Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spiral slicer
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:22AM

Have you tried this type of spiral slicer?
I've seen it pretty cheap, but don't know if it works well.
Appreciate your comments!

[www.gourmetsleuth.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral slicer
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:27AM

rosemary-mine was 65$-to me that is expensive. i got it and i thought it was cheaply made...its not and it is simply wonderful. i went everywhere and no one kne what it was.i went to kitchen kaboodle and they had gotten one it the day before i came in and they did not even know what it was.i grabbed it as i had been to macys and target and walmart and k-mart and health food stores.i had my doubts but that is a wonderful one. i made zucchini noodles.it was sooo good. have fun.taylor

Date: February 22, 2007 03:37AM

thanks! i saw it for $23 aussie dollars, if it's exactly the same one i'm not sure, looks the same to me.

i make zucchini noodles with my mandolin currently and they are fabulous. i fed 'spaghetti bolagnaise' to my ex BF and he thought it was delicious and the real thing! ha-ha. he then complained he wasn't getting his carbs. i did explain that fruit has plenty of carbs and you don't need to eat glue pasta/bread etc. yum - i am getting hungry. have to run to the store!

Date: February 22, 2007 11:15PM

rosemary-did u get it?? it is wonderful.man! that is cheap.let me know how u like it.hugs taylor

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: February 23, 2007 12:43AM

I have the spirooli, which I bought about a year ago for ~@12,00. It's available at Amazon.com now for about $32:

[www.rawveganbooks.com]

It was borderline hard to use when I got it: the feet are supposed to suction to the counter but never worked that well. You need three hands to use it properly: One hand to turn the crank, one to hold the machine in place, and a third hand to push the vegetable carriage. Now after a year the rubber feet have hardened and are completely useless, so it's even harder to work the machine. I've been trying to find replacement feet with no success so far.

Rosemary, the Benriner version you bought at Gourmet Sleuth looks better and more stable because it works vertically. I'm tempted to get it.

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:19AM

Hey, I got mine online for $45, well almost $50 with the shipping. I LOVE it!

I have the same one from the link, it's the Benriner Cook's Helper. It is awesome!!!

Spend a few minutes online, you can find it several places with different prices.

Sorry I can't remember where I got mine... but I found it with google.

Good luck... you'll love it!

KathyT

Date: February 23, 2007 01:25AM

Kathy t -i have the same u have. it is so wonderful.i was like rosemary though when i saw it-it looks cheaply made but it is not.it is the best to use as in fun and easy.don't u think so? love it. i have a mandolin slicer i have yet to use.its next to get out and use.i don't know how it works yet.taylor

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: February 23, 2007 02:18AM

Taylor, is it what is called potato treader ?
love
Cynthia

Date: February 23, 2007 02:27AM

boy Cynthia-that sounds like it may be that but i don't know. i had never heard of a mandolin slicer or a spiral slicer.so i don't know what all the other names are. maybe...hugs taylor

Date: February 23, 2007 05:04AM

It's the Benriner Cookhelp Turning (something). I just gave in and ordered it from here: [www.cutleryandmore.com] for $49.95. They have free shipping if your order is over $59, or $4.95 shipping otherwise.

It's more than I wanted to spend, but.... As well as being a better product than the spirooli, it will take up less space in my kitchen.

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: February 23, 2007 09:26AM

HAHA, this thread reminds me of when I was shopping online for mine... I read about the saladucco at a website where people posted their reviews... and this woman was ranting about how she had wanting to get the Benriner spirilizer, but when it came it was the same old saladucco that she had bought once before, and it broke so easy. She called the store she had ordered it from, and the man there kept trying to tell her she had ordered the wrong thing. She didn't believe him, and was just ranting about how there is NO SUCH THING as the Benriner, it was just some evil plot to get people to buy a saladucco with a different name. She was really mad.

LOL... She ordered the wrong thing! That's what's funny... that she had ordered the wrong thing, and she insisted that the company selling them (they sold BOTH) was lying and that the Benriner was fake.

I hope the poor thing discovered her error and got the real thing at some point!

Taylor, I have a mandoline as well.... I don't know how to use the thing! LOL. Maybe someone can give us a Mandoline 101 course!

KathyT

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 23, 2007 09:44AM

KathyT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe someone can give us a Mandoline 101 course!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: February 23, 2007 11:16AM

rob,u are the greatest source of info and thank u for always helping.taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Date: February 28, 2007 04:03AM

heven't got it yey, but definately will, when I am in town again!

Date: February 28, 2007 03:23PM

I found (and bought !!) the benriner spiral slicer in Montreal yesterday. WOAOW !!!! it is very efficient, and pretty wonderful to make veggie sphaghettis !! Thank you Rosemary to have started this thread...
Awhile ago, I wanted to get the saladecco - glad I didn't find it then...

love to you all
Cynthia

Date: February 28, 2007 03:26PM

cynthia,

Which benriner did you get? -- the little green one you push down on or the horizontal one with the sliding hopper?

Date: March 02, 2007 04:32AM

got my spiral slicer. it is exactly the same as in the photo but blue and white. anyway made spaghetti today it and was lots of fun. i think this would be a good fun for kids too.

i saw a copy of the magic bullet for $17 american dollars too. have to resist buying it!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 02, 2007 03:22PM

GET THE SPIROOLI ...THE SPIRAL SLICER SUCKS

Date: March 02, 2007 03:31PM

I got my vertical Benriner and I really like it. Much better than the Spirooli. The rubber feet on my Spirooli hardened and became useless after a year, and I can't find replacements. It makes the Spirooli very hard to use. The Benriner is much better because it's vertical.

Date: March 02, 2007 04:12PM

greenie, sorry for this late answer. I got the vertical one. The other was way much too costly ( almost twice as much)
It looks cheap though but is quite sturdy - my son loves to make raw veggie garnish with it.

love,
Cynthia

Date: March 02, 2007 04:21PM

Cynthia,

I got that one too, and I'm happy. It's easier to use than the vertical ones. I'm going to sell my Spirooli.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 07, 2007 05:08AM

I like the way my noodles come out on the spiroli. However, the suction feet don't work well. I love to make noodles out of english cucumbers.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2007 05:36PM

I bought mine on line from rawguru.com. It's the one Alissa Cohen uses in her video and I love it. It's not Benriner It's a saladacco Paid $25 for it. Here it is. Is anyone else using this one?

[www.rawguru.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables