Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Living on Mono Fruit. all oranges 1 day all apples another day
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 18, 2006 06:47AM

can eating mono fruit be successful long-term? i know Doug Graham is a long-term fruitarian and he is obviously very successful.

is it safe for example to just eat oranges all day? for example 6 oranges for breakfast, 8 for lunch and around 10 for dinner?

im starting to wonder whether our bodies really need a standard Daily Value nutrient chart, i wonder if we really need nutrients everyday like the FDA recommeneds, or if we really dont...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Living on Mono Fruit. all oranges 1 day all apples another day
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 18, 2006 07:00AM

Personally, I find I need to vary my diet, more to keep it interesting than for nutrition. I think variation is a good thing, but if you are changing your food every day, I don't see anything wrong with it providing you feel good, enjoy your food and you're healthy.

I've always wondered if FDA have been playing it safe with what they recommend, choosing large numbers based on more being better than less. I have a feeling us humans could survive on a lot less.

Ian.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 10:10PM

That's a lot of oranges, but if your body says to eat oranges one day, do it. In the summer I ate just watermelon all week. My body was telling me to eat it. So I did and my body used it up and thanked me.

Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 18, 2006 10:12PM

wow really? for a week straight? what is your skin and hair like.. you look beautiful and your skin and hair look amazing, but can you tell me how eating only mono watermelon helped you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2006 10:12PM by confuzed.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 19, 2006 12:04AM

confuzed-

when you say Doug Graham is "obviously very successful", you probably aren't referring to his physical appearance are you? you've already pointed out that you don't think he looks good for his age. so what are your standards of "very successful"?

i'm with the loverly lady called shep252- i've gone through phases where one fruit seemed like all i want, and i have to admit it was various melons in the summer. but i don't recommend it at a way of living intentionally.

and not oranges. not in october. they're not the cheapest fruit, and the reason is because they're not in season. when they're not in season, they taste bad, their nutrition level is lower, and your body probably doesn't need them. i don't eat oranges until they look irresitable and are the cheapest thing in the store. it's not a bad way to buy. but only eating oranges all day, that's kinda warped.

as for the FDA- i've learned with my health and my dog's, daily allowances aren't the most important thing. the human body is not wired to get daily amounts and that's it. the human body needs certain nutrients, but like the bean-and-rice controversy from decades ago, it can happen over time. if you eat beans at one meal and rice at another, your body will extract what it needs and put them together as needed. you need to supply the nutrients to the body, but not necessarily in the form of dosing yourself (vitamins) or structuring your diet for the day to match. you don't do that on cooked food, do you?

also, the FDA over-estimates on a lot of things, and underestimates on others. i cannot eat grains. that is the base of the modern american diet, right? so i should obviously be suffering from the nutrients the FDA says we get from grains. like iron. logically, i should be suffering from some disorders or health problems since i haven't eaten any grains except brown rice and occasionally corn since i was 20 years old. and those only once or twice a month. i've argued with many overweight nutritionists on this. they've tested me (pregnancy makes them run all the tests) and my hemoglobin/iron test thing was 15 AFTER A BABY. this is when a woman's iron is lowest. my fasting blood sugar is 73. you'd think, eating against the pyramid (my fat intake is far higher than the pyramid would even dare to consider) would have some negative effect. instead, i've been asked to talk to other women with health issues, and especially about avoiding grains (in flour) as it can help with major issues. the FDA covers up stories, like grain allergies, because it is not economically beneficial to the country. i don't think i'll be trusting what they tell me to eat, if their standards work that way.

same thing with babies. somehow, breastmilk is healthy only for the first six months, then babies need supplements. yet formula is supposed to be used for an entire year, because it has all the nutrients. and at one year, babies are supposed to switch to cow's milk, pasteurized, because breastmilk is no longer nutritional at all. if you really trust that organization, look at what the advice it has given to America over the last 10 years has done to obesity rates.

i'll bet the 1/3 that isn't overweight is into alternative health and eating.

so, mono fruit works better if you do small meals of mono fruits. say berries in the morning, wait and hour or so, melon, wait and hour, oranges, wait, bananas, wait two hours. just don't mix the fruit. if you find yourself eating a fruit at one meal and then wanting it for the next, then do it. but don't limit yourself in the way you're saying. it sounds dangerous to me.

peace and good luck,
Mama Cass

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 19, 2006 10:04AM

Confuzed:

-You might want to really ask: Can YOU be successful on a long-term mono fruit diet. The fact that you're asking means you think you might.

-I have eaten nothing but fruit for many years now...and am the healthiest and happiest guy I know. I think it is a spectrum. YOU will determine what YOU think are the healthiest foods...and you will set small goals...and incorporate them into your diet. In the beginning...my suggestion is to eat TONS of good, raw plant foods...in a very wide variety. There is not a secret formula to be discovered - but rather what works for you.

-Just my opinion.

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 19, 2006 08:10PM

No "Confuzed" that is not safe

Mike

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 09:19PM

confuzed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow really? for a week straight? what is your skin
> and hair like.. you look beautiful and your skin
> and hair look amazing, but can you tell me how
> eating only mono watermelon helped you?

Thanks, I have thick hair that is down to my butt. My skin is clear. I only ate the watermelon for a week in the summer. It hydrated me when I was hot and gave me some good iron and nutrients I needed at the time.

I agree with Mama Cass, oranges are looking bad already, and I stopped eating them last week because they started tasting bad.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables