Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can you use the oven to dehydrate?
Posted by: Tadey ()
Date: March 10, 2007 04:45PM

Can you use the oven to dehydrate? If so what do I put the oven on. What a good recipe for flax crackers. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you use the oven to dehydrate?
Posted by: Pam ()
Date: March 11, 2007 01:54AM

There's a couple of things you can do. You can turn the oven on its lowest setting and then leave the door propped open 3 or 4 inches.

The other thing you can do is make a cord with a light bulb attached to it. I've done this before but I loss the instructions and I threw the contraption away quite awhile ago. Anyway, the instructions didn't really help me. Standing in the Home Depot looking confused was how I did it. A kind electrician helped me and he had half the parts I needed in his pocket.

Basically, you can cut the connector end off a regular extension cord. Then you get the right type of double wire and light bulb holder thingy in the electrical section. You strip the ends of the extension cord and the double wire and attach the two together. Then you attach the light bulb thingy. Put in a 50 watt light bulb and drape it across the top of the oven door, then close the door. Viola! You have a dehydrator. You'll want to use an oven thermometer to check the temperature right next to the food. You may need to use a smaller (or bigger) light bulb or prop the door open a little. You will need to rotate the food because the heat will be uneven.

I hope this helps. Sorry I can't be more specific. But any electrician in the aisles of a Home Depot could help. The clerks used to be able to help, but they aren't as knowledgeable as they used to be. Good luck!

Pam

Re: Can you use the oven to dehydrate?
Posted by: Tadey ()
Date: March 12, 2007 11:58PM

Thanks Pam I think I might try to leave the door open.

Tadey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables