Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

seed and nut butters
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2007 07:34PM

Just wondering what people think about commercially-prepared "raw" seed and nut butters. I know that Living Tree only promotes one brand (Rejuvenate ?), but the cost scares me off. I do at times grind my own seeds and nuts, but do not actually make butter from them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seed and nut butters
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: February 27, 2007 08:33PM

I just bought almond butter from shazzie.
I am happy with the taste and all, but I mostly bought it to see if my homemade almond butters were "correctly" made. I think I am gonna stick to my own.

I believe the high price is for the cost of the organic almonds, which can get pretty expensive. Also packaging, labour, bla bla.

I had mine with spinach salad today and all I could taste was the sweet cherry-ness of almonds. winking smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 27, 2007 09:41PM

My nut butters don't turn out anything like store bought. They are more powdery or pasty rather than creamy. Is this normal? I like them though. It isn't like I am going to spread them on bread.

Posted by: tristani ()
Date: February 27, 2007 10:41PM

personally, i love raw almond butter from a health store near by. not sure of the brand but i love it. i haven't tried to make anything like that myself but the stuff i buy is great. i like using it with bananas, celery, or even in a smoothie. yummy

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 28, 2007 10:06PM

Most brands sold at most health food stores aren't actually raw. They have not been roasted, but the processing of the nut have caused them to reach a temperature that's high enough to kill the enzymes. So, you have an unliving product.

I was also shocked when I found out about the "not REALLY raw" raw products that I had been eating when I first started the raw journey. Then I was shocked when I saw the price of the truly raw products. What worked for me was to go ahead and buy the "truly raw" nut butters and to rely on them less as a staple in my diet. Now after two years I hardly ever eat them - mostly I use tahini in recipes. I buy it from NaturalZing.com

Also, you can add a dash of olive oil to your nuts to make your own nut butter more creamy. This way you can soak the nuts and get out the enzyme inhibitors first and then your own nutbutter is healthier than some of those that you buy.

Nowdays, I mostly prefer an avocado when I'm wanting something creamy.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 02, 2007 03:24PM

Avocado is way better , nut butters are really heavy, but good if you are transitioning and need to feel weighed down in order to feel full.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables