Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HELP with Dehydrators - 5 tray or 9 tray????
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 15, 2007 04:39AM

Any suggestions for buying a dehydrator. I am new to this and the 5-tray seems like enough but seems like the 9 is more popular.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Dori

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP with Dehydrators - 5 tray or 9 tray????
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: March 15, 2007 06:36AM

I bought the 5 tray shortly after going raw and I wish that I had bought the 9 tray. When I go shopping and bring home lots of nuts and seeds, I like to soak and sprout and dehydrate them and many times I have to "stagger" things because I don't have enough trays.

Also, when the garden "explodes" and I'm trying to dehydrate tomatoes, I need the extra trays. If you can afford the extra - I vote for the nine tray.

LIfe Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: March 15, 2007 10:50PM

Nine tray gets my vote too smiling smiley

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: March 15, 2007 11:04PM

No! TEN trays is best:
[sausagemaker.com]

;-)

Or, if you've got more money, 12 trays is better:
[sausagemaker.com]

I have the D10 and really like it. Stainless steel is way nicer than plastic, and will last longer (the plastic gets brittel after a few years).

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: March 15, 2007 11:29PM

I have a small place and prepare food just for myself. I bought the 9-tray and replaced it with the 5 tray because the 9 tray model has a larger fan and it was very noisy.

If I had a large enough place I would definitely have the 9 tray model. But I live in a small space and the rooms all open into each other. So I could hear the thing in my bedroom.

Ian, on the sausagemaker, is the heating element in the back so that all the trays get the same temp? Also, I notice that the thermostat does not have the temps printed on it, just Low Medium and High. The Excalibur's thermostat shows degrees, which leads me to believe you can control the temp more precisely.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: March 15, 2007 11:38PM

The 9-tray I would get only if I had 4 more raw foodists to "uncook" for.

The 5-tray is double the yield of the 4-tray and like another poster said, the 9-tray is much noisier (and also uses more electricity).

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: March 16, 2007 12:47AM

Hi Greenie,

interesting coment about the fan and noise. The noise generated by your 9 tray could have been because of a faulty component. Generally, the bigger the fan the quieter it is - this is because big fans can rotate slower while still moving the same volume of air as a fast little fan. My D10 has a BIG fan and I can bearly tell if it's on or not (my smaller plastic dehydrator was soooooooo noisy).

Yes, the heating element is at the back to keep all the trays at an even temp. Also, yes, there are no temperature markings, but this doesn't bother me since I always calibrate my setting with a thermonitor first. Even with my old dehydrator that did have temperature markings, i would use a thermonitor to calibrate it (the temp marks turned out to be off by quiet a bit).

The D12 is the one I want, digital temperature control! But I can't justify it right now. Maybe if I owned my own home and put in my ideal 100% raw kitchen.

Cheers,
Ian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables