Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Persimmons!
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: October 23, 2006 03:26PM

Hooray, the store I shop at finally had some. I have never eaten them before, so how do I eat them? Eat the skin and all? And are they just really soft when they are ripe?

Thanks!

Kim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Persimmons!
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 23, 2006 03:43PM

You can eat the skin but it depends on what variety whether the skin is tough or not. They will get soft and squidgy when they are ripe. Mmm, I'm off to Spain tommorow and sure to be getting some fresh persimmons (or Kaki's are they are known over there)

ROb

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: October 23, 2006 03:53PM

if they have pointy bottom(hachiya), let it get soft and mushy
if its a flat bottom(fuyu), eat it soft or hard and crunchy

Date: October 23, 2006 04:12PM

It is the hachiya type. I ate one a few minutes ago and it was delicious!! The skin wasn't tough at all, so I ate it. Yum! I have never had one before. That was tasty.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 23, 2006 09:29PM

Persimmon is my favourite! I eat it all (minus the seeds). I like it so much that I planted one in our garden and plan to have some more.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: brome ()
Date: October 23, 2006 09:47PM

With the Hichiya let it ripen till quite soft. Cut in half. You will see clear and cloudy sections. The cloudy part is still unripe. Leave out in the air on the counter for a few days till it all becomes clear. The exposed part will dry nicely. This not only ensures full ripeness but improves the flavor over one left to ripen without air exposure.

When quite soft put in the freezer. When you thaw it days or months later it will be of excellent flavor and ripeness.

Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: November 09, 2006 06:23PM

Does anyone know a place that I can order persimmons from? Online or by phone? I really love them but they're $2 a piece here (Charleston, SC) and I'd love to get a bunch of them!!!

Also, I'm interested in trying a sopadilla...I read about them today in Living Nutrition Magazine!

~Jessica

Date: November 09, 2006 07:11PM

My husband just found a persimmon tree out by us when he was hiking the other day! It was in the middle of nowhere. So he picked a bunch of them for me and brought them home. They are so good.

What's a sopadilla? Never heard of those before. Is it the same as a "sopapilla"?? Just teasing.

Date: November 11, 2006 02:49PM

I spelled it wrong! It's sapodilla smiling smiley

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: November 11, 2006 05:29PM

here are a couple of farms that offer persimmons by mail order:

Beck Groves: [www.localharvest.org]
Fentiman Farms: [fentimanfarms.com]

Date: November 11, 2006 05:52PM

i found a wild persimmon tree on a hike a couple of days ago! the fruits were perfectly ripe, right off the tree...soft and candy sweet! here's a photo of the ones i brought home:

Date: November 13, 2006 09:07PM

Thank you, macfly!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:34AM

Hey, I live in Philadelphia, pa. Where around my area can I purchase good persimmons?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 14, 2006 04:54AM

I love Hachiya, the long ones, when they are so soft, like pudding! then its the sweetest thing ever, they are at the grocery store now all hard, can't wait..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2006 04:55AM by coconutcream.

Date: November 15, 2006 04:33PM

macfly, those persimmons look exactly like the ones my husband brought home form his hike last week. I made the mistake of eating one before it was ripe...that was nasty!

Date: November 15, 2006 11:11PM

yes -- there were a few here and there on the tree that weren't quite there yet. in my excitement at finding the tree i was gathering them rapidly and eating 'em out of hand. i bit into one that hadn't fully ripened; i slowed way down after that!

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 17, 2006 07:41AM

My breakfast this morning...

Maru Chocolate Persimmons... Brown on the inside... Sweeter than normal persimmons with a unique flavor.. For me the flavor is between a chocolate sapote / Chico Sapote and Persimmon... YUMMMMM!!!

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: December 30, 2006 06:33AM

i like to eat them crisp like apples.... the fuyu ones i believe they are called..... and common to the Americas.......

the others are japanese hytachi i think they are called...... never knew you could buy them bulk on line... but i SHOULD have known better...

tiff n twins

Posted by: SlimLadyRunner ()
Date: December 30, 2006 01:29PM

I personally prefer the fuyu persimmon which are crispier.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: December 31, 2006 06:47AM

HIYA!

Boy, I can add a few things here. First, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned clearly the horrible horrible astringency of a hachiya if it's not completely ripe. God awful. But a couple of you, I think, aluded to the astringency.

Next, the spelling is hachiya.

The fuyus and the hachiyas, my understanding goes, are both Japanese names. Fuyu translates as winter, in Japanese. I don't know the translation for hachiya.

I am living in South Korea at the moment and have been loving persimmons for a couple of months now. The season will last another month or so I guess. I've been fasting for a week or more so haven't been to the store for quite some time. I don't know if the hachiya are still around but they're my fave too. Love the dried hachiyas as well. I've seen dried fuyu persimmons at an organic farmer's market in Oakland or Berkeley California many years ago. Very nice also.

Recently I had six persimmons for breakfast and felt pretty full. Really full. It was then that I started to wonder about them. So I looked around online and saw a few places that said that some people have a hard time digesting the fiber. Another site advised to peel the skin as it's hard for many people to digest. The ones I had that morning looked like fuyus (the flat bottom) but were soft like a baby's bottom! Fabulous - every bite. I've cut way back on them though.

I wonder why many fuyus have that black color underneath that crown on top. Looks like mold, sort of. But it doesn't smell like mold. I always cut it away just the same. A Korean friend says it's not mold but I still wonder.

Anyone ever tried eating the seeds? I have read they make a great substitute for coffee after roasting the seeds but don't care to try it myself. I'm wondering if the seeds are edible raw.

One last thing. I will return to the US next year, probably to California. Anyone know if those wild persimmons grow in California? Wouldn't it be nice ....

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 31, 2006 06:50AM

I used to eat the fuyus pretty firm and crispy but lately I've learned to let them go until they get mushier and they are even YUMMIER!!!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: December 31, 2006 06:07PM

down in the south where i have lived MOST Of the "wild" trees i have seen growing are the fuyus......

i'm not sure how long they have been here, but almost everywhere i go to the farmers markets that have them.... they are fuyu..... i wonder when they got here? were they here before we were?

kinda cool if someone just brought one from japan and they spread like this...... i love mother nature......

we need a johnny persimmon seed....

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 02, 2007 04:16PM

I read yesterday that the persimmons in the US got there from, I think it was China.

Tiffany, maybe you can be a Tiffany Persimmon Seed. I do this with vegetable seeds. Especially in my semi-wild garden. It's great fun to toss seeds around and see what comes up. But spreading seeds around in the general vicinity of the origingal plant or tree is fun too.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 02, 2007 11:48PM

did I say I love persimmons? i think I did. I love them. MM

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 03, 2007 01:44AM

Hello smiling smiley

Newb here... (tho' a longtime lurker) and I have to say that I just
ate my first persimmon and it was fantastic! Having read the chat about
them here in the last few days I thought it would be a great way to kick
off my transition to raw foods living. So picked up a couple today at
Whole Foods...wow! just a bit expensive though...$2.50 a piece. But
that first one was definately worth it. Will save the other for tomorrow
and checkout the prices for them in Chinatown...probably cheaper?

Thanks for a great forum...I know it's gonna help as I start to become
more raw.

Cheers smiling smiley
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables