Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Too much energy!?!
Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: January 12, 2007 01:10AM

I have recently cleaned up my diet after eating a little cooked and ditching my chocolate craving by adding a little more fat to my diet in the form of avocados nuts and seeds.

Even though i was high raw my energy levels have increased dramatically, so much that i have not had a nights sleep for over five days.

It may sound crazy but although i have lots of energy i feel mentally exhausted.
My concentration is poor, coordination isn't brilliant, yet i feel calm, relaxed and have so much energy.

When I try to sleep, I either just get restless or nap for about 15 mins wake up and cant get back to sleep.
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when i juice fasted.

Daily intake
Am
pint green based juice - Spinach, celery, cabbage with carrot, apple lemon and sometimes a little fresh ginger root

mid day
Green smoothies

evening
salad with avocado, or nut pate flax crackers

I also snack on fresh fruit (usually bananas, oranges pineapple mangoes or apricots)
or veggies in between meals if I'm hungry,
I drink plenty of water.

I ate a small baked sweet potato this evening to see if it would make a difference.
That was six hours ago but i still feel like my batteries are fully charged!

I really need to sleep. My brain needs a rest!
This is such a weird experience

Anyone else experienced this or explain what may be happening?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too much energy!?!
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 12, 2007 01:44AM

This is very interesting. Could it relate in any way to overeating (assuming that no stimulants are consumed)?

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 12, 2007 03:39AM

From my experience, once I was on raw foods, spices and condiments had a very pronounced effect on my body versus when I was eating cooked foods. Are you using any of the following substances (including raw versions of): salt, pepper, garlic, onion, vinegar, shoyu, miso, or other spices and condiments?

When I quit those substances, quit putting them in my salad dressings and using them to make my vegetables taste better, I had a huge detox, one that lasted for several months. Afterwards, my health had increased so much.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 12, 2007 04:42AM

Hi Lorretta,

I have this problem sometimes, infact, I had it very resently. I solved the problem by getting up in the morning and going for run. By evening my energy levels are waaaay more balanaced.

I normally run as part of my daily routine, but for most of december the weather put me off running and got out of the habbit. By January the energy over load caught up with me and I was barely getting any sleep. I'd just go to bed and close my eyes so my eyes and body got some rest, then get up - if I was lucky I'd drift off for an hour or two.

Three days ago I started running again and straight away things got better and I'm getting caught up on the sleep I've been missing out on. Soon I'll be back to normal.

Sleep dep. if fun, but only if you do it once in a while.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 12, 2007 06:35AM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ian. Maybe I'll give morning jogging a try! I too have a similar situation with lots of energy at night when it's time to sleep!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 12, 2007 11:49AM

-When I quit caffeine, and was transitioning....for about 6 months I would have huge energy swings. Sometimes I would be exhausted for no reason.....and be falling asleep.....other times I would have huge energy....or nervous energy....and not sleep for sometimes days. What are you going to do? NOT eat healthy? Ha! ha!

-Regulate your own detox....accept symptomology......and accept what comes. If you have excess energy, exercise well during the day - or get a part time job! LOL. I can almost promise you that you'll be mentally and physically tired!

-Power & success to you!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 12, 2007 12:17PM

Maybe try some kind of herbs to help you relax. Recently I tried Ashwagandha (which is used in Ayurvedic medicine) and it really relaxed me and I slept really well.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: January 12, 2007 12:30PM

Thanks for your replies

Gosia

I see your point, that looks like a lot of food!
I make sure that i have a light breakfast, after that i only eat if i feel hungry so i don't snack every day.

Bryan
I'm still eating spring onions, a little pepper corn and fresh ginger root.
maybe its time to let go of these foods and move on!
I have cleaned up my diet, but need to take it further.

Maybe on some level, if I'm totally honest with myself i'm not quite ready to face or deal with the detox that may follow my decision!

I have had two major detox on raw in the past two years, both of which i never saw through to the end.
I reverted back to eating some cooked which led me back to severe IBS.

I will just have to find the courage and time to let go and see the healing process through this time as i feel a bit stuck..
Cant go backwards, afraid to go forward!

sodoffsocks

I agree with your comments on exercise,

I have been sticking to a little gentle yoga and long walks with my dog.
Probably been too gentle with myself during this transitional period!

You are right. I do need to work off some of this excess energy.
I havnt been able to get it together.

I just don't feel like running at the moment. I'm concerned about injury as my coordination and concentration is just all over the place.
I have a large trampoline in the garden, I will go and bounce on that! LOL!

Thanks again for your replies
I appreciate your comments.

You have helped me look at where I am and where I need to go!

Blessings
Lorretta

Date: January 12, 2007 12:38PM

davidzanemason
Maybe quitting the chocolate is having an affect on the energy swing.
I am raising my exercise level
I do have a full time job!

Funky Rob

Ashwagandha, I will bear that in mind thankyou.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 12, 2007 02:21PM

Loretta

Good thing You've wrote Your daily intake"' winking smiley

Let me give You a couple of pointers, > mistakes, that you make from a human bio-cycle standpoint, which greatly contribute to your problems, if not completely responsible for energy/detox things.

1. Eating protein in the morning is undesired, and not effective:
body acidity in the morning is on a alkaline side: DISABLING body from digesting and assimilating of proteins.
Proteins require LOTS of energy in order to change them into usable elements, also: it is a very poor source of "quick energy", rather requiring, than giving it to/from our body

Only SIMPLE SUGARS Are effectively digested, assimilated and used for energy before NOON.
Proteins are needed for REBUILDING of cells, which can only be done during sleep, at night(from 10 pm till 4 am.)

2. WATER. You've mentioned of drinking large quantities of water and snacking on fruits, in between meals. !!VEEeeery BAD.

Let me explain a little WHY: it'll be in simple language, so don't look for scientific numbers, or accuracy greater than 30 minutes. Here it goes:

* Digestion of Fruit takes about 2 hours, and drier the fruit, the more water is required during process: * ONLY Sweet fruits before noon, and if desired acidic(kiwi..) afternoon * Sweet is being digested in alkaline environment, Acidic in ACID env.

If You drink ANY water within 2 hours !! you will STOP digestion processes, and start ROTING processes. all enzymes, stomach acids are NOT Only being diluted, They are being: WASHED OUT from stomach, and absorbed by small intestine. Food without enzymes, undigested, or mixed with different kind(requiring different PH environment to be digested) can only be digested by Bacteria, parasites, fungus.)

* Digestion of Proteins / Fats Takes about 4 - 5 hours !!, therefore drinking/eating anything different within of 4 hours after meal renders it UNUSABLE A N D TOXIC to Your body.!

* Proteins require acidic environment NATURALLY Occurring in human body AFTERNOON, making: digesting fruit MUCH HARDER..

Of course if a person eats only fruit, than PH Swings, are not as big, or crucial, and body adopts to alkalizing your stomach WITHOUT Need for calcium from your own bones(..)

2 words that can explain more/ or solve your problems without need for understanding all chemical processes ARE: Dr. GRAHAM [www.foodnsport.com] winking smiley
Well, also Dr.Young has the PH part covered EXCEPTIONALLY WELL.
[www.phmiracleliving.com] is his website have a read smiling smiley

SO:WHAT TO DO?:

1. drink/ eat ONLY watery SWEET Fruit in the morning/ afternoon.
2. drink 30 minutes BEFORE the MEAL!
3. less you mix(mono diet) more efficiently your body utilizes/processes food = more energy, less swinging PH trying to adjust to different ingredients in your meal.

For speeding up detox I recommend drinking around 1 Qt(2-4 glasses) of hot Water.Just like TEA, Without a teabag winking smiley before each meal.

6am.morning. :Fruit

12am.Noon. meal should include fruit if more energy is needed, and "light" salad, neutral as for PH "digesting" needs. containing more natural water.

6pm.dinner: more protein, fats that naturally are being digested at acidic PH in our body.
Last meal no later than 6 pm.

Try that for a couple of days, and see if anything will stabilize/change.

snacking "IS" allowed ONLY If it is the same fruit, eaten separately.

If no dried fruit are being digested, and fresh, rape, watery instead,.. With proper food combining NO Water needs to be drank normally.
Unless it is VERY HOT, and we eat to much of sweet stuff smiling smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 12, 2007 02:38PM

I haven't been sleeping very well either just the past few days. I didn't eat for one day a few days ago. Decided to do this once a week since finishing a 10 day cleanse. The day after I stopped the cleanse and ate a moderate amount of food, no sleep that night and no lethargy or rotten rundown feeling either. Then a few days ago, breaking the one-day cleanse (I take bamboo salt so I don't call it a fast) I ate some food and had so much energy again, I couldn't sleep. But this time it didn't feel so good. Last night too, took so incredibly long to get to sleep. And I meditate twice a day, walk a lot for exercise and digestion, don't eat a lot of calories during the day, and don't eat after 6pm most days (though I did last night and that was disastrous).

I can't say that meditation helps my sleep, I know that a lot of people say it does help them. So I pass this on because I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: January 12, 2007 03:06PM

Yes - whenever I do 100% raw or very close. I def get that - it's awesome but weird at the same time.

You know what I think it is? Because there are people in the world who have tons of energy even on cooked food..... I think it's that our lifestyles/jobs/activities/exercise levels aren't in step yet with our new-found energy levels.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 12, 2007 03:25PM

1.consequence

.. they "combine food" WELL.:
If they make mistakes: THEY REPEAT IT: body stabilizes, and in order to fight mistakes, body releases tons of energy: robbing body of health:

Such people often do burn out, unless, their intuition makes them "recover" in a very efficient way.. than still not more than 20 years can they go after starting to develop various diseases.

i made experiment, i eat a LOTS OF FAT .. going a little toward ATKINS diet idea .. and..:

IT WORKS.

WHAAAT??!!!

Yes, if You acidify your body, provide NO SUGAR AT ALL(in a simple form), provide water.. than..:
I've been able to go 24 hours NOT EATING ANYTHING Full force, drinking only water.
That is, normally i do mono fruit, plus water if i eat raisins, dates..

I've had ONE ! big meal, late at night, sesame raw oil with little lentils, little lemon.., and NO FRUIT!..
had a lots of power, no hunger.. but MIND, that there are nex t o NO!! vitamins, so acidifying your body, eating no fruit, in order to digest fats effectively.

Many people ended up in hospital, but who wouldn't after eating NO organic vitamis, and consuming only pure energy!?
Tons of water are needed in order to turn fat into usable energy.

As opposite to simple sugar found in fresh ripe fruit. Water content allows for PERFECT digestion, assimilation and usage of energy contained within.. smiling smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Date: January 12, 2007 04:43PM

Witarianin
Thanks for your comments
lots of info for me to look at.

The daily intake that i posted was just given to offer a brief idea of what im eating based on the past couple of days. just a quick off the cuff sample!
If i had been reading my post, i would question the persons general diet.

I do food combine ,so am aware of leaving time for adequate assimilation.

I am aware that water dilutes the stomach contents so make sure that i take water before meals.

I drink water because i am thirsty not because i feel i should. I rarely drink anything but water.

I dont eat dried fruits. I do mono eat if i feel like it rather than juice or make green smoothies.
i juice my greens in the morning because this is the most convenient time for me to do so. maybe i could look at changing this.

TroySantos
Im not meditating at the moment. I thought about it but just havnt made the time to do it. Thanks. Im sure it will help.

sunshine79
Your right it is' awesome but weird at the same time'

Its hard to explain, like some kind of waking trance with extreme heightened senses and a deep connection to nature.

I like your theory that we are not in step with our new found energy levels.
Thats exactly how it feels for me!

I sort of want to burn the energy off so that i feel more comfortable yet i also think that it may be there for a reason and as i dont know what that reason is yet i just dont want to waste it.

I am juggling so many ideas at the moment about whats going on for me and what step to take next, thats probably causing the mental exhaustion!!!!LOL

I had two hours sleep last night
Im feeling ok with it all, I just have to be aware and focus when im driving my car or operating machinery etc!

Thanks for all your comments
I really appreciate them.
Is fantastic to be able to communicate with people who actually have an understanding of what Im talking about.
I so appreciate this forum and the people who take the time to post here.

Blessings
Lorretta

Date: January 13, 2007 02:06AM

Driving! Any way around this? Man. There are so so many people on the road who are dangerous yet get regular sleep. Please .... For yourself as well as for everyone else. Your calm and relaxed, that's good. But you're mentally exhausted, your concentration is poor and your coordination is great. Please don't die on the road.

"It may sound crazy but although i have lots of energy i feel mentally exhausted.
My concentration is poor, coordination isn't brilliant, yet i feel calm, relaxed and have so much energy."

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Re: Too much energy!?!=opportunity
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: January 13, 2007 07:14AM

Even if you don't sleep; you can rest, (especially your mind)
I learned this at a meditation retreat
Lie completely still, follow your breath with all your attention
when you get caught up in thoughts return to your breath,
Tell yourself at the start, that you are making
good use of this special opportunity to learn
concentration and bring more equanimity into your
life and world.
Doing this will calm your exhausted mind.

you can learn more about meditation at:
[www.shinzen.org]

I hope that during the day, the other good posts here help.

Yogic alternate nostril breathing will balance your energy,
and may be very calming...
A web search will provide info. it's quite doable.

And finally easiest of all, simply lying down and and breathing
fully, slowly, and very smoothly...
while counting silently and slowly, starting at one again after each change
so that you gradually make the in-breath and out-breath the same length is calming.

start with whatever length of breath is comfortable
gradually lengthen slightly without straining
as you make sure the breath feels like it's going all the way down
into the belly
when you find the place where it's even deep and smoothly rhythmic
with no strain, continue, as you enjoy the sensation of being
massaged from the inside out.

I hope that the other good posts here help, with the physical aspects.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: January 13, 2007 07:17AM

PS: I know it's relaxing but
whatever you do, don't fall asleep while meditating ! !

Date: January 13, 2007 01:15PM

Why not fall asleep while meditating? I never have but I've never read or heard about it being detrimental or dangerous either. During my first meditation retreat in Thailand many years ago the nun there said it's not a problem if you fall asleep. But she wasn't talking about danger or anything. Just that if the meditator doesn't intend to go to sleep while meditating, then there's no "blame" or anything of this sort. I'm curious about this warning to not fall asleep while meditating. Or, are you joking?

Date: January 13, 2007 01:16PM

Ah. I clicked the post message button and got enlightened! Of course it was a joke! Ha ha tee hee!!

Date: January 13, 2007 01:52PM

TroySantos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Driving! Any way around this? Man. There are so so
> many people on the road who are dangerous yet get
> regular sleep. Please .... For yourself as well as
> for everyone else. Your calm and relaxed, that's
> good. But you're mentally exhausted, your
> concentration is poor and your coordination is
> great. Please don't die on the road.
>
> "It may sound crazy but although i have lots of
> energy i feel mentally exhausted.

> My concentration is poor, coordination isn't
> brilliant, yet i feel calm, relaxed and have so
> much energy."

TroySantos
when I re read my post, I realised how crazy driving sounded!
OOH Poor concentration when writing posts!!!!

Sure, as soon as i realised what was happening to me I stayed off the road and am keeping myself (and others) safe!
I did sleep a little last night, but i wont be driving again until im well rested!

happyway
thanks for posting.
I did have a daily practice, that was over a year ago now, i just fell out of the habit.

I have noticed that when the going gets tough, meditation, exercise, hobbies (all the things that actually improve my life and nourish my spirit) are the first things that i let go of in order to concentrate on the presenting difficulties!!!
That's why i decided to clean up my diet in the first place.

Making that decision appears to have catapulted me into a place where i need to address all of these other issues!
Maybe its a wake up call.
Meditation will help,thanks!

Blessings
Lorretta

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables