Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Smoothies
Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 05, 2006 06:29PM

I just made a green smoothie that absolutely loved!

3 Kiwi's
1 Large Banana
Hand full of young spinach and water cress
3 Celery stalks
Water

Anyone else know any good ones?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Smoothies
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 05, 2006 06:32PM

My favorite one is:

2 pears
handful of raspberries
big handful of greens (kale or spinach)
water

YUMMY!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 05, 2006 08:48PM

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: December 05, 2006 08:52PM

Pineapple, papaya, coconut, dates and greens.

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: December 05, 2006 08:54PM

My current favorite so I can use fresh cranberries!!!!!!!!!

Juice;

1 whole cucumber
2 apples
1 lemon with peel

Blend juice with:

1/2 carton fresh cranberries
1 or 2 handfuls kale, spnach, or romaine
1/2 - 1 avocado
1 scoop Super Greens powder

Date: December 07, 2006 12:26PM

I have been replacing two of my meals a day with green smoothies the last few days. It's just so much faster to blend up a bunch of stuff and drink it.
My juicer doesn't get used anymore. It's just sitting in the corner. I just hate cleaning the thing, and green smoothies are so much healthier.
Perhaps I will use it occasionally when I need to juice things to add to the smoothie, but then I will need to clean the juicer and the blender jug!

Oh well, being very busy lately, green smoothies have helped me maintain rather than just grabbing some stupid micromave or take out food. I guess I never realized how good and convenient they could be.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 07, 2006 02:33PM

Wow. I dislike green smoothies very much but the recipes you guys listed sound yummy. Maybe I should give one a try? The pear one sounds really good grinning smiley

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 07, 2006 03:10PM

Lately I like green puddings better than the smoothies. I put everything in the Cuisinart, minus the water, and it comes out quite delicious. Yesterday's was 2 apples, 2 pears, a couple of dates, and a bunch of cilantro. Very easy and yummy.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: December 07, 2006 11:09PM

4 bananas
bunch of kale
a bit of water

mmmmmmm......

Posted by: veghead4life ()
Date: December 20, 2006 01:02AM

Ok everyone, what do you use to make the green smoothies with? I have a GreenStar juicer but I don't have a vitamix and i don't think my blender would do a good job?
veghead

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: December 20, 2006 11:25AM

veghead4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok everyone, what do you use to make the green
> smoothies with? I have a GreenStar juicer but I
> don't have a vitamix and i don't think my blender
> would do a good job?
> veghead

The Magic bullet

Great for individual quick smoothies.

The juicer attachment is a waste of time, just recycled that part immediately! the rest of the package is very useful, lots of mugs with lids for easy storage and convenient transportation when travelling.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2006 12:29PM

Is the The Magic bullet powerful enough for green smoothies, I thought it was only for fruit smoothies

Date: December 20, 2006 12:48PM

I would imagine that it is fine, greens arent exactly going to be hard on any blender, about the toughest green I use is celery. I just use a conventional blender though.

Date: December 20, 2006 06:03PM

To break down the cellulose in greens you need a high speed blender such as vitamix or total blender any blender cannot do it.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: December 22, 2006 12:13AM

I know that Victoria Boutenko recommends the vitamix in her book greens for life

I dont own a vitamix. I have a bullet and a kenwood smoothie maker. Although the kenwood makes short work of ice, it does not blend greens very well. It leaves lots of green bits that can not be broken down.

I don't know if the cellulose is broken down in the bullet to the same extent as it may be broken down by the vitamix, however, it looks and tastes the same as a green smoothie prepared in my friend's vitamix.

The bullet can only handle small amounts and it takes longer to process produce. It only cost me £20!

I will eventually purchase a vitamix,(a dehydrator and juicer were priority purchases) until then the bullet appears to be doing a fine job.

Date: December 22, 2006 12:05PM

My blender just seems to be a conventional blender, I have had green smoothies from a magic bullet and they are exactly the same. My blender doesn't seem to have any problems breaking down the greens, I don't get left with any bits in there at all.

Date: December 22, 2006 12:27PM

I would not use a conventional blender for greens. Magic bullet cannot do it.
The day you try a high speed blender you will see the difference.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 22, 2006 02:17PM

Is 1 blended green leaf equivalent to 10 leaves eaten in a salad?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 22, 2006 04:46PM

Nope. I would guess an average of 20% greater bioavailability for pureed v. whole based on how fiber reduces metabolizable energy. This would include kcals, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, etc. But there might be certain chemicals that were even more available, and some that were increased at less than 20%.

We don't have the full story. But nobody is going to get 10x as much energy from a blended leaf, that's just impossible.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: December 23, 2006 09:48PM

<<I would guess an average of 20% greater bioavailability for pureed v. whole based on how fiber reduces metabolizable energy.>>

Yes, maybe only 20% more bioavailability but before green smoothies I only ate maybe 3 small salads a week sometimes covered in dressings and croutons and other stuff but the beauty of the green smoothie is that now I eat probably the equivalent of 20 of those small salads a week without the croutons etc. and can make them with greens like kale which I would never tackle in a salad before discovering the benefits of eating raw.
And I can still enjoy a salad (without the SAD dressings now of course).

Dulset

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables