts, he already thinks I'm a health nut. Some advice would be helpful. I read some things posted on here already, and I used to drink water with honey in it for fasts, but now I know that this is a NO NO! Also, what is seasalt and can I get it at the Food Co-op?
Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Becoming a vegan.
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 25, 2006 11:44PM

I guess it depends on if you are looking for raw foods vegan or just vegan. As for a fast, we've been helping out another member in "master cleanse-help me out-gonna do it" a couple lines above you, here. Dr. Natura is too expencive for me, so this is the fast I did.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 26, 2006 12:09AM

I wish I knew the answer. To me becoming vegan was effortless, because, without even realizing it, I gradually lost the desire for animal products, over the course of several years. So for me becoming vegan was more realizing that I already was one, rather than struggling to become one. I think that my transformation to high-fruit diet was similar, that is spontaneous, once I decided to go raw. Personally, I find it hard to follow some rules when they do not come from within. So the best advice I can give is that realizing what YOU really want would be the first step.

All the best,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: June 26, 2006 12:46AM

What you said was awesome, Gosia! I am finding that I am on that path, too. I am losing the desire for some animal products. I've had this desire to get foods from the Food Co-op. My husband even suggested we get food from there. I think he has a secret desire to be healthier, he just needs some direction. I can help our whole family by gradually change what we buy and eat!

Thanks for your answers!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 26, 2006 05:02AM

Dear Shep,

Just a couple of pointers:

-Read labels on all packaged, canned, and bottled foods to make sure no dairy is added (including whey).

-Make sure your grains are whole grains and not bleached, enriched, etc. Choose "whole wheat" breads rather than "wheat" breads, plus whole grain pastas and brown rice.

-Research B12. A good site for B12 info is vegansociety.com. I take a B12 supplement labeled "Vegan".

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2006 05:42AM

Hi shep. I wouldn't call it an "ordeal", it's fun.

If you're going to use seasalt choose the "RealSalt" brand or Celtic Sea Salt brand.

After a one day fast you can eat pretty much whatever you choose (preferably raw of course). After a longer fast try to break it with something really juice like a cantalope or vegetable juice.

Good luck. smiling smiley

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 26, 2006 02:29PM

Shep,

You should check out [www.ravediet.com]. This is the video I give all of my friends that ask me about veganism. It's a very powerful place to start. We can always help you out with book recommendations for cooked or raw vegan foods.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: June 26, 2006 06:37PM

a question about sea salt v himalayan crystals...

will using a crystal taste as bad as 1/2 tsp of sea salt?? it was really hard for me to drink a glass of water with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt like in the master cleanse!

Date: June 26, 2006 08:29PM

In master cleanse, it's only 1/4 tsp. per LITER of water. I htink you're just using WAY too much salt.

Date: June 26, 2006 08:54PM

it's actually 2 tsp per quart (about the same as a liter). i don't know why i typed 1/2..maybe my unconscious wish for it to be less! anyway, while on the cleanse i added 1 tsp per 16 oz and even that was harsh.

my question still stands with an edited number.

Date: June 26, 2006 09:01PM

Are you meaning the crystalized sea salt? I think it desolves the same in water as the other sea salt does, but it IS supposed to have a softer/milder taste to it. It wouldn't hurt to try it and see what you think of it, though.

Date: June 26, 2006 09:30PM

i'm referring to himalayan crystal salt
[www.himalayancrystalsalt.com]
i've never tried it but people seem to like it..hmm...

Date: June 26, 2006 09:43PM

I'd never heard of it until now. It wouldn't hurt to try it out, though.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 27, 2006 12:33PM

I'm a big advocate of himalyan crystal sea salt. I use it all the time and also start every morning with a glass of sole. The big crystals, or rocks, are for making sole. The smaller salt crystals need to be ground in a ceramic grinder - which himalayncrystalsalt.com carries.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables