Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do I detox my liver?
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: October 19, 2006 04:46PM

My eyes are yellow and I feel a bit sluggish. Is this a sign I need to detox my liver? If so, how do you best go about this on a raw diet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I detox my liver?
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: October 19, 2006 04:53PM

Wow! I think I found a great site with lots of info. Here it is. It is alot!

“Detox” has become a buzz word today - but what exactly does it mean?

Our bodies are exposed to hundreds of toxins every day, ranging from environmental pollution to cigarette smoke, alcohol and caffeine; pesticides, preservatives, chemical additives and food-borne bacteria. Now more than ever, toxins are an unavoidable part of modern life.

These toxins enter the bloodstream and can have disastrous health effects if not eliminated.

Whilst the lungs and skin play a role in filtering some toxins, by far the most important organ in the body’s detoxification process is the liver.

The liver has been called the “chemical factory” of the body, and is truly a remarkable organ. Every minute, almost 3 litres of blood passes through the liver to be “cleaned”. When functioning normally, the liver clears 99% of bacteria and other toxins from our blood before it re-enters the bloodstream.

However the liver can become overloaded - particularly when our lifestyle becomes too unhealthy - and cannot do its job as efficiently.

Do I need a Liver Detox?
You may be a candidate for detox if you are experiencing some of the following symptoms.

Unexplained fatigue
Allergies and low-grade infections
Distended stomach, flatulence
Mental confusion
Nausea
Headaches, migraines
Constipation and digestive difficulties
Bags under the eyes
Irritated skin
Natural Liver Cleansing
Fortunately, the liver is a highly regenerative organ, especially when we give it some help.

Here are a few nutritional Do’s and Don’ts.1

Cut down on alcohol. Alcohol is a direct liver toxin, and having a break could be the best thing you do for your liver.
Reduce consumption of caffeine, sugary foods, saturated fats and products made from processed white flour.
Include lots of fresh vegetables in your diet, particularly cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage, which are good for the liver. “Green foods” such as seaweed, spinach, spirulina and wheatgrass are also liver-friendly.
Vitamin C-rich foods boost antioxidant levels, to protect the liver and help the body’s healing processes. These foods include citrus fruit, strawberries, red capsicum, dark green vegetables and kiwi fruit.
Reduce saturated fats – they’re harder for the liver to process.
Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines), provide an excellent source of Omega 3’s which help combat inflammation, a side effect of some liver conditions.
Snack on nuts and seeds. Brazil nuts are a good source of selenium, a powerful antioxidant. Almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds are another nutritious choice.

Liver Friendly Herbs
Herbal supplements can greatly aid and speed up the detoxification process.

Milk Thistle
More than 300 clinical and laboratory studies have shown that Milk Thistle can produce both a protective and curative effect on liver damage resulting from highly toxic compounds.

Research has uncovered a host of antihepatotoxic (liver protectant) compounds in Milk Thistle. The active ingredient of Milk Thistle is silymarin, the principal component of which is silybin.

Silymarin and silybin help protect liver cells by producing a powerful antioxidant called glutathione, which is 10 times more potent than vitamin E.2 Studies have shown silymarin can raise glutathione levels in the liver by up to 50%.3,4

Silymarin also offers protection against toxins such as drugs and alcohol. Studies suggest it does this not only by preventing the action of toxic substances,5-7 but also stimulating protein synthesis to regenerate liver
cells.8-10

Other helpful liver herbs & nutrients:

Globe Artichoke
The medicinal use of Globe Artichoke dates back to at least the 4th century BC. It is primarily used as a liver remedy and also for the reduction of blood lipid levels. Globe Artichoke stimulates the secretion of bile, which assists in the clearing of fats, cholesterol and toxins.

Turmeric
Contains the yellow pigment curcumin, which increases the production and flow of liver bile. It has potent antioxidant properties to aid in protecting the liver from free radicals. Studies conducted using Tumeric have also shown it has significant anti-inflammatory effects along with some cancer-protective effects.

Dandelion
Has a cleansing effect on the liver due to its diuretic properties. It also enhances the production of bile, improving conditions such as liver congestion.

Lecithin
Choline, the main constituent in lecithin, is essential for normal liver function in humans. Lecithin has been shown to normalise bile secretion and contains essential fatty acids which help keep membranes around the liver cells healthy.

Additional measures for Liver Health

Quit smoking – it adds more toxic chemicals for the liver to process – and stay out of smoky enclosed areas.
Avoid drugs and medications except where prescribed – try herbal remedies to reduce the load on the liver.
Reduce exposure to chemicals in the home and workplace as much as possible – try natural cleaning product alternatives, such as eucalyptus oil and bicarb soda.
Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, to flush out the liver. Adding a squeeze of lemon juice also helps.
Breathe deeply to assist the liver in detoxifying, as the liver is dependent on the amount of oxygen coming in through the lungs. Aerobic exercise (even walking) helps for the same reason

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables