Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I am New and I have Newbie questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2007 05:10PM

Greetings,

I am just experimenting with raw food. I have some recipe books(I suppose they can no longer be called cook books). Now I have some questions. I thought of making each question a new post, but I'll lump them all together.

1. I do not see Green Beans in any of the recipe books I have. Is there a reason? Should Green beans/wax beans NOT be eaten raw? Are there any vegetables that should NOT be eat raw? What do I need to be aware of?

2. As I read, I have learned that nothing should be higher than a certain temperature 115 degrees in some books, and different temperatures in others. What about cold? If I harvest veggies from my garden, wash them well and freeze them, do the enzymes die? Also,I know that fresh is best, but what about frozen veggies at the store. They are just OH SO convenient.

3. Everyone is talking about soaking nuts. Why not just eat the nuts as they are? Why soak them first? I know that someon seeds need to be sprouted to make them edible or enhance enzymes, what what is wrong about cracking open hickory nuts or wall nuts and just eating them?

I am kind of excited about starting. Hope for some good discussion.

peace

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am New and I have Newbie questions
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 30, 2007 05:53PM

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of peace/love/health/new tastes!

1. Avoid soy
2. Freezing destroys the food from between 30%-66%, can't remember if it was only enzymes or nutrients, or both.
3. Nuts, seeds, legumes and grains contain anti-enzymes, called enzymeinhibitors, that will make a great burden on the body.

GL HF

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 30, 2007 07:27PM

TP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2. As I read, I have learned that nothing should
> be higher than a certain temperature 115 degrees
> in some books, and different temperatures in
> others. What about cold? If I harvest veggies
> from my garden, wash them well and freeze them, do
> the enzymes die? Also,I know that fresh is best,
> but what about frozen veggies at the store. They
> are just OH SO convenient.

You are right, fresh is best. Freezing is not as bad as cooking! But frozen veggies you buy at the store were usually cooked before being frozen.

> 3. Everyone is talking about soaking nuts. Why
> not just eat the nuts as they are? Why soak them
> first? I know that someon seeds need to be
> sprouted to make them edible or enhance enzymes,
> what what is wrong about cracking open hickory
> nuts or wall nuts and just eating them?

It's better to soak your nuts and seeds, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I soak most, but not always and I don't worry too much about it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 30, 2007 08:16PM

A naturopath once told me that berries are the only food that increase in nutritional value when you freeze them.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 31, 2007 03:01AM

If you like green beans raw and your body digests them without any distress, then eat them. This holds true for any raw food. The easiest to eat raw vegetables are those that are typically found in green salads. The raw vegetables that I avoid are those that are high in cellulose content. I also avoid the starchy raw vegetables like potatoes, yam, sweet potatoes, winter squash, etc.

If you have an abundance of fruits or vegetables, more than you can eat, by all means, freeze them and enjoy them later. Fresh is the best way to eat your fruits and vegetables, but frozen is not as bad as cooking them. As for buying store bought frozen products, you ought to check to make sure the produce hasn't been blanched or pasteurized, as this cooks the produce.

Nothing beats the taste or quality or nutrition of fresh foods.

I don't soak my nuts. I eat them without soaking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables