Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Great cheap raw spaghetti tool!
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 28, 2008 12:15AM

I have been looking at the Japanese Benringer Turning Slicer & Kitchen Helper for ages because I know they are the best. But they are also pricey, anywhere from about $50-$100 or more.

I had become a bit desperate of late after my 10 day fast as I really wanted to do more raw but didn't like the way peeled zuchini tasted even when cut into strips. It was tough and crispy, not at all like spaghetti noodles. I haven't eaten wheat noodles for years but still love the texture of biting into the noodle with the sauce.

Well, I was at the Asian store today and I went down their kitchen aisle. I thought that if the Japanese have tools, the Chinese must have, too. I found a tool called a "Slicer" which is stainless steel. There was an almost identical tool next to it called a Melon Slicer for about 80 cents less but the blade width was narrower and closer together. The blade is zigzap like. The cost for the Slicer was less than $3. What a bargain.

When I got home, I had some raw tomato soup from yesterday and I thought I would put it over raw zuchini noodles. So, I tested out my new tool. Amazing. It made angel hair like strands and I put it in a bowl with the raw tomato soup and some Italian seasonings.

Wow! My taste buds were bursting! The raw spaghetti was soooo delicious! Texture really makes a difference. I could even slurp (not lady like, I know) it up like cooked spaghetti. So delicious. I could even bite into the Angel Hair zuchini and have the same bite sensation as with cooked.

Just wanted to share my new tool and let you know that there might be an alternative to the $30 Spiralizers, etc. Bon Apetit! Therese

Re: Great cheap raw spaghetti tool!
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 28, 2008 01:01AM

do you have a photo

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 28, 2008 02:32AM

life,
Have you tried pealing it with a potato peeler (be sure to remove the tough outer skin completely first, obviously) into a bowl of hot water? By the time I'm done peeling all of the zucchini or summer squash into the hot water, and then strain off all the water, it's soft and warm, just like noodles.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 28, 2008 03:22AM

Let me see if this works.

Date: September 28, 2008 03:29AM

Kwan, I have tried the veggie peeler trick and the strips were too crispy and thick. Didn't do the water part. With the Slicer abover, the noodles are soft and yet have that al dente bite to it like wheat pasta. Thanks for your suggestions.

Suvine, I put the pictures up. Couldn't figure out how to make it smaller but the size is 5.5 inches long and 2.75 inches wide at the widest point (the exterior blue plastic around the blade across the blade to the other side.). It fits nicely in the hand and is easy to use. Peel at least 3/4's of the zuchini and then take the slicer from one end of the zuchini lengthwise to the other putting slight pressure on the blade so that it cuts into the veggie. You will have to take the strips off as you go but it's worth it. Good luck.

Therese

Date: September 28, 2008 03:37AM

Wow, that slicer looks really great. But it's expensive, right? I get my vegie peelers at the dollar store.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 28, 2008 03:49AM

Hi Kwan, It was $2.80 approximately. A bit more than $1 but I think it's worth it when I think of the outcome (I can now have pasta dishes that taste like real pasta which I haven't had since becoming raw.) and compared to what spiralizer cost ($30 on up typically).

I used to live off of noodles and it was very difficult giving it up in all forms: Vietnamese food, Italian food, Chinese food, Korean food, American food, etc. I just love Pho & Spring rolls and Spaghetti and Lo Mein and Chap Che, etc. I can now make raw forms of them since I have a noodle I can work with that tastes like a real noodle but is raw. I've seen where people use Kelp noodles for some of the Asian dishes but I think that even though they say it is raw, kelp doesn't come naturally in noodle form so they must process it in some way to make it clear and noodle looking. Also, kelp noodles are hard to come by as I looked in the Asian store today.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: September 28, 2008 11:02AM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing (o:

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: September 28, 2008 01:13PM

Ooh.....yippee!!!!!!

Thanks! We have several asian stores here. I'm gonna go shopping! Thanks for the picture!!!!!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: September 28, 2008 02:06PM

life--
Great! I'm gonna get me one of those, for sure!

Date: September 28, 2008 04:29PM

You're welcome Guys smiling smiley

Posted by: Natsroses ()
Date: September 28, 2008 04:51PM

Hey Therese,

I know we are pretty close by, I also live in NE Ohio (I think you have mentioned before you are from here). I am in North Royalton. Where did you get the peeler from? I would love to get one.

Thanks!
Nathalie

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 28, 2008 05:33PM

That is so freaking cool!
What about an orange zester that works for carrot pasta

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 05:34PM by suvine.

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: September 28, 2008 06:24PM

do you live in the bay area, CA?

i wonder which chinese store you went to.

i want one of those, i need to eat more of a variety of raw,

some raw zuchinni angel hair pasta stuff with blended raw tomato puree sounds

heavenly!

i wonder how long organic raw zuchinni and tomatos will be in season...sad.

its so hard to be raw for me in the wintertime.

Date: September 28, 2008 11:49PM

Nathalie, I got mine at CAM Asia Supermarket at 21200 Miles Rd, North Randall OH 44128. Tel: 216-518-1600. It is near North Randall Mall off of Miles Road exit. from 480/422. I have the receipt and it was $2.99 Ea.

Suvine, I thought about a zester but not sure how that would work with veggies. Have you tried it?

Pineapple, I am currently in NE Ohio. The Bay area should have lots of Asian stores where you can find such a tool. The store that I go to isn't that well stocked so I imagine that the tool would be pretty essential for them to carry it.

I was thinking I might try to grow some stuff inside in the winter with grow lights. I've heard it works. Just trying to figure out how to do it and if I can afford it. Also, I don't always buy organic. I buy what muscle tests strong. Some times it is organic but sometimes, it's not. Also, not sure if you like frozen but I think it's better than nothing. Buy frozen or freeze yourself and then defrost in refrigerator before you need it. However, I don't think tomatoes and zuchini freeze well. I know I pulled some okra out and it was fine after defrosting. I had to use it b/c I bought it before I went to Westside Market and got 3.5 lbs of fresh (it was really 3 lbs for this price but he gave me more) for $2. Good luck.

Therese

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 30, 2008 08:24AM

cool im gonna try an find this too smiling smiley

life101 i can suggest that you look on the interent for indoor growing ideas from the marijuana grow sights there is tons of info on lights and stuff .. just get over the marijuana stuff and imagine their talking abot tomaters smiling smiley

id post some links but some folks got offended last time i did that so .. just look under marijuana , hydroponics , etc smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables