Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Easy To Digest Raw Foods
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: September 21, 2008 03:59AM

I'm still transitioning. I have gut motility disease and seem to do best with blended raw bananas/nectarines/pears/baby spinach.

I get super bloated and want to be careful about veggies. I know mushrroms are easy for me to digest. Any suggestions? Salad sometimes is painfully bloating.

Any suggestions? Is mostly frutarian bad?

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easy To Digest Raw Foods
Posted by: Choco ()
Date: September 21, 2008 05:59AM

Anne Wigmore's blending book is good for ideas on blended foods.

You might also consider making blended soups with some of the easier to digest veggies like spinach, carrots, zucchini, bibb lettuce, or butter letuce, mushrooms ( since they agree with you..) and some good quality, soothing fat like olive oil, tahini, almond butter or avocado with a pinch of sea salt. Gently warming the soup in your dehydrator will create an even greater grounding experience.

Dehydrating whole, cored apples stuffed with raisins till soft and warm is also good for digestively sensitive people. It mimics the concept of traditional baked apples without the nutrient depleting qualities of baking.

If you are used to eating grain, soaking and sprouting whole raw buckwheat and creating a buckwheat "porridge" that you heat in your dehydrator is also really tasty and easily digestible. You can even blend the buckwheat after it's sprouted ( and then dehydrate...) and eat as a creamy bowl of goodness. Add a pinch of sea salt, or add stevia if you like it sweet. Check out Nomi Shannon's "The Raw Gourmet" for a recipe idea.

If you are experimenting with eating nuts or seeds always remember to soak and sprout and dehydrate till dry. Soaking and sprouting really enhances the digestibility of nuts and seeds and is a must for people with illness or sensitivities.

And even though it is "raw", I would avoid using Nama Shoyu as a seasoning agent in anything you eat which is why I mentioned using sea salt. The wheat in the Nama Shoyu might be difficult for your system to process.

And try as closely as possible to practice good food combining whenever you eat to help your transition even more.

Hope this helps.

PEACE
Choco

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 21, 2008 03:51PM

The above suggestions are great. For those that are not 'sensitive' to fruit, the sugars in something like grapes or oranges is easily digested and absorbed, Melons are an excellent and mild way for many to enjoy a higher-water / higher-nutrient breakfast. Just some tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 21, 2008 05:34PM

Thanks!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: September 21, 2008 07:11PM

what is gut motility disease? This sounds very similar to what i am dealing with...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2008 09:09PM

food combining!

Date: September 22, 2008 02:47AM

I have this:
Gastroparesis literally means paralyzed stomach. It is a devastating condition that is fairly common among the diabetic population, although it can be caused by a number of other factors as well. Gastroparesis results in delayed emptying of food and liquid from the stomach. Once food is ingested, it often sits in the stomach for hours or even days because the stomach does not contract very well, if at all. Gastroparesis is one of the most difficult gastrointestinal disorders to treat. There are limited treatment options, but uncontrolled Gastroparesis can have serious consequences including malnutrition, dehydration, and weight loss. Many doctors know very little about Gastroparesis so often newly diagnosed patients do not understand their condition or the treatment options available to them.

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what is gut motility disease? This sounds very
> similar to what i am dealing with...
>
> love laugh and dream

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: September 22, 2008 02:48AM

I'm really new. I don't know what good food combinin is. I don't know what bad food combining is. But I hear there is good and bad. <shrug>?

coco Wrote:
> food combining!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 22, 2008 02:57AM

Date: September 22, 2008 03:18AM

google is your friend!
[www.internethealthlibrary.com]
that's a pretty detailed one.

Posted by: Choco ()
Date: September 22, 2008 04:08AM

Wendy,
If you pick up any reputable raw cookbook by more "old school" type raw foodists like Anne Wigmore ( mother of the raw movement) , Nomi Shannon, Jeremy Saffron, you'll usually see a food combining chart inside or a written page or two devoted to the basics of proper food combining. While someone could technically write out all the rules for you, its much better to have them on paper in front of you to read until you memorize it. Some raw web sites have food combining charts you can order and even magnets that you can hang on your fridge with all the details. It's like a litle flow chart once you get the hang of it. The RawGuru who used to be an avid poster here probably has one on his website or can direct you to someone who does. He's a super guy. rawguru.com

PEACE
Choco

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: September 22, 2008 12:27PM

How about tomatoes and cucumbers? I just peel the cucumber when I'm having digestive issues. But I've been on a real tomatoe kick lately and just can't get enough. Papaya is good too, basically anything soft and lots of green juices to replace those veggies. Just my two cents, I am nooooo expert.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 22, 2008 12:43PM

Simple mono meals are easier to digest.

Date: September 22, 2008 10:14PM

Thanks! I did a google search and got lots of hits for charts and printed one out, but I want to know WHY certain foods shouldn't be combined. I just need to know or it makes no sense to me, ya know? ...Someday I won't be a newbie LOL
'
coco Wrote:
> google is your friend!
> [www.internethealthlibrary.com]
> yle/food-combining-detailed-chart-b.htm
> that's a pretty detailed one.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: September 22, 2008 11:11PM

some things digest differently or at different rates than eachother and if they are all piled in there together the long digesting stuff can hold up the quick digesting stuff causing problems like fermentation. complicated meals can lessen the nutrients your body is able to absorb as well.

you don't have to food combine at all, i only mention it because you are having digestive issues and it can help. if it works for you, great, if not don't stress about it. try it maybe for one meal a day and see how you feel.

good luck!

Date: September 23, 2008 03:17PM

I will do that. I printed out my chart. I heard blending it doesn't matter and I have had no trouble blending pears, peaches, bananas, spinach, blueberries so far.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 23, 2008 03:58PM

Blending foods is really great. Brian Clement says its bad and 85% of the I forget.. are destroyed. Ann Wigmore had a blending foods recipe book and he took over her work.

Just letting you know what some raw food "experts " are saying, although
I think alot of the gurus prefer whole foods.

I think its great you are blending, and it works!! I have green smoothie every morning.

That is tough about your disease. Do you think raw foods can beat it? have you heard any stories??

Love Suvine

Date: September 23, 2008 05:43PM

i think blending can be helpful, as is juicing, for deigestions especially if you aren't chewing everything really, really well. it makes sure that everything is broken up into easily digested particles. so long as you are swishing it around in your mouth to mix it with your saliva instead of just guzzling it down. digestion starts in the mouth so the saying "drink your food and chew your juice" is a good one to follow.

that's a great looking salad suvine has in her post! mmm, sprouts...

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: September 24, 2008 12:45AM

Hello. Welcome to this board. I know that prescription meds are not the greatest. But I just started taking Creon, a prescription strength enzyme, for digestion issues that also are quite serious. It has helped my bowel function tremendously and I feel that I am metabolizing food for the first time in years. If you have insurance it might be worth checking out.

Date: September 24, 2008 02:23AM

Actually the diet for this disease is VERY low fiber HIGH simple carbs, as they are easier to digest. People that have this can get bezoars. This is undigested fiber that forms a ball like a cat hair ball. They have to be surgically removed. Some people are on feeding tubes because the can't ingest anything at all, some have pacemakers installed in their stomachs, and worse case some have their stomach removed entirely. The symptoms are severe bloating and stomach pain, uncontrollabe vomiting, nausea 24/7. There's more but those are the worst. Because most can't eat much they suffer malnutition. It's anorexia without nervosa. I went through this in the beginning.

I can eat fairly normal amounts of food the last year or so. My vomiting and nausea have lessened, but the bloating is still bad. My doctor wants me to still try to eat what I can. I'm going against the "norm" in the typical Rx'd diet because I believe raw will heal me. I feel I've been led to this way of life. Hey, I went #2 twice a day the last 2 days. My norm was once a week or less. Yippee!

Suvine I hope to BE a story!!!!!!!

suvine Wrote:
> That is tough about your disease. Do you think raw
> foods can beat it? have you heard any stories??
>
> Love Suvine

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: September 24, 2008 04:59AM

Just so you know, Creon is just digestive enzymes you can obtain from many other sources, also, it contains gelatin in the capsule, and the enzymes may be animal derived. Another way for pharma companies to make money...

Great that it helps you dancer, but think about other sources?

Amylase, Lipase, and Protease, you can get Enzymedica, or Source Naturals Enzymes, or some other VEGETERIAN enzyme supplement and just check the units and make sure they use good processing techniques.

That being said, eating enough whole organic ripe raw foods (esp fruits) and some greens, one potentially does not need enzymes, though they can still be useful in a cleanse / detox or particular condition for a length of time. IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 05:00AM by SatCitAnanda.

Date: September 25, 2008 11:52PM

I do take what is considered one of the highest potency enzymes with meals - Enzylase. It is not strong enough still. Creon is in a league of its own. Some people need more than store-bought enzymes.

Date: September 26, 2008 12:20AM

OK. I am revoking my suggestion. While I am not a vegan, I just read that Creon is pork-based. That totally grosses me out. I will just try to up my use of Enzylase. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck!

Posted by: jdc5390 ()
Date: September 28, 2008 12:36AM

I think you're cute and im glad theres cutie pie in every raw foodist. I myself have been eating raw for a two years now, i have not an ounce of fat on my body but yet managed to gain 10 pounds every year.Still growing however hopefully will reach 180 pounds. Eating raw has done me a wonder of change. From meeting beautiful ladies to meeting raw chefs and now im about to co-op in a Rawfood restaurants that will hit big-time in Boston. Hope you guys come by, all is welcome! Grezzo is the place to be, it means raw in Italian and is actually all raw sprouted organic foods that will leave you in raw paradise

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 30, 2008 08:28AM

i find plums really easy to eat and digest and they agree with me so well ..i just love plums smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables