Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alcohol and the Holidays??
Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: December 18, 2006 12:24PM

I know that wine and vodka are not raw...but it was by bday this weekend and xmas and news years is comming. I must be realistic with myself and know I am going to drink.

I feel gross and depressed the next day and even indulge in cooked foods! I use to just take two asprins aftyer drinking and feel fine the next day but i don't do drugs anymore!!

Anyone know of a replacement for asprins or any other suggestions for the day after partying??

Thanks guys!! smiling smiley

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol and the Holidays??
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 18, 2006 12:33PM

Zeolite is supposed to be a good hangover cure, but taken before the event to absorb the toxins (not that I've tried that as I don't drink anymore).

It's not the rawness or not that makes alcohol unhealthy, some wine is actually raw but it's still alcohol!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 18, 2006 01:12PM

The biggest thing that makes you feel bad the next day is the dehydration, so rehydrate yourself.
I would probably just have green smoothies all day, those make me feel good anytime and really seem to hydrate me.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: December 18, 2006 03:02PM

Dear Jamie,

Please reread your own post.

You feel gross and depressed the next day.

Why would you want to do that to yourself? You deserve better! How about some fresh grape juice? It will give you a true, healthy high!

smiling smiley

Love,
Julie

Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 18, 2006 04:20PM

>>Anyone know of a replacement for asprins<<

how about white willow bark... it's the original aspirin. you can make a tea, or just grind it to a powder and eat it.

about the alcohol, i posted a research paper here a while ago... it was saying how ripe and over-ripe palm fruits (and probably other fruits) can have anywhere from 1% to 5% all the way to 8% alcohol due to the natural fermentation that takes place (yeast converts sugars to ethanol). To put that into perspective a typical beer is about 5% alcohol. The author proposed that our primate ancestors could have associated alcohol consumption with a nutritional reward, and that modern humans could be doing the same when they drink alcoholic beverages. theres even some evidence, still being debated, that low-level alcohol consumption is beneficial to health when compared to heavy and non-drinkers. personally, i only drink a few times a year at social gatherings, and i try not to have more than a couple drinks.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 18, 2006 07:10PM

jamied1217 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know that wine and vodka are not raw...but it
> was by bday this weekend and xmas and news years
> is comming. I must be realistic with myself and
> know I am going to drink.

You are right about vodka, which (if made properly) isn't even Vegan (vodka is filtered through charred animal bones), but you might be happy to know that wine (if made properly) is a raw vegan drink.

> I feel gross and depressed the next day and even
> indulge in cooked foods! I use to just take two
> asprins aftyer drinking and feel fine the next day
> but i don't do drugs anymore!!

Alcohol is a depressant, so the depressed feeling is a normal side effect of alcohol - I find it's important to only drink when celebrating something, drink for happy reasons, rather than sad/cheer-your-self-up reasons.

> Anyone know of a replacement for asprins or any
> other suggestions for the day after partying??

Not really. I try to drink lots of water the party night to stay hydrated.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 18, 2006 08:32PM

Heck, I need to drink a lot of alcohol around the holidays just to survive being around certain family members!

Just teasing....sort of......

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2006 06:10AM

I have been bringing my own...Kombucha to parties! And people have been curious and tasting it and some of them even liking it. It gives a light energizing buzz sans hangover and cooked food binges that come with.

Kicking liquour was definately the last vital step to going all raw...but once again it's personal...but don't keep old habits if it ain't working...happy holidays and GL!

Posted by: Gurkan82 ()
Date: December 20, 2006 12:16PM

what is kombucha?

Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: December 20, 2006 12:29PM

How about Kombucha with a shot of VoDkA!!!

Just Kidding!!
Thank you for your posts guys. You have helped alot.
I guess i still drink out of depression sometimes and that is no good!

New Year. . .New Beginning!

Love you guys! smiling smiley

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: December 20, 2006 04:59PM

kava is a great replacement for alcohol

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2006 06:02PM

Kombucha is a Japanese fermented tea with many touted benefits. The fermentation gives it I think a .5% or something ridiculously tiny alcohol content. It definately gives a mild buzz though, so that's fun. Diff. flavors and types can be found at Erewon (West Hollywood), Whole Foods or Wild Oats.

Date: December 20, 2006 06:55PM

Kava is also addictive and can lead to health problems and side effects (just like everything else) if abused/over-used.

Kombucha seems to be the alcoholic drink for those don't drink alcohol. ;-)

Ian.

Date: December 20, 2006 08:20PM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
> Kava is also addictive and can lead to health
> problems and side effects (just like everything
> else) if abused/over-used.

Do you have any more info on this? Websites, reports, etc?

I have a friend who takes Kava and thinks it's wonderful stuff, I've not tried it myself yet, but will do as soon as I can get hold of some (it's not legal to sell it over here in England).

thanks

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: December 22, 2006 11:43PM

Hi Rob,

interestingly enough, there seems to be a log of website claiming that Kava Kava is an addiction free alternative to alcohol (of course they seem to be selling Kava Kava as well). I did most of my kava kava research/experimentation 5+ years ago and the information I found more a long the lines "here's the effects, here's the negative side effects if you use too much", now things seem more marketing based.

Here's one introducing the age restrictions on kava kava use:
[www.news.vu]

Another on Kava Kava abuse:
[www.health.gov.au]

And just for the sake of balance, he's some people selling it and not telling you about the problems you can develope:
[www.nakamalathome.com]

Hope that helps.
cheers,
Ian.

Date: December 23, 2006 12:12AM

Hi Ian

None of those sites suggest Kava is addictive.

Here is a site (not selling kava) saying that it isn't addictive:
[members.shaw.ca]

And this one says "Kava addiction is still under question however studies show there is no evidence of addictive potential."
[www.yourhealth.com.au]

(Ps I know nothing about kava and have not yet taken it.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: GoneGreen ()
Date: December 23, 2006 02:17AM

Right before you go too sleep drink a lot of water, allways worked 4 me and outhers.
Allso use water for mix, not never pop.

Posted by: monson ()
Date: December 23, 2006 05:14PM

sodoffsocks Wrote:

> You are right about vodka, which (if made
> properly) isn't even Vegan (vodka is filtered
> through charred animal bones), but you might be
> happy to know that wine (if made properly) is a
> raw vegan drink.

most wine isn't vegan. i only tried to find vegan wine once and i remember it being a hassle. this was several years ago so things might have changed a little.

from [www.askcarla.com]

Popular animal-derived fining agents used in the production of wine include blood and bone marrow, casein (milk protein), chitin (fiber from crustacean shells), egg albumen (derived from egg whites), fish oil, gelatin (protein from boiling animal parts), and isinglass (gelatin from fish bladder membranes). Thankfully, there are several common fining agents that are animal-friendly and used to make vegan wine. Carbon, bentonite clay, limestone, kaolin clay, plant casein, silica gel, and vegetable plaques are all suitable alternatives.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 23, 2006 06:45PM

i have some kava if you want to try it...

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 23, 2006 07:03PM

plus.. i have an xmas party tonight but don't feel like going cos i know there's gonna be a lot of drinking going on. but i haven't seen these friends for such a long tim,and they are lovely. but they still behave like teenagers who have just discovered drinking and think it's cool! if i go i will have a drink. but at least my friend who is having a new years party is not drinking either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables