Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw sugar cane sugar?
Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: October 20, 2006 08:54PM

I am trying to decide whether evaporated sugar cane juice or perhaps sucanat (which is a more whole form of sugar cane as I understand it), would be fine to use in recipes. I currently use maple syrup which is not raw, so it seems that would be about the same as sucanat or another organic evaporated cane juice sugar. Mostly the reason for me to change would really be financial.

My goal is to use less and less of any sweetener and eventually use not much at all, but right now I need to be able to make sweet recipes. If I don't, I'll end up buying cooked cookies (vegan, but still)! Lately, I've actually even been "cheating" by having a regular cookie or two (when my sis in law makes some). So I think that making some nice, super sweet recipes will steer me further away from traditional baked goods.

I did make a raw chocolate chip cookie dough yesterday...it is SO good. I have hope that I may yet give up the baked goods FOREVER!

So, for those of you who use maple syrup, do you or have you used other kinds of sugars like the ones I've mentioned? And what were your experiences with them? Thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw sugar cane sugar?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 20, 2006 09:41PM

Why not use dates or other dried fruit (currants are very sweet).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: October 20, 2006 11:08PM

Stevia is excellent to use. My personal preference is "Stevia Plus!"

~raine~

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 22, 2006 12:50AM

easy peasy walnut pecan brownies

get some dates
put some nuts in it
there u go

a brownie for you smiling smiley

i used to do that a long while ago
but now i can't handle the sweetness of dates
but hey
if yer in transition and all that

its kind of easy

u can slice some fruit on top of that too
if u feel the need

Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: October 23, 2006 02:00AM

Thank you for the suggestions...I do use dates, and I do really like them, just not in all recipes. Plus, the financial issue is there. But I was really just curious as to what you all think about a comparison between maple syrup and evaporated sugar cane. Are they in the same category, or is one better than the other?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables