Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Peanuts
Posted by: Elphaba ()
Date: November 14, 2006 11:04PM

Is there anything wrong with eating raw peanuts?

I keep seeing conflicting answers...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Peanuts
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 14, 2006 11:24PM

You CAN eat them. My understanding is that they are actually a legume (bean). It is also my understanding that raw peanuts might contain aflatoxin (a mold or some-such that grows in certain conditions). I think if you really enjoyed the taste, that you could wash them and rinse them thoroughly and eat them. You make the call. Personally, I do not eat them.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: November 15, 2006 05:36AM

You could try the Jungle peanuts from Nature's First Law [http.] . I've tried them and they were great. They supposedly don't contain aflatoxin mold.

I've been thinking of getting more (they are expensive) and making myself some spicy peanut sauce during the holidays. Blend peanuts, ginger, water, shoyu, garlic, cayenne, dash of sesame oil, dash of sweetener, chinese 5-spice and pour over zucchini pasta - sprinkle chopped peanuts on top!

Dang, I'm hungry!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2006 05:50AM by alive!.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 15, 2006 09:11AM

Mmmmm, I like the wild peanuts as well. They make a great Thai peanut sauce... Mmmmm...

Yes, good peanuts are yummmy.

Ian.

Date: November 15, 2006 01:35PM

Thanks for all the responses! I was hoping to make some sort of peanut butter that actually tasted like the PB I'm used to.

I'll start by researching aflatoxin and go from there.

Do the Jungle Peanuts taste like the regular ones?

Date: November 16, 2006 01:37AM

Yup!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: November 16, 2006 01:34PM

I am an Insurance Underwriter and have handled food industry risks that I have had this concern with. Aflatoxins generally grow on grains and legumes. As stated above Peanuts are legumes and they are notorious for the growth of aflatoxins (generally when they sit in storage).

Peanuts intended for human consumption are tested for aflatoxins, this testing is regulated and required in the UK and the USA (possibly some other countries too).

Other common foods that can contain aflatoxins are walnuts, pecans, corn, milk and eggs. Aflatoxins occur in animal derived products likely because the animal feed tends to be highly processed and is stored for large amounts of time.

The human body is able to detox Aflatoxins in small doses, however a diet high in these lethal mycotoxins can cause a build up in the liver, thus making aflatoxins a possible underlying cause for acute or chronic liver disease and liver cancer.

The problem is that once a fungus has grown on fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts and produces a corresponding aflatoxin, a big concern in health circles is that the poisons created are 100% heat stable, so neither cooking nor freezing destroys them. They remain on the food indefinitely.

The fresher your food is, the less likely it is to contain aflatoxins. Try to buy locally grown legumes and nuts if possible (as these are most at risk), that way they haven't been sitting around in storage.
Personally, I believe that if you are on a high raw organic diet your body is going to be more likely to cope with a larger dose of aflatoxins should it occur than someone whose diet contains an abundance of other toxins and the body is already struggling with.

This "aflatoxin free" product sounds like a difficult thing to guarantee to me, however I would think that you will be fine should there be any trace levels as your body should be well equiped to quickly and safely dispose of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2006 01:42PM by jadedshade.

Date: November 16, 2006 08:41PM

According to the folks at Natures' First Law, these peanuts are "heirloom" so to speak - nuts that have been growing and harvested by the native people in Equador for hundreds of years. One of the problems with hybridized foods is that they tend to have more mold. Since these aren't hybrids - they are supposedly without mold. Check out the web site. rawfood.com

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: November 17, 2006 04:24PM

So, I finally got some raw peanuts and was horribly disappointed. I both tried them "raw" raw and dehydrated, with seat salt. I guess they are just not for me.

Thank you again, for all of the replies.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 17, 2006 06:15PM

Which peanuts did you get?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2006 02:50PM

Peanuts are typically acid forming in the human system. If you consume more than 70% of your dietary intake of volume containing acidic foods you can increase acidosis in the body. To bring your self out of the lower pH range and into a more desireable alkaline range, plan your daily intake by arranging at the least 70 percent alkaline forming foods on you plate.

I have totally eliminated peanuts from my diet. Almonds are alkalizing in the system and their better tasting too. All of the nut butter I consume is in the form of almond butter.

A side benefit of using almonds is the fact that almonds stimulate the adrenal glands. When you eat almonds they typically will permeate their oils and emolients through to the dermis and then you know that your adrenals are functioning properly. A healthy adrenal system insures proper homeostassis.

Timot,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables