Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you deal with all the contradicting information?
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: January 09, 2007 02:31AM

I am trying to make the transition to raw and am doing well... but I am having a hard time dealing with all the conflicting information I receive from all the different sources.

One book I read says to eat as much fruits as possible..fruits are great. So I have been eating tons of fruits. But Hippocrates Institute advises to only eat 15% fruits due to a dramatic increases in sugar from hybridization and even suggests avoiding certain fruits that are too high in sugar altogether (such as dates).

My raw transition has been mostly on fruits so I am a bit frusterated.

When you are starting out how do you know where to begin? How do you pick one theory and stick to it without being swayed by other conflicting information? Is it just a matter of trial and error?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you deal with all the contradicting information?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2007 03:52AM

Mostly trial and error, yeah.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Most people know what they're talking about (including myself) only about 50% of the time (some more like 5 or 10%). Keep that in mind and realize everyone's got a system to defend.

There are some things universally agreed upon (organic lettuce is a more nutritious snack than a Little Debbie cake for example) start with those (and even then, test for yourself so you really KNOW and don't just have to believe) and then work up.

You have to test everything, that's just the way it is. You only truly know your own experience.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 09, 2007 04:02AM

My opinion:

That's like saying there's a lot of conflicting information on exercise! Ha! ha! I should run....I should lift weights....I should do Yoga......

-These things are just tools. If you are looking for the ONE correct exercise program - there isn't one. If you are looking for the ONE correct dietary regime - there isn't one.

-My suggestion is to eat a very wide variety in the beginning and stay full...and consistently happy with your level of raw. Later, you can choose to set higher goals....and pick days where all you eat is ONE kind of fruit or vegetable......to get a better feel for where you are at on your journey: i.e., whether you react better to mostly greens/vegetables....or whether you react better to mostly fruits.

-If you are going by scientific advice, then I would pick the one that seems most sound to you....and you have researched...and pursue it.

-ANY path can teach you what you need to know - if you pursue it with great consciousness. Don't you think?

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 09, 2007 05:28AM

I had a pretty easy time choosing fresh fruits early in transition, because that's what felt right to me. If I tried eating too many veggies, nuts, nut butters..it would just make me think that this is hard to do. So I stuck with mostly fruits and now that I'm going back on raw foods..it's fruits my body wants.

Of course I was and then am now again addicted to sugary things..so maybe the fruits are a good start because they are sweet, but also have fiber and water. Once my body gets back to being somewhat clean and used to mostly if not 100% raw foods, then young greens, green juices, fruits smoothies are always a nice change. I've always eaten least of nuts, nut butters, seeds, seed butters, dates, or other dried fruits. And I've never gotten used to raw food recipes..too complex for me yet.

I'd say, keep reading lots of different books on raw, try some different things, but only you will get to know your body and it's needs.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 09, 2007 07:46AM

Hi minou33,

you are doing very well! Do not let nonsensical arguments kill your natural instinct to eat your optimal food (fruit). Some inspiring stories, in case you have not read them yet:

[www.rawschool.com]
[www.rawhealing.com]
[www.raw-pleasure.com.au]

Fruitfully,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 09, 2007 10:51AM

David:Good advice,

I think Knowledge IS the key.
In order to gain it one should READ AND Practice.
not 1 book, but AS MANY As he/she can find.

Personally i LOOK at person, what profit for /him her comes out of it, and whether i CAN Confirm it using Logic, My Brain, and simple experiments to be performed at home smiling smiley
like sprouting, frying fat(and trying to remove the debris it leaves after a couple of years of using it..is similare what happens inside of us acid+fat)

How person feels when doing something IS VERY important, but some parts of us ARE HABITS, emotions, etc, so not always at the beginning You can trust THAT smiling smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: January 09, 2007 12:36PM

I agree with Narz. Trial and Error.

Everyones body is different so you will have to listen to yours...the hardest is to understand what it is saying...but this will come in time.

I am a runner and do Bikraam yoga 5 days a weak so my body cries for carbs! I am a date junkie and proud of it!

For a while I was a gourmet raw food junkie but everynight I went to sleep crying because my body was to bloated sad smiley So I realized that I can't have to many flax seeds.

The best advice: be patient and go what feels right. Good Luck!!

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: January 09, 2007 02:03PM

If there was evidence that couldn't be questioned there wouldn't be anymore science on that subject so the bottom line must be that people in reality don't know - or we interpret the information wrong.

Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: January 09, 2007 08:40PM

Read, read, read, read, and read more. You are the only one at the end of day who can tell what works for you. But read only the best!

Blissed be,

Annie

Posted by: samina ()
Date: January 09, 2007 10:59PM

yep, experiment, keep things simple, and eat what makes you feel good.

is there anything under the sun that *can't* be argued? feels healthiest of all to be at peace with one's own choices...

Posted by: FirstGarden ()
Date: January 10, 2007 12:42AM

The world is confusing in outgrowth, but often simple at the roots.

"In the abundance of counselors there is safety."
Proverbs
You know it makes me want to cry, cry, cry -

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 10, 2007 08:47AM

I heard of raw food diet years ago. No amount of reading was going to convince me to try it and I had counter arguments for every argument. Then, one day I decided to have an experiment and started eating raw. What finally convinced me was how I felt. This is how I determine now what works for me. Thankfully, my senses only get more and more sensitive on raw, as they do for many other raw foodists. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: January 10, 2007 11:18AM

Trust my intuition.
The more I trust, the easier it becomes!

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 10, 2007 01:20PM

rraw

I agree, facts are the same, but Interpretation is diffrent.

100%

but if there is a scale set, by which things are to be measured, than interpretations and how things appear start to match, and subjective things do not get in way of interpreting as much. Truth emerges...

samina

I think there is something one can't argue with. It's health. As much as it is with disease.
No arguments if somebody feels great, happy, full of energy,

.. and no arguments if somebody cannot enjoy life, as healthy people do.

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables