Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sad news - Cancer diagnosis
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 22, 2006 04:56PM

Just received sad news from my eldest brother. He has been diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus. He says that he would like to fight the cancer.

He is a person who is very heavily into a meat based cooked diet. He drinks wine and eats stuff with sugar in etc. (You know typical SAD type diet - but he is not overweight and was reasonably healthy until recently).

I've never felt that I could discuss 'my completely different way of life' with him in much detail. Just a step too far from his comfort zone.

He lives a long way from me and so we don't get to see each other much, but I am planning to hopefully go to see him very soon.

I don't have all the details yet, but I hope to get a bigger picture tonight on the telephone.

So ... the great difficulty (given what I have said about him) is what should I gently coax him to try along with the conventional medical treatment that he is having? Time is of the essence ... yet I don't think he is going to spend lots of money rushing off to e.g. Hippocrates in the U.S. or such. I doubt he will buy a vitamix, green star or such juicer or spend lots of money on complimentary and alternative cancer treatments. I cannot see him having wheatgrass juice. (That is all so alien to him and his way of thinking). Yet these are the things that I would wish for him ... so my heart is troubled. We have a track record of people dying in my family with cancer.

Given this situation ... pls help ... what would you recommend?
What everyday things would you suggest that would be more normal for him and his wife to use?

Also it sounds like he is having to eat baby type foods due to choking (cancer of the oesophagus). So what would be the best that he could have to eat / drink to help him survive the cancer? I realise if it was me I would be having wheatgrass and dark green juices daily ... Reiki ... apricot kernals (B17) ... Dr Hulda Clarkes protocol ... and a load of such stuff.

What have you come across that has very much helped with cancer?
What do you personally suggest?

Please help.
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sad news - Cancer diagnosis
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 22, 2006 05:09PM

I would tell him that environmental toxins cause cancer, and eliminating the toxins will allow the body to heal itself. Zeolite would be a good place to start because it purifies the body sort of like how charcoal purifies drinking water. Once he starts taking zeolite he'll feel pretty thirsty and then you can suggest the raw diet b/c with his blood pH normalized, and craving water, he'll naturally find fruits and light veggies to be a good idea at that point.

I don't have much experience with zeolite, I just tried it myself, but I'm thinking this could be a good way to get ppl started on raw w/o jarring their current view of the world too much.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2006 06:25PM

Hi John,

The best thing for him to do is go to a living foods health retreat.

I think the Rainbow Green diet, phase 1, would help.

Phase chart:
www.treeoflife.nu/dl/Summary_of_Rainbow_Green_Cuisine_Phases.doc

He may also want to drink two quarts of the green juice every day. The green juice recipe is on page two of the phase chart.

Check out this movie about the Gerson cancer cure:
[www.gersonmiracle.org]

The liquid zeolite has helped many people who are dealing with cancer. This is Gabriel Cousens article about it:
testimonials: [www.zeoliteinfo.com]

Detoxification is the best way to heal. Check out the book "The Detox Miracle Sourcebook", you may find good info at [www.curezone.com]

Good luck!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 04:56AM by Bryan.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: November 22, 2006 06:29PM

There's some interesting testimonials from people with cancer who used zeolite here:
[tinyurl.com]

There's more here:
[tinyurl.com]

I've just started using it (I don't have cancer), and I'm having remarkable results: more energy, losing weight, less allergies. This is major for me. I feel like I have a different body.

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: November 22, 2006 06:42PM

Hello,

Know that I write this with compassion.

Ok, does his comfort zone include having his neck, throat and chest cut and cracked open? Such a question is usually posed to folks who complain when they're faced with a plant based diet. They call the diet "radical"; they don't seem to use the word "radical" though when they're scheduled for open heart surgery.

Were I you, I'd run over to his house and say, "look, here's the deal... I'm disease free, healthy," yada, yada, yada, "would you like to be?"

Depending on his answer, you'll know which way to go.

My dad is currently very ill: congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, diabeatis, etc... Now he's on a "strict" diet. He's 65, selling his business and moving with my mother down here to VA near me.

Why did I tell you the above? Powerlessness, man. Total powerlessness. I have all this knowledge in my head, but I cannot seem to be able to stick my hand in my head, take it, change it to willingness and insert it into him. What's more, I love him very much; I will make the rest of his life very comfortatable and his passing just as comfortable as I can.

Yes, it sucks.

Best wishes,

Arilraw

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: November 22, 2006 07:27PM

Send him love, and listen to yourself in first hand, and then listen to these beautiful people.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 22, 2006 07:36PM

Really I think the only thing we can do is put the information out there - some people will listen, most will not. Let people take their time with it, and hopefully one day they'll think it's a good idea, just like how one day we decided to give it a try.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: November 22, 2006 10:05PM

The wine is very damaging to his throat, so if he hasn't eliminated that - it's probably the #1 thing to do.

I have known people who have had a complete turn-about due to a diagnosis of a potentially fatal disease. I have seen them change in such ways that the disease was later viewed as a "wake up call and a blessing". So, I wouldn't discount the idea that there could be a miracle in this. I'll keep him and you in my prayers.

Having said that - I would definately tell him "my story". People become less defensive and resistent when you keep the story about you instead of them. But, I would also give him a book or two. Some good suggestions have already been posted.

I had a friend who died from cancer a few years ago. He wanted so to live. I wish he had tried the natural route FIRST instead of after he had let the chemo and other conventional methods ruin his immune system. He actually died of pneumonia - go figure.

If he shows even a slight interest, I think I would try to help him get hooked up with a doctor who has experience in treating cancers with natural methods.

If he agrees to your ideas - well then you are gonna need to BE THERE FOR HIM IN A BIG WAY! Good Luck and like I said, I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Life Is Good! Count your blessings, everybody!

alive!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 22, 2006 10:13PM

>what would you recommend?
>What everyday things would you suggest that would be more normal for him and his wife to use?

No need for expensive equipment, a cheap food processor will do. Make him some fruit purees with a handful of baby spring mix thrown in and some flax oil. Tell him you really care about him and ask him if he will indulge you for a moment.

I think it's important to be realistic about survival, cures and how they are defined (typically for cancers, "cure" = survival at 5 years after diagnosis, not "cure" in the real sense). And also note that many cases of "spontaneous regression" were misdiagnosed in the first place, or people who claim them have often had surgical intervention that they aren't up front about.

If his cancer has progressed too far, there is minimal to no hope for recovery, only hope for a slowing down of the additional progression, i.e. you may not be able to keep him alive for a healthy cancer-free lifespan but you can keep him alive for longer if you feed him right.

Date: November 22, 2006 11:06PM

Dr. Schulze's incurables program, which incorporates fresh juices, herbs, a raw diet, and other things has really helped a lot of people.

A friend recently died of breast cancer. While she was still alive, a few of us tried to find something to help her. I came across this wonderful woman in the Pacific Northwest who cured herself of ovarian cancer that had spread to the hip and breast. She used the Incurables program. When she started the program, she weighed 80 pounds and was in excrutiating pain.

I taped a 1/2 hr phone call with her in which she described what she did and the stages of her recovery. It's a fascinating story. You can download the MP3 file here:

[download.yousendit.com]

One thing she emphasized is that she couldn't have done it without a lot of help. We all know how hard it can be to stay raw - even when we're healthy and vital. It takes a lot at first to find, buy and prepare the food. So if your brother is willing and you can help him, that would be the best.

Good luck and God bless.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: November 23, 2006 02:09AM

Hey John, my uncle was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a few months ago.

Because I had a melanoma removed 5 years ago and have since done lots of reading on treating cancer, I decided to offer him some advice. I don't think he took it though, rather he's been having radiation treatments and probably has not changed his diet. Some people are just too set in their ways, or just don't receive the right information with an open mind from a source they trust.

Nevertheless, here are some things I told my uncle and that you might want to tell your brother.

- Eat more leafy green vegetables!

- Eat more cruciferous vegetables, like kale and broccoli, which have compounds which selectively kill cancer cells, and also increase detoxification enzymes in the liver (helps remove carcinogens).

- Eat more pigment-rich berries and other fruits. Blackberries, wild blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, and pomegranates, etc all are rich in anti-oxidants that prevent cell damage and also have anti-cancer properties.

- Eat more mushrooms. Even the common button mushrooms have recently been shown to have immune-stimulating properties. The most potent medicinal mushrooms include maitake, shiitake, reishi, and agaricus blazei.

- Stop drinking alcoholic beverages. Alcohol weakens the lining of the esophegous and may have contributed to the cancer in the first place. Alcohol also weakens the immune system and increases cancer risk.

- Transition to a more healthy diet. This means getting most of your calories from raw fruits, vegetables, fresh nuts and seeds, and sprouts. I also think raw milk is ok in moderation.

- Does he have heartburn? If so, start transitioning to a balanced raw diet immediately, and keep meals as simple as possible (mono-eating is best). Chronic heartburn is known to lead to esophageal cancer.

- If he feels radiation treatments are necessary, try consuming chlorella before/after the treatments. Chlorella is rich in chlorophyll, and has been shown to protect mice from radiation damage.

- Get plenty of fresh clean air. Indoor air is often polluted and has too much CO2.

- Get plenty of fresh clean water and adequate sunshine.

- Get regular exercise. This is very important. Exercise stimulates the immune system, reduces stress, helps move nutrients into tissues, and wastes products out of tissues. Bike riding is good, plus dancing, and some strength-training (pushups, squats).

- There are some good natural products out there that can help boost the immune system and kill cancer cells. Of course, these are most effective if combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Here are some good ones:

ImmuneAssist by Aloha Medicinals is a blend of medicinal mushroom extracts, that are known for their anti-cancer properties. There's lots of research on these mushrooms, and they're are often prescribed in Japan as part of standard cancer treatment.
[www.alohamedicinals.com]

Olive leaf extract is deadly to many types of cancer cells:
[www.vitacost.com]

Berry blend and green tea extract - has anti-cancer properties:
[www.vitacost.com]

Chlorella as I mentioned above can protect against radiation damage if that route is taken.
[www.mountainroseherbs.com]

You can brew some neem tea. Neem is widely used in India to treat all kinds of infections and diseases, and has been shown to have anti-cancer compounds:
[www.mountainroseherbs.com]

There's lots of other anti-cancer herbs. If I had cancer today I'd probably try all of them smiling smiley Cancer is something you have to throw the book at. You can't just try one thing and forget about it.

----------------------------------------

You always here that "everything causes cancer" but mostly people don't realize that just about everything also FIGHTS cancer. All your vegetables and fruits, mushrooms, and nuts and seeds, and sprouts contain chemicals that cause cancer cells to self-destruct (apoptosis) or stimulate the immune system to attack and kill cancer cells. By just eating better, exercising and keeping up good spirits, and supplementing with some quality products, the cancer should stop growing and never come back. And when that happens it's important to continue with the healthy lifestyle or you'll be right back where you started.

Well that's it. I hope your brother gets better!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 23, 2006 05:13AM

I was reading this and realized that I had never heard of this type of cancer before and started wondering if it was caused by all those new drugs for heartburn. Those seem to have only been being pushed on TV for about 2-3 years (that I've noticed anyway).

I know how hard it is to talk to others about this diet because although you are excited by the possibilities of the diet, others seem to just think that you are criticizing them.

One thing you could do is just loan or give him books on the subject.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: November 24, 2006 01:36PM

i can't believe that no one here mentioned seaweed. Japanese Doctors and Naturopaths believe in it and use it. What do they know that you don't?

[www.naturodoc.com]

and, here's another link with some incredible cancer fighting options

[www.cancerfightingstrategies.com]

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: November 27, 2006 05:02PM

Thank you all so very much for all of your loving help and support. So many wonderful and useful ideas and suggestions. Thank you.

If it was me with the cancer ... I would be doing this stuff for sure ... and I would probably seriously consider a long dark green veg fast with lots of fresh air and rest / sleep as well etc etc.

The difficulty is ... it is not me with the cancer diagnosis. My brother is much older than me and very set in his ways. And I mean very, very set in his ways. (He has never even used a PC or the internet. I cannot even email him stuff). I do not live anywhere near him and he appears to be still somewhat in the "denial" stage. So at present it is still a shock and a bit surreal ... he feels it is all happening so fast.

I have to be very gentle and careful in what I say to him, and give him info as he is open to hearing it. Otherwise, the communication between us will stop (possible row if I push too much) and then ... well chances are that not only will he continue doing what he has always done ... but also he might die ... and my last words to him will possible have been a row. (Hhmmmm). Obviously I am trying to avoid that.

So the dilema is too find a few choice things that will not sound too wierd to him. Things that will seem more 'normal' to him and that he can easily do.

During my first tel conversation with him ... well he didn't even want to stop using his microwave oven. I am not sure that he has stopped in spite of me saying that it could probably cause cancer. So can you see ... this is not easy for me.

The raw food movement here in the UK is not like in the U.S. When I was a cooked vegan ... well I was seen to be very extreme. Even cooked vegetarian is not accepted by most of my relations ... let alone vegan (especially not by my brother). To tell my relations to try "raw" ... I might as well say become a "breatharian". Seriously ... I am not joking.

He does exercise and has always liked country walks of eg 6 - 7 miles. He is trying to get plenty of fresh air. At the moment I am trying to get him to eat plenty of fresh, raw fruit and veg of all the rainbow colours - especially dark greens. I am trying to get him to drink plenty of pure water (I have failed to get him to drink anything other than tap water ... this is very sad). I am trying to get him to get plenty of sleep and to stop the red meat. He loves his red meat and is very reluctant. (And believe me ... this is hard going).

At this moment he wants to do the normal medical route. He has been told that his cancer is operable and we are waiting to hear from his consultant and cancer team. It seems likely that he will have an operation and poss more.
If he is choosing to have an operation very soon, if offered, (within next 2 - 3 weeks I would imagine). I do not want to recommend anything that will make him weak or put a strain on any of his organs, just before major surgery. He is going to need to be as fit as possible (he is 60. Both of my parents died, within approx 4 mths of diagnosis, from the cancer they were diagnosed with in their 60's).

I have a very heavy heart. I am sadly having to realise that I might (in spite of all the knowlege that I have, and even though if he did these things he might live) have to watch my brother die. I think the stuff I can get him to do might just be far too little, far too late.

I think I need more help please.

Thank you all for your loving support.
John

Date: November 27, 2006 05:12PM

Sorry I meant to ask ... what things would help someone going through an operation?

I think zinc helps wounds heal. Is that right? I sometimes make pumpkin seed milk (I believe pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc). Is there any reason that this would not be good for him? I have mentioned this to him and he seemed open to hearing that. Not sure if I can get him to have any though and if so it would be with breakfast cereal or muesli.

He has problems swallowing. I am trying to get him to have fruit smoothies 30 mins before breakfast. I'm also trying to get him to consider having a large green salad before his other meals (not sure that he can eat it) or preferable juice dark greens. (He doesn't have a juicer).

What else would help prior to a cancer operation?
Thanks
John

Date: November 27, 2006 06:41PM

John said:
"Sorry I meant to ask ... what things would help someone going through an operation?"

Love. Just love him and be present with him. Support what he wants to do as best you can, even if it's not what you would choose. Respect his own innate wisdom to choose best for himself.

If he is open to alternative methods, share what you can with him. Many have been helped by the Dr. Schulze incurables program, or by going to living food centers, or on their own, or through zeolite, or other methods. And many have done those exact things and still died. And many have gone the straight medical route and be cured, too. Perhaps he will do that and be okay.

I hope you all get through this smoothely. All the best,

Posted by: jono ()
Date: November 27, 2006 10:11PM

John,

I'm not a big fan of juicing but in your brother's case, I think it might do him a lot of good.

You might try explaining to him in simple terms that it's well-known that fruits and vegetables prevent/fight cancer (even his doctor will admit this). And juicing is easy, especially if someone can make the juices for him (too bad you don't live nearby). I would include in the juices all different colors of fruits and veggies like dark leafy greens, purple cabbage, carrots, celery etc.

Another thing to remember is laughter. It's been said laughter cleanses the soul. You might want to send him some funny movies smiling smiley

Posted by: trumper ()
Date: November 27, 2006 11:19PM

Hi John,

Fighting against cancer is pointless. One hopeful way is to understand. There is a useful diagnosis and cure model in Germany called “German New Medicine” which prescribes the psyche-brain-organ connection of cancer and many other diseases. This model is scientifically approved (no falsification since more than 20 years) but not recommended for medical practice because of a ruinous business prognosis. The chance of recovery and permanent curing is the highest ever known.

Even though the most literature is in German language, you will find some information in English, French and Spain language.

[germannewmedicine.ca]
[germannewmedicine.ca]
[germannewmedicine.ca]

[www.newmedicine.ca]
[www.hbci.com]

It worked perfect for me.

trumper

Date: November 27, 2006 11:49PM

Trumper,

I browsed through the English versions of the links you posted but did not see anything about the treatment plans. Could you outline what exactly was done that cured you, how many treatments over how long a time period, and the costs?
Thanks!

Date: November 30, 2006 04:37PM

Thank you all so very much for all of your kind and appreciated postings. Some very useful advice.
John

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: December 01, 2006 01:13AM

There you are Marcos! Some of us had been wondering how you are doing!

I agree with the seaweed.

I hope your friend gets better, vegan john.
rawmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i can't believe that no one here mentioned
> seaweed. Japanese Doctors and Naturopaths believe
> in it and use it. What do they know that you
> don't?
>
>
>
> and, here's another link with some incredible
> cancer fighting options
>
>
>
> Peace,

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2006 10:49AM

I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis. I also have had several family members who have had cancer-- my grandfather died of metastatic colon cancer in 1976. Unfortunately, much of the good things we know of today wasn't heard of back then. There is a book that I bought that has inspired me to learn more about how to avoid cancer of any kind, but it also gives insight as to what natural supplements could possibly help your relative, whether or not he decides to do chemo/radiation or not. It encourages the reader to involve the oncologist right away with this type of supplementation therapy.I believe it is a must-read and will encourage him to fight a brave fight. "How To Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine" by Michael Murray. You can order through any bookstore. I hope this helps you and your family.

Date: December 05, 2006 04:28PM

Many thanks to you all for your support and thanks 'NewRawFoodie' for details of the book. I shall try to order it.

John

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 07, 2006 02:25PM

I am sorry about your brothers diagnosis. It's scary to hear your life is in jepoardy. I have a breast lump and I have an ultra sound in a few weeks and the thought that at my age of 24 they are going to tell me its cancer is mind bogaling to me. I don't even want to hear it. That is why I am going raw for the most part. My health has been most important to me after getting 2 lumps.
I hope he will be okay. I hear bean sprouts (a more powerful form of brocoli) are the biggest cancer fighting foods. I love them in sandwiches or sprinkled on a salad. They can be expensive almost $4.00 for a small container but the health benefits are worth it.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 07, 2006 04:13PM

many women have breast lumps; mostly they are benign. After I ate seaweed almost every day they dissapeared!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 07, 2006 04:44PM

trinity082482 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They can be expensive
> almost $4.00 for a small container but the health
> benefits are worth it.

Sprouts can also be one of the cheapest foods if you make them yourself!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: December 09, 2006 02:13AM

All the advice on this thread is excellent, but the most important thing to remember is that when a person receives the diagnosis of cancer, they are already bombarded with so much information, you just cannot imagine unless you have been through the process. And they have no other choice than to take all that information and make life altering decisions, with very little time to really think it over as much as they might want. So before John's brother even begins to think about alternative things he can do, he must first come to grips with all the treatment options and how he wishes to handle them. That alone is a full plate for him just now, and he might not want any other information, no matter how much any of us might think he needs it.

The hardest thing in the world is to watch someone you love suffer, especially when you think you know of something that might help, but in this case timing is everything. John's brother is an adult, and must listen to his own inner wisdom, whatever that may be.

At this point, the wisest thing to do is to just let the brother know that the information is right here. And then give him time. Listen to his side of what he is going through, and wait for him to ask for any outside opinions. He probably won't be ready to take charge of anything until the doctors are done with him. He might never want to take personal responsibility for his health. That is his right as an adult. He deserves to have that respected.

One thing that is by far more beneficial to a cancer patient than any dietary or health advise is a simple gesture of love. While the brother goes through this difficult time, please do anything you can to let him know you care and support him. Get the whole family involved if you can. THAT can really make a difference!

Trust me I know, I am a four year survivor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables